Squats			5x5	35kg	Ok
    Bench press		7x5	25kg	No problem
    Bent over row		5x5	25kg	No problem
    Barbell shrugs		3x8	25kg	Ok
    Tricep extensions	3x8	22.5kg	Ok
    Straight bar		3x8	20kg	Did it!
    Cable crunches		3x10	20kg	No problem
    Good mornings		2x10	20kg	No problem
    Squats I could have done more of but got a good workout from them - I will up to 40kg next week. Bench press I upped to 25kg and still had no problems - because I could do more I decided to do a 6th set, then a 7th which I extended to 7 reps. I'll up to 30kg next week. Bent over row was again no problem - on my last set I did 12 reps. Barbell shrugs at 25kg made me really feel it, but likewise extended the last set to 12 reps. Tricep extensions I upped to 22.5kg and managed ok.

Hyperextensions I had a problem with because they have no hyperextension bench and last time I did them at that gym I used some ad hoc equipment placed next to each other, but one of the items had moved and I couldn't see it. I decided to look up alternative back exercises and decided to give a go to good mornings with an empty barbell. I think I did them okay but can't be sure. Might need to replace hyperextensions or else do them only once a week when I'm at the gym with a hyperextension bench.

My real success today though was the straight bar. I managed all 3x8 where I had previously failed on the 4th and 5th reps of the final set! It's my first taste of definitive progress so I'm happy about that.

Right, time to fill my belly.

ReputationRep:
    great work so far mate, keep it up.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Soon, your entire workout day will centre around how you're going to do at the gym, and your entire rest day will be centred around recovering from your workout.

Lift is love. Lift is life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    great work so far mate, keep it up.
    Thanks buddy.

(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Soon, your entire workout day will centre around how you're going to do at the gym, and your entire rest day will be centred around recovering from your workout.

Lift is love. Lift is life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm looking forward to it. Are there specific things people do to better recover from their workout?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Thanks buddy.

I'm looking forward to it. Are there specific things people do to better recover from their workout?
    Self-myofascial release (foam roll, lacrosse ball, PVC pipe, whatever you wanna use) + massage. Very useful for treating muscle tightness that builds up post-workout, which can be a cause of joint pain (esp. knee). Other than that, I wouldn't worry. Anything more serious won't be of use until well into your lifting career.

Everybody should stretch and do mobility work as well, as much as we all hate it.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Self-myofascial release (foam roll, lacrosse ball, PVC pipe, whatever you wanna use) + massage. Very useful for treating muscle tightness that builds up post-workout, which can be a cause of joint pain (esp. knee). Other than that, I wouldn't worry. Anything more serious won't be of use until well into your lifting career.

Everybody should stretch and do mobility work as well, as much as we all hate it.
    Thanks for your reply. I'll look into self-myofascial release (never heard of it before). As for stretching I stretch 6 times a week, but maybe not as thoroughly as would be most useful.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Thanks for your reply. I'll look into self-myofascial release (never heard of it before). As for stretching I stretch 6 times a week, but maybe not as thoroughly as would be most useful.
    Miles ahead of most of us already if you're doing it 6x/wk!

Just a form of self-massage.

ReputationRep:
    Foam rolled once in my life crew checking in. Stretches only when in great pain and think it will help.

My rest days involve me doing as much of nothing as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Great title bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Go for a walk, light cardio to get rid of that also natural Greek yogurt helps
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    Go for a walk, light cardio to get rid of that also natural Greek yogurt helps
    Thanks for the tip. I currently walk to/from work and the gym which clocks up to about 30 miles/week.

Is your name taken from the Japanese word?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Foam rolled once in my life crew checking in. Stretches only when in great pain and think it will help.

My rest days involve me doing as much of nothing as possible.
    ^is missing out crew

can't lift pain free without foam rolling crew

ReputationRep:
    ^is missing out crew

can't lift pain free without foam rolling crew
    Can walk into gym and squat three plates atg beltless first rep with no pain or tightness crew checking in.

Yeh, you jelly.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Can walk into gym and squat three plates atg beltless first rep with no pain or tightness crew checking in.

Yeh, you jelly.
    Can walk into gym and squat being 6'5 master race with pain and tightness crew

yeh, you not jelly at all

tfw cri self to sleep

ReputationRep:
    Can walk into gym and squat being 6'5 master race with pain and tightness crew

yeh, you not jelly at all

tfw cri self to sleep
    5"8 master race here. None of that lanky business.

In all seriousness since the misc language is annoying me, would be cool if I foam rolled more but I'm way too lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Thanks for the tip. I currently walk to/from work and the gym which clocks up to about 30 miles/week.

Is your name taken from the Japanese word?
    Btw don't lift heavy "stop lifting heavy weights" on youtube is pretty famous, basically do lower weights and more reps and build core strength from push ups and pull ups then you will automatically be able to lift more to get that pumped look
    And you stretch 6 times a week that's good, how old were you when you started stretching? I do it as well so i'm curious?
    Indeed it is!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    Btw don't lift heavy "stop lifting heavy weights" on youtube is pretty famous, basically do lower weights and more reps and build core strength from push ups and pull ups then you will automatically be able to lift more to get that pumped look
    And you stretch 6 times a week that's good, how old were you when you started stretching? I do it as well so i'm curious?
    Indeed it is!
    Well I'm on the ICF 5x5 programme for now so I'll see where that takes me. I stretch 3 times a week due to the martial arts I do - but they're a part of warm-up rather than to actively increase flexibility. I also stretch after my workouts at the gym 3 times a week (this time to improve flexibility). I would have been 16 when I started stretching, but having said that I'm not a particularly flexible person.

Cool. I wasn't sure of the meaning of it but it's the title of a music piece I like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    Do not follow this advice. It's terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Do not follow this advice. It's terrible.
    I applogise if it is, but it's from StrengthCamp a very well respected strong bodybuilder on youtube and it has over 1 million views, can you tell me why that advice is wrong? If it is I will correct my ways as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Well I'm on the ICF 5x5 programme for now so I'll see where that takes me. I stretch 3 times a week due to the martial arts I do - but they're a part of warm-up rather than to actively increase flexibility. I also stretch after my workouts at the gym 3 times a week (this time to improve flexibility). I would have been 16 when I started stretching, but having said that I'm not a particularly flexible person.

Cool. I wasn't sure of the meaning of it but it's the title of a music piece I like.
    Yeah stick to that as well, I just read 35kg and was rather impressed for a beginner haha

On this stretching point that's when I started and grew like 2 inches so I was wondering if it was for height or what? And do you remember how tall you were when you were 18?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.