Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys, would you marry a single mother or accept her as a long term partner? Watch

• View Poll Results: ?
    yes
    41.30%
    no
    58.70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slip)
    The woman is solely responsible if her marriage ends in divorce? :lolwut:
    check my quote below

(Original post by Shaolin Punk)
    she always is. a relationship is a 50/50 thing. shes always at least 50% at fault.
    dunno where u got solely responsible from.

My previous relationship lasted for five years. I think I had a pretty good measure of the man, yet it was only after we parted ways he proved what an ******* he was. Like I said, no-one's psychic. You simply can't predict these things.
    did you have a kid with him?

Also, I don't see what relevance this bears to dropping out of university(?)
    the uni reference was to illustrate how time spent with someone isnt always a reliable indicator of commitment.

ReputationRep:
    yea they all suck at being able to spot bad partners. especially the one that keeps choosing violent abusive men.
    She's mentally I'll so I feel we can let her off on that one, as for the others not really. People change, in the case of the one that adopted clearly the whole of social services suck at spotting bad partners, in the case of the Muslim lady so do her parents.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you know by now, redferry, that women are always at fault in these sorts of situations? :erm:
    Well you know all men clearly just can't help it, the only way a woman can not bring this behaviour on themselves is to stay celibate!

ReputationRep:
    check my quote below

dunno where u got solely responsible from.

did you have a kid with him?

the uni reference was to illustrate how time spent with someone isnt always a reliable indicator of commitment.
    I probably got it from the fact you're having several separate arguments and can't seem to string a coherent one together, given you said: 'divorce, no, she's still responsible', which is what I was responding to.

No, we didn't have a child - but probably would've done if the relationship had not broken down for other reasons, unrelated to any obvious personality defects or psychic predictions about his future behaviour on my behalf. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Well you know all men clearly just can't help it, the only way a woman can not bring this behaviour on themselves is to stay celibate!
    both sexes cheat a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you know by now, redferry, that women are always at fault in these sorts of situations? :erm:
    to a 50% degree of not being able to tell what kinda guy he was yea.

ReputationRep:
    to a 50% degree of not being able to tell what kinda guy he was yea.
    So, women are now supposed to be able to identify an abusive person at fifty paces?

ReputationRep:
    I probably got it from the fact you're having several separate arguments and can't seem to string a coherent one together, given you said: 'divorce, no, she's still responsible', which is what I was responding to.

No, we didn't have a child - but probably would've done if the relationship had not broken down for other reasons, unrelated to any obvious personality defects or psychic predictions about his future behaviour on my behalf. :rolleyes:
    no you just made a good decision to not have a child with a guy that you probably consciously or unconsciously new had something there that wasnt quite right.

my arguments are fine. your just putting spin on what i say.

for example me saying a women who has a divorce is still responsible for the divorce.

yet you seem to be imagining words that dont exist in that sentence as you seemed to think i said she was "solely" responsible.

as i said its 50/50. its not all her fault. but shes not void of responsibility either.

ReputationRep:
    So, women are now supposed to be able to identify an abusive person at fifty paces?
    people are quite sophisticated. i credit them with that.

some people are just bad at reading people.

ReputationRep:
    no you just made a good decision to not have a child with a guy that you probably consciously or unconsciously new had something there that wasnt quite right.

my arguments are fine. your just putting spin on what i say.

for example me saying a women who has a divorce is still responsible for the divorce.

yet you seem to be imagining words that dont exist in that sentence as you seemed to think i said she was "solely" responsible.

as i said its 50/50. its not all her fault. but shes not void of responsibility either.
    As you just said yourself, women are 50% at fault if they 'choose' an abusive partner, so forgive me for being just the slightest bit sceptical about your ability to be mature about how relationships actually work in adult life. If your argument is that women are at fault, for being treated in the way redferry outlined, there's a world of things wrong with it.

I'm not imagining anything, that's the implicature of 'she's at fault'.

ReputationRep:
    both sexes cheat a lot.
    What's that got to do with men walking out on their kids?

ReputationRep:
    As you just said yourself, women are 50% at fault if they 'choose' an abusive partner, so forgive me for being just the slightest bit sceptical about your ability to be mature about how relationships actually work in adult life. If your argument is that women are at fault, for being treated in the way redferry outlined, there's a world of things wrong with it.

