Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishaahmed96)
    Yh same here it defos helps with that
    So are u excited to go to university ?
    Any plans this summer ?

And no probs I was jus thinking mayb I no u if we went to same one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, not sure if I'll be taking a gap year though so things are still a bit muddled :/ which university are you going to?

Not much, just busy with Ramadan atm. Off to Cardiff soon to visit family and I'll be back in time for results day, and then I'll just be looking for a job I think. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    Yes, not sure if I'll be taking a gap year though so things are still a bit muddled :/ which university are you going to?

Not much, just busy with Ramadan atm. Off to Cardiff soon to visit family and I'll be back in time for results day, and then I'll just be looking for a job I think. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I got and offer from Liverpool which I love
    But becoz of personal circumstances my exams didn't go as well as I hoped so I'm not sure I'm gna meet my offer :/ so I'm kinda in limbo bout wat I'm going to be doing

I really need and want a job but I'm not allowed unfortunately so I'm gna have to try convince my dad some more

Results day ahhhh sooo scary :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Second paragraph was a scenario. I could've made it clearer.

What's with the "I'd rather not tell you"?

I had memorised the 30th Juz a couple years back. Now I forgot most of it, unfortunately.

Another two questions: What do you aspire to be when your older? When are you looking to get married?
    I dunno, I like to keep that fact between myself and Allah in an attempt to protect my sincerity and protect myself from 'ayn as well :/ Sorry if it offended you! I haven't memorised tons, I knew quite a lot when I was younger but I forgot a lot because I didn't keep it up

- No idea, I think I'd quite like to be a teacher but I haven't really thought it out. Doing an English degree is pretty limiting in terms of career options imo

- Whenever Allah wills, I'd like to be married young though (under 25). Can't wait to have a family insha Allah

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I like to keep that fact between myself and Allah in an attempt to protect my sincerity and protect myself from 'ayn as well :/ Sorry if it offended you! I haven't memorised tons, I knew quite a lot when I was younger but I forgot a lot because I didn't keep it up

- No idea, I think I'd quite like to be a teacher but I haven't really thought it out. Doing an English degree is pretty limiting in terms of career options imo

- Whenever Allah wills, I'd like to be married young though (under 25). Can't wait to have a family insha Allah
    Insha'Allah you do well for yourself. Coincidentally, my parents wanted me to go down the english/teaching route.

One last question (and I promise I'll stop): What's your ethnic background? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Insha'Allah you do well for yourself. Coincidentally, my parents wanted me to go down the english/teaching route.

One last question (and I promise I'll stop): What's your ethnic background? :rolleyes:
    Thanks! Insha Allah.

I'm Somali, have you not seen me on the Somali soc? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Insha Allah.

I'm Somali, have you not seen me on the Somali soc? Haha
    I'm always in there, so you can never be too sure.

Alright, all the best with your grades. Until next time, I suppose

A/salaam (Peace be upon you).

ReputationRep:
    I went to an Islamic girls school and also Somali. Some of the questions here are quite... Ridiculous but I guess that's because many people don't know much about Islam. How do people react when you tell them you went to an Islamic school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm always in there, so you can never be too sure.

Alright, all the best with your grades. Until next time, I suppose

A/salaam (Peace be upon you).
    Wa alaykum salaam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samia95)
    I went to an Islamic girls school and also Somali. Some of the questions here are quite... Ridiculous but I guess that's because many people don't know much about Islam. How do people react when you tell them you went to an Islamic school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're always shocked, and usually say something like "So... Did you learn normal subjects there or only Islam?" Or: "Was it strict? Did you have to wear niqab?" :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was able to practise my faith openly and without question, which is difficult to find in a state school.

It is not difficult to find in a state school were all manner of faiths are taught and openly practiced.

But you would not know this as you didn't go to one,

You also refer to Islam as your Faith. just out if interest is this really your chosen faith? Or is this the faith of your parents and so on... That has been forced on to you until you except it and believe it's your faith??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godn9)
    It is not difficult to find in a state school were all manner of faiths are taught and openly practiced.

But you would not know this as you didn't go to one,

You also refer to Islam as your Faith. just out if interest is this really your chosen faith? Or is this the faith of your parents and so on... That has been forced on to you until you except it and believe it's your faith??
    I went to a state school for 2 years actually. I'm not just making this stuff up. In a state school it may be difficult to keep up daily prayers. In my sixth form I had to pray in a cramped office. In my old school I was able to pray in a specially designated prayer area. Do you understand what I mean now?

