Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The 'sick of living with my parents' thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents will charge me rent when I finish my A Levels, as well as making me continue to do jobs round the house.
    If I go to the same uni as my sister, I'll move in with her.

ReputationRep:
    I feel bad for everyone in this thread. Living with my parents for 3 months over the uni holidays is bad enough

ReputationRep:
    is there an alternative rather than a job
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    Yeah the economy sucks for young people, the housing market sucks for young people, etc. One of the main things that depresses me is having to live with my mum because of the jobs situation here. There is absolutely nothing in my crappy town at the moment, but I'm here to ask about people's experiences of having to live with their mum in their twenties.

Sick of having to hide my condoms, my mum reorganising my room, cleaning my room, moaning about how I'm in my room all the time, the lack of privacy... sick of it. There's also no way of inviting friends over for a drink and smoke and good times. I tell her not to go in my room while I'm gone and that I'll clean my room and she goes in anyway and roots through my stuff. I feel 15 and I'm 26!

I really have been neglecting my studies lately that I've just started a few months ago because I've been so desperate to find a job and finally move out!! Hopefully it will be soon!

The people who say 'why don't you just move out?' I can't go anywhere until I can get another job Without one there's no way I can go anywhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm 16 but I know the feels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    You seem to think the options are run down apartment with student/council house/living with parents. What about your own flat?
    Because I would rather live at home during university without having to worry about money or living conditions. Also, fully furnished flats tend to be outdated as well as requiring extensive work inside. Land lords aren't exactly gonna rush out within 24 hour to fix a water/gas problem either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    Because I would rather live at home during university without having to worry about money or living conditions. Also, fully furnished flats tend to be outdated as well as requiring extensive work inside. Land lords aren't exactly gonna rush out within 24 hour to fix a water/gas problem either.
    Each to their own I guess. I personally think living alone, allows you to mature as a person and grow into a responsible adult as you are managing your own money, cooking yourself and managing your studies and social life.

I've got a very nice looking furnished studio flat, up to date and modern, yes slightly on the expensive side but meh, I have a job and organise my time efficiently so I can cope. It's all a part of growing up and learning to live like an adult instead of being dependent on others.

Just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend installing locks on your doors

ReputationRep:
    I live at home during uni (variety of reasons but basically I have a car and uni isn't far away, and my brother has severe autism so I help my mum out with caring for him), and it's been fine. I had an awesome year this year and I haven't missed out on much at all. Maybe it's because my parents are very laid back and let me get on with my own thing, it's almost as if I live in a student house anyway?

It's meant that I've been able to save up so I can now fund my MA entirely on my own .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    That's an exceptionally nice and clean room you have there. I'm not very materialistic when it comes to living conditions however, as long as I have the necessities I'm not too bothered, that said I wouldn't want to live on benefits and such like. Anything that will get me out living with parents.
    Thanks! Yeah there are loads of people who aren't overly concerned with living conditions and such and me being pretty materialistic, I know that it will cause me problems when I do move out, but I will worry about that when the day comes. :mmm: my mum and dad both infuriate me equally but I tolerate them. Have you ever seen benefits Britain? Now that is why I'll never consider the possibility of failure. I do acknowledge that there are a lot of students who are bright and can't help how their financial situation at home is and I would never hold it against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Each to their own I guess. I personally think living alone, allows you to mature as a person and grow into a responsible adult as you are managing your own money, cooking yourself and managing your studies and social life.

I've got a very nice looking furnished studio flat, up to date and modern, yes slightly on the expensive side but meh, I have a job and organise my time efficiently so I can cope. It's all a part of growing up and learning to live like an adult instead of being dependent on others.

Just my opinion though.
    I totally agree with your opinion, and like you said, each to their own. I prefer the easy life while at university. I'm definitely not looking forward to becoming independent but I suppose that's life.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with your opinion, and like you said, each to their own. I prefer the easy life while at university. I'm definitely not looking forward to becoming independent but I suppose that's life.
    Fair enough. I have friends who've chosen to live at home, when I talk to them it sounds incredibly easy living, and financially pretty nice. Not going to lie it is something that I considered but decided to bite the bullet and live on my own (Like completely not even flat mates).

I'm glad I did, you should try living on your own for a bit see how it is, who knows you might like it.

I guess it also depends on the atmosphere in your house. Like what your parents, siblings are like etc. I can't stand mine, then again I can't stand most people hence living on my own is such a good move for me.

ReputationRep:
    I just came home after a 10 hour shift to someones trainers on my towel and a loud party so yeah, I'm sick of living at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Fair enough. I have friends who've chosen to live at home, when I talk to them it sounds incredibly easy living, and financially pretty nice. Not going to lie it is something that I considered but decided to bite the bullet and live on my own (Like completely not even flat mates).

