Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism = Female Supremacism: Men are the weaker sex. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You've a funny way of going about debating. Anyway never mind that I don't want to argue.

I honestly barely even understand what you are trying to make a point about, it all seems very ridiculous to me. Please feel free to explain to me what you think and why you think that in relation to the things you have said in this thread.
    You quoted me saying that newspapers just sell that which is controversial. I replied above (to two others) that this is to confuse the mid-market sensationalist papers with those that have built and maintained a reputation of quality and distinct political stance, which their articles reflect. The Guardian/Times/FT/DT don't simply chase views - they value numbers of course, but they prioritise their stance and support movements/ideas/opinions within that. And for The Guardian this means supporting feminism.

ReputationRep:
    Yep and all feminists think that. So with that in mind OP, go make me a sandwhich. I think my obvious strengths are put to better use elsewhere. Good day to you sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    You quoted me saying that newspapers just sell that which is controversial. I replied above (to two others) that this is to confuse the mid-market sensationalist papers with those that have built and maintained a reputation of quality and distinct political stance, which their articles reflect. The Guardian/Times/FT/DT don't simply chase views - they value numbers of course, but they prioritise their stance and support movements/ideas/opinions within that. And for The Guardian this means supporting feminism.
    Okay personally I don't care what the Guardian thinks or what its views are , but why does this mean that all feminists support this kind of feminism? Which I'm pretty sure I saw you (might not have been you) say was the case on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Okay personally I don't care what the Guardian thinks or what its views are , but why does this mean that all feminists support this kind of feminism? Which I'm pretty sure I saw you (might not have been you) say was the case on this thread.
    I never said all feminists - but I said that if a national, mainstream, up-market, left-leaning newspaper is repeatedly publishing feminist articles - how on earth can anyone interpret these articles as radical? The same point has been made by someone else on the first page. The answer is that they are not radical - this is the movement.

ReputationRep:
    Then Multicultrualism is also supremacism...

ReputationRep:
    I never said all feminists - but I said that if a national, mainstream, up-market, left-leaning newspaper is repeatedly publishing feminist articles - how on earth can anyone interpret these articles as radical? The same point has been made by someone else on the first page. The answer is that they are not radical - this is the movement.
    Just because it's published in a main stream newspaper doesn't stop it being radical. I can't speak on behalf of the newspaper though obviously on why on earth they write this drivel.

This is their movement, but it's certainly not every feminists movement nor is it the whole movement. So it isn't the ​movement.

ReputationRep:
    Just because it's published in a main stream newspaper doesn't stop it being radical. I can't speak on behalf of the newspaper though obviously on why on earth they write this drivel.

This is their movement, but it's certainly not every feminists movement nor is it the whole movement. So it isn't the ​movement.
    I'm sorry, but it does. Something is no longer radical or extreme when it's supported by a national paper everyday! It is the movement, by and large. This is feminism today. I appreciate there are those who are reasonable, but they are in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but it does. Something is no longer radical or extreme when it's supported by a national paper everyday! It is the movement, by and large. This is feminism today. I appreciate there are those who are reasonable, but they are in the minority.
    I very much disagree that they are the minority.

ReputationRep:
    I very much disagree that they are the minority.
    They're in the majority of published feminist theorists. And nobody else but them is qualified to comment on what a movement they're not contributing to in terms of content is or is not. We're all lay people.

If you call yourself a feminist and don't follow what feminism actually teaches, i think you're mislabeling yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    They're in the minority of published feminist theorists. And nobody else but them is qualified to comment on what a movement they're not contributing to in terms of content is or is not. We're all lay people.

If you call yourself a feminist and don't follow what feminism actually teaches, i think you're mislabeling yourself.
    Yes they are in the minority of published feminists and I do think this is an issue.

And I am not mislabelling myself anything, though I may as well start calling myself egalitarian instead as there seems to be so much misconception about feminists and feminists as a whole and a group. It's like with religion, you get one crazy group that stands out and maybe even become the majority and suddenly all the rest of the non crazy religious people in that group get labelled with the crazies.