I'm not imagining anything, that's the implicature of 'she's at fault'.
    so if a guy gets with a crazy women. who keeps showing signs of being crazy. but he's too slow to pick up on them. the girls 100% to blame? thats just poor fate? nothing he could do? out of his control like the weather? he made no decisions along the way?

ReputationRep:
    so if a guy gets with a crazy women. who keeps showing signs of being crazy. but he's too slow to pick up on them. the girls 100% to blame?
    Erm, wat? :wtf:

I'm done arguing having this completely illogical, tedious argument with you. You're either a troll or too young to understand anything about the way the real world works and, having seen some of your posts on other threads, I'ma go with the former.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, wat? :wtf:

I'm done arguing having this completely illogical, tedious argument with you. You're either a troll or too young to understand anything about the way the real world works and, having seen some of your posts on other threads, I'ma go with the former.
    no your just dismissing an argument that your losing.

at the end of the day. i've made bad choices with women.
    but i'm a man about it. i'm responsible for choosing them. and when i look back on the relationship i can see mistakes i made. things that could have been avoided. or signs that were right in my face but was too stupid to see.

you heard a single mother talk like the above?

ReputationRep:

but i'm a man about it. i'm responsible for choosing them. and when i look back on the relationship i can see mistakes i made. things that could have been avoided. or signs that were right in my face but was too stupid to see.

Yup, my mother was a single mother when she met my dad and so was my sister before she met her current husband. Both women were married, both cheated on and both abandoned when their children were born, but that's their fault... damn my mom, she should've predicted the end of that fifteen year marriage, the silly woman. :rolleyes:

I'm dismissing this argument because you have decided that you're right, you don't or won't respond to any of the points I make that directly confront your beliefs and because you clearly have no experience of the situations people are in which you so freely ridicule.

ReputationRep:
    yea they all suck at being able to spot bad partners. especially the one that keeps choosing violent abusive men.

Well I've spotted you from a mile off. So I think I'm doing pretty alright to not look for ****ty men.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, my mother was a single mother when she met my dad and so was my sister before she met her current husband. Both women were married, both cheated on and both abandoned when their children were born, but that's their fault... damn my mom, she should've predicted the end of that fifteen year marriage, the silly woman. :rolleyes:

I'm dismissing this argument because you have decided that you're right, you don't or won't respond to any of the points I make that directly confront your beliefs and because you clearly have no experience of the situations people are in which you so freely ridicule.

my mom was a single mother when she met my father too.
    she made bad decisions with the first guy. and she drove my dad insane and my dad rather than just ending it bad the bad decision of cheating.

they both made stupid decisions. and i feel no way to tell them that.
    as much as i love them. i am the age now that they were. and i know i would have not made those same decisions. im not going to gild all their actions in a gilded decoration of unquestionable loyalty. they're people too.

im not ridiculing people by saying they should be responsible for their actions and decisions.

and yes i do have experiences. you're just being arrogant in thinking that because my view is different from yours its somehow less legitimate. I've dated 2 girls with children.

in fact im dating one with children now. which i know is a bad decision. but im smitten by her. but i am aware of and take responsibility for my own poor decisions. because im choosing romantic sentimentality over logical pragmatism.

i also have numerous friends with kids.

so yea i do no quite a bit about this.

please quote(s) to me the point(s) you made that directly challenged mine and I will respond to them.

ReputationRep:

My mother was with my father happily for 6 years, then out of the blue when she was pregnant with me he started to develop a drinking problem and quickly became a raging and abusive alcoholic. My mum was clearly an idiot woman who makes bad decisions because she couldn't predict the mental decline of my father whilst heavily pregnant with me 6 years down the line :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

a lot of single moms are also bad parents and can be more obsessed with finding a new man than looking after their kids. many never wanted their kids. but them due to stupid puppy love or by being sexually negligent.
    That is a very dangerous (and offensive) generalisation.

Other than that I agree with your justification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Well I've spotted you from a mile off. So I think I'm doing pretty alright to not look for ****ty men.
    ah yea... a man that encourages responsibility from both sexes.
    stay away.

good choice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.