Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I hereby express my gratitude to all women and men, past, present and future who have contributed or will ever contribute to my excellent quality of life, on this here day of Emmeline Pankurst's birthday.
    Well, that's put me in my place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Well, that's put me in my place.
    What? My two posts were supporting you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    So because I support votes for women I suddenly support WW1?

I care about equal rights for EVERYONE.
    I've just repped STG!

ReputationRep:
    I've just repped STG!
    That's because I'm awesome.

ReputationRep:
    What? My two posts were supporting you!
    Ah, embarrassing, I thought you were taking the piss! Bother.

ReputationRep:
    That's because I'm awesome.
    Well, steady on, but on this we are on the same side.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, embarrassing, I thought you were taking the piss! Bother.
    When have I ever taken the piss?

ReputationRep:
    Well, steady on, but on this we are on the same side.
    Just because I don't want my parents interfering in my life doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

ReputationRep:
    When have I ever taken the piss?
    Hmm ... I will plead the fifth on that one.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I don't want my parents interfering in my life doesn't mean I'm a bad person.
    Not bad ... just mistaken!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    joke

ReputationRep:
    Might have to name my next bow after her. I was thinking Amy (after Amy Johnson) but Millicent is an appropriate tribute.

Celebrating Emmeline Pankhurt's birthday isn't just about her but about thanking all those that fought to get us where we are today and promising that we won't give up the fight here or elsewhere.

As an aside my mother had a bike named Emmeline because she used to tie her to railings.
    Indeed, I've studied both sides and I've got to respect Millicent more than Pankhurst, but I agree with you on the celebration part.

Haha :lol:

ReputationRep:
    There is a massive difference between the suffragists and the suffragettes - and I can't remember which was which, unfortunately. However, give me Emily Davison and Ada Lovelace any day.

ReputationRep:
    Ermm... Happy birthday... I guess xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cah846)
    There is a massive difference between the suffragists and the suffragettes - and I can't remember which was which, unfortunately. However, give me Emily Davison and Ada Lovelace any day.
    ****ing love Ada Lovelace. Also love that her mother got her into maths so she didn't write poetry like her father.

ReputationRep:
    No, not one of you!

Emmeline Pankhurst. 156 today.
    "Great woman"

Yeah she fought for woman's rights but she didn't do it in the... Kindest manner. Wouldn't consider her a great woman myself - personally I think she hindered the vote as many men back then thought that because of the suffragettes actions they couldn't be trusted with the vote

Millicent Fawcett was a much greater woman imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cah846)
    Suffragettes - Emiline Pankhurst and daughters- used terrorist methods including bombing churches and attacking politicians to basically scare people into getting the vote

Suffragists - Millicent Fawcett - used peaceful methods including flyers and public speaking to try and convince men that the best thing was for woman to get the vote

Or perhaps the other way round, but I'm 80% sure it's that way xD

ReputationRep:
    40 views and over four hours later not one person thinks the anniversary of Pankhurst's birth is worth noting?

Disappointing.
    In my experience, people tend not to care much about historical figures' birthdays in general if they died a while ago. I expect you'd have got the same tepid response of 'oh is it? Well done that man/woman, now back to my life' if you'd tried it on with Churchill or Gandhi etc.

Let's face it, if we sat around reflecting on and remembering individuals who contributed positively to society every day, nobody would get anything done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    "Great woman"

Yeah she fought for woman's rights but she didn't do it in the... Kindest manner. Wouldn't consider her a great woman myself - personally I think she hindered the vote as many men back then thought that because of the suffragettes actions they couldn't be trusted with the vote

Millicent Fawcett was a much greater woman imo
    Fawcett was also a great woman, however the initial prompt for the OP was it being Pankhurst's birthday.
    Acknowledging EP's work in no way detracts from that of MF.

ReputationRep:
    Fawcett was also a great woman, however the initial prompt for the OP was it being Pankhurst's birthday.
    Acknowledging EP's work in no way detracts from that of MF.
    Hm, fair enough I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Suffragettes - Emiline Pankhurst and daughters- used terrorist methods including bombing churches and attacking politicians to basically scare people into getting the vote

Suffragists - Millicent Fawcett - used peaceful methods including flyers and public speaking to try and convince men that the best thing was for woman to get the vote

Or perhaps the other way round, but I'm 80% sure it's that way xD
    Hardly the most balanced and even handed summary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.