ReputationRep:
    It feels like the males on TSR bang on about feminism more than the females do. I don't understand why you all feel so threatened by it. Ofcourse there are man-hating feminists out there but they don't represent all feminists out there. I'm feminist but I definitely don't think men are the 'weaker sex' I don't think such a thing exists. I don't get why some of you are so threatened by feminism that you feel the need to constantly attack it. Let it go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tintinstutts)
    I don't think all Christians are bigots because of the Westboro baptist church so why is this article being used against feminism??It just feels like people (read: sexists) want to jump on anything that *smells* of misandry to prove that feminism isn't about equality/liberation for all genders. You must also then realise the privilege you have that you can turn off your computer/put down your newspaper and the hate against your gender stops. Women/transwomen/ambigender people/genderqueer people etc. etc. (anyone not a cis-man) do not have that freedom. PLEASE, if you are intelligent enough to spot something that is filled with unnecessary hate then use that intelligence to not let it form your opinion about a group of marginalised people striving for liberation. Now to some this article may include 'scientific sexism'. If a woman on the internet cheekily pointing all these things out is your worst experience of sexism, maybe you should (what's that nice phrase?) man up. I really do not need to pull out an impressive list of facts and figures that prove to you that men are in power, in control, have most of the money and land, commit most of the crimes, commit more violence against women than vice versa AND make up the majority of all comedy panel shows!!! We can bicker about bigoted journalism when women and men stand equal in this world, for now I'd rather sort out the gender-based violence, war/conflict rapes and lack of access to safe abortions that I'd say are a far bigger deal? The next time people come in here weeping that a feminist insulted their gender, I may 'get my knickers in a twist' and have to 'calm down dear'.
    Attached Images

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    Feminist's have finally shown their hand. Told the world what their true intentions and motivations are. Writing in the Guardian on Friday, prominent Feminist Hannah Betts said that, quote:

Without a glimmer of irony, she justifies these extraordinarily sexist and hate filled quotes on the back of some 'research' (scientific sexism), which says that males are the biologically weaker sex.

It really is a telling piece. It tells us men what we are up against. You can read the full diatribe here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...et-about-girls
    I think what you failed to consider is that it's in The Guardian, so does it really count? It's hardly the most credible of papers, despite that there seems to be no evidence that feminists are actually for equality, especially reading these forums.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are in the minority of published feminists and I do think this is an issue.

And I am not mislabelling myself anything, though I may as well start calling myself egalitarian instead as there seems to be so much misconception about feminists and feminists as a whole and a group. It's like with religion, you get one crazy group that stands out and maybe even become the majority and suddenly all the rest of the non crazy religious people in that group get labelled with the crazies.
    I meant majority.

ReputationRep:
    So even with all of the disadvantages of vulnerability and supposedly inferior intellect, men have still been able to implement a dominant patriarchal society over history. I wonder how. The irony :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    lol, come back when you understand the definition of feminism.

females > males = equality.
    okay then...

ReputationRep:
    Feminism isn't some kind of hive mind. One woman who calls herself a feminist is not representative of the majority, and the majority aren't representative of every individuals views. That's kind of the point of feminism, that women are seen as individuals. Or at least it's part of the point of my feminism, other feminists can do as they like as long as they're not harming anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    Yep and all feminists think that. So with that in mind OP, go make me a sandwhich. I think my obvious strengths are put to better use elsewhere. Good day to you sir.
    The No true scotsman fallacy escapes you, truly.

And considering that this article was published in The Guardian indicates that this is a mainstream view.

On another note, could you explain to me why the movement for equality, otherwise known as egalitarianism, is incessantly being called feminism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    Feminist's have finally shown their hand. Told the world what their true intentions and motivations are. Writing in the Guardian on Friday, prominent Feminist Hannah Betts said that, quote:
    Hannah Betts is not the chief representative of the the feminist movement. She's a journalist. It's like saying Piers Morgan represents the british people.

Her article is a bit of slap and tickle, take it with a pinch of salt. Although it does raise some interesting points, the main one being don't ignore boys they have issues too.

Don't take offence to an article written with humour, which if written by a male author would be represented as quality 'banter'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Feminism isn't some kind of hive mind. One woman who calls herself a feminist is not representative of the majority, and the majority aren't representative of every individuals views. That's kind of the point of feminism, that women are seen as individuals. Or at least it's part of the point of my feminism, other feminists can do as they like as long as they're not harming anyone.
    true, of course no individual speaks for the collective group, but any person cannot help but (even unconsciously) condition a generalisation about the attitudes of feminists when exposed to something like this.

i have a few female friends who are feminists (the good kind); they don't hate men, they don't believe men should be taken down a peg - they merely believe that women should be raised upwards.
    for equality to be acheived, there does not necessarily have to be a (widespread) negative impact on males, only a positive one on the perception of females.

i support feminism, but i just see more and more of these bandwagon idiots shouting hate towards men that i end up asking myself what is the actual point?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.