Of course Islam is my chosen faith. My parents raised me Muslim but I learnt about Islam on my own and decided that it was undoubtedly the truth Hence I am a Muslim

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school for 2 years actually. I'm not just making this stuff up. In a state school it may be difficult to keep up daily prayers. In my sixth form I had to pray in a cramped office. In my old school I was able to pray in a specially designated prayer area. Do you understand what I mean now?

Of course Islam is my chosen faith. My parents raised me Muslim but (by the grace of God) I learnt about Islam on my own and decided that it was undoubtedly the truth Hence I am a Muslim

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I went to a state school with very few white non Muslim kids like me, and there was a prayer area, tbh all 3 state schools had this from what i can remember, but proberbly all about funding/money and the area,

Would or have you ever got with a white guy?

ReputationRep:
    is not dating a white guy a religious decision or a personal thing, ie white guys dont turn you on?
    And do muslims girls who cover them selves to protect there modesty still go and get them selves pampered and hair done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godn9)
    is not dating a white guy a religious decision or a personal thing, ie white guys dont turn you on?
    And do muslims girls who cover them selves to protect there modesty still go and get them selves pampered and hair done?
    In Islam dating is not allowed full stop. When it comes to marriage however, like I said if the guy was Muslim I wouldn't rule it out. Don' matter if he's white or black or brown or whatever.

And yes of course lmao, we're allowed to do whatever we want with out hair or body provided that no strange men can see it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is a really interesting topic and a great opportunity for questions. For the record I think you'd make a great teacher!

My questions:

If your parents found a 'suitable' man for you to marry, would you have a genuine choice?
    Does it not annoy you that Muslim men seem to hold the positions of authority and call the shots within your communities?
    Why can't women attend the burial of another Muslim and be given their chance to pay their respects and see the person laid to rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willowbob)
    This is a really interesting topic and a great opportunity for questions. For the record I think you'd make a great teacher!

My questions:

If your parents found a 'suitable' man for you to marry, would you have a genuine choice?
    Does it not annoy you that Muslim men seem to hold the positions of authority and call the shots within your communities?
    Why can't women attend the burial of another Muslim and be given their chance to pay their respects and see the person laid to rest?
    Just want to say it's so lovely to actually have people like u on here who ask genuine questions in a decent way without being rude and sarcastic about Islam and Muslims

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willowbob)

My questions:

Thank you!

1. Would I have a choice? Undoubtedly, yes. It's explicitly stated that both parties must be consenting for a marriage to take place in Islam, so for my consent to not be there the marriage would be invalid. There are of course cases where a girl may feel pressured by her parents to accept their suggestion, out of a sense of duty (or even fear) to them. Sometimes these marriages work out and sometimes they don't. It's really not that clear cut. Personally I hope to never be in such a situation, and I think all women should know their rights and exercise them clearly so that they don't end up in a situation where they're tricked into something they don't want.

2. Nope. I'll be honest with you, I did question it a lot in the past because I didn't really understand the wisdom behind it but now I'm content with it Alhamdulilah (praise be to God). We all have our positions in Islam and I'm happy with mine. Also it's worth noting that in Islam we believe that we human beings know very little, and cannot comprehend the wisdom behind certain things as that wisdom lies only with God. As He says in the Qur'an: "But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not."[2:216]. Knowing this allows me to live my life with a relative sense of contentment.

3. I'm afraid I don't know enough about this topic to really give you a definitive answer (don't want to speak without knowledge and then confuse you) but I know there is a slight difference of opinion on this topic. I think it's important to note here though that a Muslim's perspective on death is different to a non-Muslims, and so visiting graves has a different meaning to us. For example, you might go to visit a grave to pay your respects to the deceased, whereas a Muslim might visit a graveyard to remind themselves that death is inevitable. May sound morbid to you but that's just the way it is. Hope that helped, sorry I couldn't give a more definite answer! If you have any more questions don't hesistate to ask

ReputationRep:
    How was the education on the topic of evolution?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    How was the education on the topic of evolution?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We were taught evolution as normal really, but the teachers did make it clear at the beginning of the lesson(s) that what we were learning contradicted Islamic belief.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As salamu alaykum

Do you wear the hijab?
    When did you last visit Somalia?
    Can you speak Somali?
    Have you ever had a boyfriend and if not then have you ever desired to have one?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.