Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't eat treats at work, so why should I bring it in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    People are ****ty. Equally lucky I don't pander to those type of people.

That says more about them than me (hypothetically). If people are going to get arsey about not getting free cake then let them be but I don't want involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if you don't pander to them they often then isolate or bully you, although I'm pretty sure that's more of a woman thing.

ReputationRep:
    If it really bothers you that much then just don't do it. There's nothing forcing you and I completely understand why you wouldn't want to spend a fortune. It does sound like a lot of people in your office go OTT. The suggestion about things you could have was just so that you haven't totally wasted your cash - you'd at least get to enjoy some of what you paid out for even if you don't join in with the other people. Who knows, maybe you'd even inspire a new trend where people bring a healthier spread?!
    The bottom line though is still that people do this to foster a nice atmosphere and relationships and it's totally up to you whether you join in.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I care a lot about my relations here, I fill in for jobs when people are not here, I don't mind sitting in during meetings to help take notes, I do a lot of things way above my job description and I am recognized for my efforts. This however, is beyond me to comprehend why I need to do something which I don't accept back.
    If you are willing to put in all this extra work to keep good relations, why not do something as simple as buying some chocolate to avoid ruining all that goodwill? You don't have to spend £40 - that's excessive. Get some of those tubs of mini brownies / flapjacks or something, and spend £10.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have this, I was the resident "poor person" so could only take in cheap stuff when it was my birthday. I remember one year getting a comment from a boss that my biscuits were crap , I explained I was on a budget, and she suggested that "perhaps your husband should get a job then!" (he was at home looking after our 4 kids, but that's a rant for another day!)

It's your birthday, so you need to weigh up the hassle v cost ratio, will anyone say anthing to you if you don't do cake/chocs? Can't you just explain that you don't celebrate your birthday that way? They may be on the look out at the next birthday to see if you eat anyone else cakes/chocs, ready to make a comment, but as you said, you don't eat them anyway so it won't be a problem.

I really don't miss working in an office...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    But if you don't pander to them they often then isolate or bully you, although I'm pretty sure that's more of a woman thing.
    So? Grow a spine. Who taught you to let people like that run the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by jenhasdreams)
    If you are willing to put in all this extra work to keep good relations, why not do something as simple as buying some chocolate to avoid ruining all that goodwill? You don't have to spend £40 - that's excessive. Get some of those tubs of mini brownies / flapjacks or something, and spend £10.
    It's the money I will be spending which is annoying, I wouldn't mind so much, if it was a give-take situation, but it's not.

There's 50 other people in the office. Unfortunately £10 worth of this stuff isn't going to cut it, otherwise it looks pathetic (especially in the big kitchen where it looks bad if all the space isn't filled). I think maybe get a big M&S cake for £15 and then a load of crap along with it and spread it out on the table a lot....make it £20.

I fail to see where this is "optional" and where all this resentment comes from if you don't act like part of the crowd. I would rather no one bring in anything for their birthday, if anyone wanted a bit of chocolate so badly, there's a shop down the road.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I fail to see where this is "optional" and where all this resentment comes from if you don't act like part of the crowd. I would rather no one bring in anything for their birthday, if anyone wanted a bit of chocolate so badly, there's a shop down the road.
    It's social convention and office politics and it's often just easier to go along with it than be seen as a difficult person.

Can you not see how (applying this to another office situation) saying "I would rather not make a cup of tea for my team, it's ridiculous I feel obliged to do so, they can make their own if they want one" would cause resentment and for you to not fit in, when the norm is for people to do tea rounds? Afraid that's just how it's done.

ReputationRep:
    Give them these:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...en-out-3495850

ReputationRep:
    It's a social convention. You don't have to do it but people with think that you're a party pooper if you don't.

I bring in a tin of biscuits to the office at the start of every week (during my summer job). It costs just over a fiver but I'm adored. I do it because it's nice and it brings everyone up on a Monday morning. In return they think highly of me, let me go early if I want, give me a longer lunch break, help me out and cover for me if I need it etc.

If you're a tight arse then they won't do you any favours and make things difficult for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    So? Grow a spine. Who taught you to let people like that run the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its not worth risking bullying over something like that for me.

ReputationRep:
    Bake a couple of cakes and drop a few laxatives in them. Enjoy the sweet revenge.

ReputationRep:
    bring some stuff in just dont spend so much money on it..

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste your money on them. Save it. Nothing more to say.

ReputationRep:
    Bring something in anyway. You don't need to spend £40 (half should be enough if you buy Thorntons or whatever else on offer anyway).
    If you bring nothing people will make be colder towards you and think you're cheap. Bear in mind that not everyone knows you're on a diet and besides, it's not about that anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.