The Student Room Group

A levels V Degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hmm
Depends on the university. Those who are saying that their degrees were easier and they got a 1st/2:1 without much revision obviously went to crap unis.
Reply 42
Im finding my maths degree a bit harder ONLY because teaching is crap compared to Sixth form. If teaching was the same quality then the difficulty imo would be the same.
If you find a-levels harder then you're doing a **** degree.
Original post by Last Day Lepers

Pretty much this. The fact that anyone, especially those doing science/maths degrees would find A-levels harder is just hilarious.
As a uni student I'd say:
-A Levels were harder to study for than uni.
-GCSEs were harder to study for than A-Levels.

This is because I find it easier to study multiple facets of one discipline than less content on a range of subjects, so whether or not A Levels are harder than university or vice versa is too subjective to conclusively answer. It comes down to the way you study. The handy thing about how it worked out for me, is that it was harder at the lower levels, but also of less consequence if I didn't do as well. On this trajectory a PhD should be a cake walk.*

*(jokes, please PhD students, don't emerge from amidst the coffee cups to break my soul)
Original post by Last Day Lepers

^ This

ITT: OP admits he did a **** degree
By far and away the hardest exams I sat where at degree level. I did better because I was interested and enthusiastic about my subject. I absolutely hated A-levels (I found them rigid and dull) and did the bare minimum I needed to get into University.

However the important thing is that, as you go up the educational pyramid, your success becomes less about regurgitating factoids and applying pre-taught structures and moves to the talent of applying knowledge in a creative way to solve problems. This is why we don't see easy correlations between success at different levels (although the general trend is there).
Original post by uxa595
What do you lot do at uni out of curiosity?

I got AAAA at college and I'm at Warwick doing accounting and finance to put my comments into perceptive. It's hardly seen as either a joke uni or course but I still find it easier then A-levels.

If any of you do arts subjects, or go to some sub-par uni like Coventry or Leeds, please don't try to act like a cocky ****.

Also, if you didn't get at least AABish, I don't think you have any grounds to state uni is harder because you did poorly at college.

Me think the lady doth protest too much.

Anyway, I got AAA at advanced highers, now going into my final year of a MEng in Electronic and Electrical Engineering at a top 10 uni.

Not that any of this should matter because with a degree being a higher level than A-levels, by matter of virtue it should be harder irrespective of what uni you go to, or what you got at A-levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uxa595
Keep in mind employers for careers like law/

Do you genuinely think that lawyers are only hired from 6 universities?

consulting only really consider 6 unis so this is not just my thinking either.

Depends on the type of consultancy, although I've heard that the management ones generally only hire from two: Oxford and Cambridge.
Original post by uxa595
But its not.
Also, top 10 is pretty vague. The difference in difficulty from say Cambridge down to whatever you think is 10 would be huge.
Keep in mind employers for careers like law/consulting only really consider 6 unis so this is not just my thinking either.

Half of my family are solicitors they didn't go to the top 6, my brother is currently working at a law firm in london, he didn't even go to a top 10.

I study engineering, providing the course is accredited it's irrelevant what ranking the uni is if it's in the top 30.

Either way, whether employers consider uni ranking to be important or not is irrelevant. A degree should be harder than a-levels. You're being taught the next level of education, how could that possibly be easier. Even during my degree, each year has progressively got harder from studying the basic engineering modules in first year to the harder stuff now.

There is no way I could learn this stuff when I was doing my a-levels. I did 3 subjects for AH (a-levels) and I found it incredibly difficult, however, if I did it now, it would be a breeze.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uxa595

I got AAAA at college and I'm at Warwick doing accounting and finance to put my comments into perceptive. It's hardly seen as either a joke uni or course but I still find it easier then A-levels.

If any of you do arts subjects, or go to some sub-par uni like Coventry or Leeds, please don't try to act like a cocky ****.

Also, if you didn't get at least AABish, I don't think you have any grounds to state uni is harder because you did poorly at college.

Physics at Imperial.

3 A*s and an A at A-level. A degree (at least at Imperial) is a whole different ballgame to A-levels - which in comparison are an absolute joke.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uxa595

Sorry to tell you dude, but Accounting & Finance is an easy course, to the point that the maths department is actively trying to stop people taking your modules as unusual options because they're so easy.
Original post by uxa595

I know somebody who does Accounting and Finance, lived in my house last year, and their course wasn't particularly any harder than A level accounting, and that is a subject where you turn up, sleep for the whole lesson, walk out and pass the exams anyway.
Original post by uxa595
Which Uni doe?
Warwick/LSE are meant to have a hard course (according to some lol).

York. And just because most courses are hard doesn't mean all are. Difficulty is also relative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The people who say a levels are harder than unis are the people who either do easy courses or go to bad unis.
Out of all the medics and dentists I've spoken to (all got AT LEAST AAA) they said a levels aren't even comparable to their degrees academically never mind the level of responsibility that also comes with clinical training.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smack
Do you genuinely think that lawyers are only hired from 6 universities?

Depends on the type of consultancy, although I've heard that the management ones generally only hire from two: Oxford and Cambridge.

Only the top 3: McKinsey, Bain and BCG are known for their emphasis on Oxbridge. Other management consultancies spread their net wider
Original post by alevelzzz
The people who say a levels are easier than unis are the people who either do easy courses or go to bad unis.
Out of all the medics and dentists I've spoken to (all got AT LEAST AAA) they said a levels aren't even comparable to their degrees academically never mind the level of responsibility that also comes with clinical training.

Are you suggesting that medics and dentists have pushover degrees, or did you mean to say harder rather than easier in the first line?
Original post by uxa595

Accounting and finance does explain your reasoning quite a bit. Anything related to business is in that grey area that doesn't primarily require the mathematical/technical reasoning of the sciences/engineering/mathematical economics or the similarly abstract but drastically more imprecise and ethereal logic of the humanities.

I wouldn't knock the humanities. Though their "barriers to entry" are lower than the sciences, the toughness comes in the form of a) the sheer volume of independent work required b) the nature of extended essay writing which is a very hard art-form to master and stand out (as opposed to science subjects, where scoring highly is very easy if you're capable) c) The inherent subjectivity and impreciseness of the arts (which I mentioned above).

A&F/business on the other hand... well that's just a standard extension of GCSE and A-level business studies, as my close friend at Warwick tells me (he does Law and Business). And the barriers to entry are quite low as well.

For the record, I did a multidisciplinary course that involved maths and the social sciences, at a university always ranked above yours. I scored higher than you at A-level. I graduated with 1st class honours.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Are you suggesting that medics and dentists have pushover degrees, or did you mean to say harder rather than easier in the first line?

No I mean their degrees are MUCH more difficult than a levels. You'd bloody hope so lol
They did say that the degrees aren't 'conceptually' difficult but theres a hugeeee workload and stress is really high because of how rigorous clinic is.
e.g Now you can't retake a year for medicine or dentistry because it costs too much for the taxpayer, the GMC and GDC have added a new law that means that students whos behavior is inappropriate whilst in university can be rejected entry into the GDC or GMC.
I think medicine/dentistry/vetmed are the most stressful degrees, not academically, but because of all the other things that come along with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending