Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KindofGood)
    I know why you would be concerned, because their culture is so different and they lack social integration. Could be a lot worse flat mates though.
    I don't think you should generalise, I'm a muslim and my close friends are all non-muslim or even asian. My few Muslim friends are the same, they too are closest to their non-musim friends.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims, just don't shove your religious beliefs down others' throats and you'll be fine.
    Let's direct this to all people of all beliefs rather than just scrutinise Muslims in this way shall we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesscann1)
    How would you feel if you moved into halls and one of your flatmates ended up being a Muslim? I'm probably being paranoid but I can't help but think they'd be disappointed for whatever reason, e.g I don't drink.

I'm not overly religious and still go to clubs and such but order a soft drink, it's just that there isn't many or I didn't see many other Muslims during applicant days, (university of Leeds), and I guess I'm used to their company.

I didn't opt for the halal dietary requirement as it means I'll be placed in a single gender flat and I really don't want that, I don't mind the fridge sharing and all that jazz as long as the foods are not touching.

Edit: this is my friends account, I'm a guy.
    I think you should be fine, you seem like a perfectly normal dude I have a friend similar to you (but female) in that she doesn't drink or eat non halal meat but comes out with us and she had a great time at Uni
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

I think you misunderstood, I'm the Muslim
    That makes sense now, your post was a little confusing. So, you think that the Muslim you're living with is religious and will judge you because you're not as religious..?

ReputationRep:
    I know why you would be concerned, because their culture is so different and they lack social integration. Could be a lot worse flat mates though.
    Islam is a religion not a culture, and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Islam clearly encourages discrimination against non-believers
    Much like Christianity, Islam also promotes racial equality.

You're talking about cultural beliefs (e.g. South Asian cultures) not religious ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    I wouldn't wanna be flatmates with you either. I would only prefer to live with Muslims.
    Read the OP, he's a Muslim too.

I guess the thread title has confused a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    How would you feel if you moved into halls and one of your flatmates ended up being a Muslim? I'm probably being paranoid but I can't help but think they'd be disappointed for whatever reason, e.g I don't drink.

I'm not overly religious and still go to clubs and such but order a soft drink, it's just that there isn't many or I didn't see many other Muslims during applicant days, (university of Leeds), and I guess I'm used to their company.

I didn't opt for the halal dietary requirement as it means I'll be placed in a single gender flat and I really don't want that, I don't mind the fridge sharing and all that jazz as long as the foods are not touching.

Edit: this is my friends account, I'm a guy.

I was in a hall with an African muslim girl last year. She was very friendly to me, and did not seem to mind me drinking (although out of politeness I tended to avoid it in front of her)

ReputationRep:
    oh the pain the agony.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOONA.)

Oops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    I was in a hall with an African muslim girl last year. She was very friendly to me, and did not seem to mind me drinking (although out of politeness I tended to avoid it in front of her)
    That's nice of you I wouldn't mind if someone drank in front of me

ReputationRep:
    That's nice of you I wouldn't mind if someone drank in front of me
    Most people will try to get along so long as you do too, and this girl was genuinely friendly so it was fine the things you will argue about is who takes the bin out, who washes the sink etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Most people will try to get along so long as you do too, and this girl was genuinely friendly so it was fine the things you will argue about is who takes the bin out, who washes the sink etc etc
    aha sounds fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOONA.)

my bad

ReputationRep:
    You sound very much like a friend of mine. He doesn't drink and only eats halal meat but he still went on nights out with everyone else, but he just drinks coke. Being Muslim hasn't affected his social life at all - he made loads of friends in halls and elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Op is a weirdo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    You sound very much like a friend of mine. He doesn't drink and only eats halal meat but he still went on nights out with everyone else, but he just drinks coke. Being Muslim hasn't affected his social life at all - he made loads of friends in halls and elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    reassuring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    I wouldn't wanna be flatmates with you either. I would only prefer to live with Muslims.
    Can you explain why? I'm really interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity_4652)
    Can you explain why? I'm really interested
    It was a response to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PC2852)
    You're a known homophobe so I wouldn't call yourself nice or friendly tbh.
    A homophobe can be nice tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.