I'm glad I did, you should try living on your own for a bit see how it is, who knows you might like it.

I guess it also depends on the atmosphere in your house. Like what your parents, siblings are like etc. I can't stand mine, then again I can't stand most people hence living on my own is such a good move for me.
    Yeah life is pretty easy at home which is why I decided to stay, but life would be equally as good if I were to stay somewhere like, student halls? Although I know that I would get carried away and end up hungover a lot lol. Parents do become very annoying, but I'm glad my two oldest brothers live elsewhere and it's only my younger sister left so arguments are minimal. I would maybe try it once I'm financially able to support myself because right now I'm definitely not in that position. If I won the lottery this Friday then I would roll right out the door for sure! I'm not sure if I could live on my own either, I like to annoy people and have some form of human interaction lol.

ReputationRep:
    I save a lot of money moving out too, I saved over £3000 worth of student loans in first year and by the end of second year I'll have saved up over £5000 of my student loans because I've worked all the costs out, that's WITHOUT a job.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah life is pretty easy at home which is why I decided to stay, but life would be equally as good if I were to stay somewhere like, student halls? Although I know that I would get carried away and end up hungover a lot lol. Parents do become very annoying, but I'm glad my two oldest brothers live elsewhere and it's only my younger sister left so arguments are minimal. I would maybe try it once I'm financially able to support myself because right now I'm definitely not in that position. If I won the lottery this Friday then I would roll right out the door for sure! I'm not sure if I could live on my own either, I like to annoy people and have some form of human interaction lol.
    Depends some student halls have cleaners that take out the bin and clean the kitchen and your ensuite so it's not too bad. Others leave it for you to do, and when living with other students it generally means nobody does it.

You get use to it, it's not like you have no human interaction, I mean monday to friday I'll be at uni most of the day, weekends I will either be working or at the girlfriends house so I'm not completely alone all the time, but I do enjoy some peace and quiet and the ability to just kick back watch some footy or play some video games without people shouting, screaming and arguing, which I found tends to happen at home and student halls.

ReputationRep:
    I love my parents and I feel guilty that I feel the way I do, but I just need to escape and live independently. It's stressful and boring due to where I live, but thankfully I start uni in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Depends some student halls have cleaners that take out the bin and clean the kitchen and your ensuite so it's not too bad. Others leave it for you to do, and when living with other students it generally means nobody does it.

You get use to it, it's not like you have no human interaction, I mean monday to friday I'll be at uni most of the day, weekends I will either be working or at the girlfriends house so I'm not completely alone all the time, but I do enjoy some peace and quiet and the ability to just kick back watch some footy or play some video games without people shouting, screaming and arguing, which I found tends to happen at home and student halls.
    World Cup being the perfect example! My mum wouldn't get off my back until I hoovered my room despite me telling her that I would straight after the game lol. Yeah the whole living with students sort of put me off as well as I've heard loads of stories about students who steal food, belongings and cause havoc with no regard for others lol.

ReputationRep:
    World Cup being the perfect example! My mum wouldn't get off my back until I hoovered my room despite me telling her that I would straight after the game lol. Yeah the whole living with students sort of put me off as well as I've heard loads of stories about students who steal food, belongings and cause havoc with no regard for others lol.
    that's what my mum is like . Getting on my ass always nagging me to wash up STRAIGHT after I eat. "Can't I have at least 15 mins before I wash up?"
    Also my mum is like an annoying landlord. Always telling me that I need to start paying my way when she knows I'm hardcore struggling at the moment and looking for more work (I'm only on a 6-hour contract at the moment)

Living with students can suck. Nobody wants to clean up and you end up doing it all. Students just enjoy living in filth and doing sweet FA all day. I'm 26 and I don't want yo live with a load of kids anymore.

*sorry for resurrecting this from the dead

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    that's what my mum is like . Getting on my ass always nagging me to wash up STRAIGHT after I eat. "Can't I have at least 15 mins before I wash up?"
    Also my mum is like an annoying landlord. Always telling me that I need to start paying my way when she knows I'm hardcore struggling at the moment and looking for more work (I'm only on a 6-hour contract at the moment)

Living with students can suck. Nobody wants to clean up and you end up doing it all. Students just enjoy living in filth and doing sweet FA all day. I'm 26 and I don't want yo live with a load of kids anymore.

*sorry for resurrecting this from the dead

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I feel you man, parents can be very, very annoying haha.

ReputationRep:
    Having just graduated for the 2nd time I'm back at home while I look for jobs. I'm gonna give it till October, then I'm going to start applying for EVERYTHING just so I can finally move out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.