Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: Do you get along with your own gender? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you get on with your own gender?
    I am a girl and yes I get on with girls
    26.42%
    I am a girl and no, I prefer boys or mixed groups
    22.26%
    I am a boy and yes I get on with boys
    35.47%
    I am a boy and no, I prefer girls or mixed groups
    15.85%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke Or Pepsi)
    I agree, and I don't reject girls automatically as friends! I have some amazing girl friends. It just so happens that the *****iest friends are always the girls, so my friendship group is just skewed in that way... But I agree that some girls do generate the whole 'girl v girl' thing.
    I'm exactly the same, I have loads of great girl friends that aren't all about drama or petty stuff. Yep, I know! I don't get it, how is it possible to not be able to be friends with at least a few girls? Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Also, when girls say how guys have so much less drama, as if they're all so mature.

ReputationRep:
    The perks of hanging out with girl heavily outweigh the perks of hanging out with a guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    girls who can't get along with other girls are usually just *****es themselves
    How does that make sense? Me hanging out with guys because I get on with them better makes me a ***** how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    How does that make sense? Me hanging out with guys because I get on with them better makes me a ***** how?
    Reread my comment, and then ask me a question which makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    I don't prefer either gender for friends. But there are some subjects which I tend to talk about more with guys and vice versa. For example most girls I know are not interested that much in football so I wouldn't talk about that nearly as much as I would with male friends.

I feel as if some girls jump on the "girls are *****es so I prefer hanging out with guys" brigade because they think it makes them special or something.
    Absolutely. I can kind of understand this as it's a way to disassociate themselves from negative traits that are associated with women, but it's tainting all other women with those stereotypes. I'm surprised to see someone who calls herself a feminist (or did?) come out with this stuff - it really is doing all women down by claiming we're all (or nearly all) like that stereotype. Women aren't any more *****y than men - it's just that people notice it in women more. My friendships with men involve just as many dramas as my friendships with women.

ReputationRep:
    I get along with animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Absolutely. I can kind of understand this as it's a way to disassociate themselves from negative traits that are associated with women, but it's tainting all other women with those stereotypes. I'm surprised to see someone who calls herself a feminist (or did?) come out with this stuff - it really is doing all women down by claiming we're all (or nearly all) like that stereotype. Women aren't any more *****y than men - it's just that people notice it in women more. My friendships with men involve just as many dramas as my friendships with women.
    This. My father is the *****iest person I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    Reread my comment, and then ask me a question which makes sense.
    You claimed girls that don't get along with girls are *****es and I asked how.

Not really. I'm open to friendships with women, just in my experience, female friendships don't work. I'm not saying all women are like that. And I've yet to have the same problems with men that I have with women

(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    This. My father is the *****iest person I know.
    Really? Interesting

ReputationRep:
    Girls are in my experience more sensitive and they tend to be more understanding. Guys love to act tough and invincible and "yeah I'm an emotionless, godless, sex-obsessed, football-playing machine".

That said, I'd be slightly more comfortable with guys in other settings and for different reasons. A) I don't develop crushes on males and B) guys are more likely to share the same interests as me.

So my answer is complicated I guess. Girls are better for deeper relationships (not sexual, strictly friendly) than guys (e.g. I won't ever discuss my feelings with other men), guys are better for more superficial, Xbox-friendships.

ReputationRep:
    I've got male friends but I don't really have a friendship group with guys in, I tend to fall into small groups of girls as a rule, and I'm pretty sure the majority of my friends are girls although I do have good friends who are guys. I've had a few incidences where male friends have asked me out and I'm still terrible at handling it, I deny it's happening, so although I like friends of both genders most of them are girls.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Interesting
    Seriously. Like he's nice to everybody but he's so two-faced. Practically everyone he meets gets a *****y nickname.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have two friendship groups... one just girls and one mixed gender. I get on with them equally well

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I'm open to friendships with women, just in my experience, female friendships don't work. I'm not saying all women are like that. And I've yet to have the same problems with men that I have with women
    You're probably not as open to female friendships as you think - if you've got this attitude that women are *****y/more drama/harder to get on with etc. that's going to affect how you form relationships with them. You're expecting problems with women so you get them. I've never had a problem forming friendships with women, and neither have most other women (although a lot of them do still come out with "women are *****y" stuff, excluding their friends) so I'd have to say the problem is with you.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to get along with people who have similar hobbies to me, such as playing video games, dancing, playing Magic the Gathering and RP'ing. As a result most of my friends come from gaming groups which tend to be mostly male. I get along with most, to be honest, but find I have more in common with guys?

ReputationRep:
    I get on with both pretty well although girls can be very *****y so I prefer guy friends

ReputationRep:
    It's different. It's pretty chill with the guys but with girls... You would expect a lot of emotions. A lot of *****ing. And girls hating each other without knowing each other, it's quite funny. But girls are great to talk to when it comes to really 'deep' stuff.

ReputationRep:
    You're probably not as open to female friendships as you think - if you've got this attitude that women are *****y/more drama/harder to get on with etc. that's going to affect how you form relationships with them. You're expecting problems with women so you get them. I've never had a problem forming friendships with women, and neither have most other women (although a lot of them do still come out with "women are *****y" stuff, excluding their friends) so I'd have to say the problem is with you.
    I'm pretty sure I keep an open mind about it, and I do have some female friends. I've just yet to meet a group of females I like and that like me - how does that make the problem with me?

Usually I leave female groups alone and just hang around with guys but for some reason female groups are actively nasty to me. Even though I try to stay out their way. So I don't see how I'm the problem

ReputationRep:
    I'm a complete *****, basically everything OP hates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornelius)
    Girls are in my experience more sensitive and they tend to be more understanding. Guys love to act tough and invincible and "yeah I'm an emotionless, godless, sex-obsessed, football-playing machine".

That said, I'd be slightly more comfortable with guys in other settings and for different reasons. A) I don't develop crushes on males and B) guys are more likely to share the same interests as me.

So my answer is complicated I guess. Girls are better for deeper relationships (not sexual, strictly friendly) than guys (e.g. I won't ever discuss my feelings with other men), guys are better for more superficial, Xbox-friendships.
    Perhaps I prefer superficial xbox friendships :lol: tbh I do generally game, read comics and have "guy" interests (my girly interests are things I do by myself) so that might be why

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I keep an open mind about it, and I do have some female friends. I've just yet to meet a group of females I like and that like me - how does that make the problem with me?

Usually I leave female groups alone and just hang around with guys but for some reason female groups are actively nasty to me. Even though I try to stay out their way. So I don't see how I'm the problem
    If you're approaching groups of women with the attitude of "they're *****y and they're going to hate me" is it really a surprise that they don't like you? Of courseit's going to affect your relationships with them! There are so many different women with different personalities and interests (just like men!) that if you have repeatedly failed to find a female friendship groups that likes you, then that does seem like there's a problem with you. Namely your terrible attitude to women as friends. Have you decided that this feminism thing is taking too long so you're just going to trample on the rest of us to be 'one of the guys'?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.