Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is making sure a girl gets home safe after a date sexist? watch

• View Poll Results: Is making sure a girl gets home safe after a date sexist?
    Yes, sexist
    14.85%
    No, he's a proper gentleman
    85.15%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    You seem like a girl who knows a supreme gentleman when she sees one
    Hah I wouldn't say that but it's always a good quality for a guy to have

ReputationRep:
    It may not be sexist, but it does reinforce gender roles.

Evolution is irrelevant, our consciousness has allowed us to develop beyond the idea that physical strength denotes importance.

ReputationRep:
    It's not sexist, it's because women are more likely to be raped and attacked than men when walking alone at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is actually quite sexist but I doubt it's never happened the other way round either so I guess there's another dimension to it

ReputationRep:
    I understand why it might be seen as "sexist", but it's not something that bothers me. If a guy offers to walk me home after a date/night out I'm not gonna turn it down because it's implying we're different :lol: I appreciate it, I don't like walking alone at night and I think it just shows that they're considerate and want to know that you're home safely.

Also, a couple of my friends have walked me somewhere before when they were going back to the same place, so it's not always a guy walking a girl and it's something that girls think about as well.

ReputationRep:
    It's not sexist, but nor does doing it make you a 'proper gentleman'. It just makes you a decent human being.

It is a problem if you insist on it, against the woman's wishes (this has happened to me and made me feel far more threatened than I would have felt walking alone). That is paternalistic and sexist, and even threatening, the simple offer isn't.

ReputationRep:
    If anybody believes it's sexist, I question their sanity.

I'd say it's being a decent human being.

ReputationRep:
    After Sportsnite:

Me: "Shall I make sure you get home safely?"
    Her: "The best way of doing that would be if you stay here."

Hurt. Right in the heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanya1901)
    It's not sexist, it's because women are more likely to be raped and attacked than men when walking alone at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there actually any evidence of this? I know men are overwhelmingly likely to be the victims of assault, but that obviously includes them getting into fights, not just random attacks.

Also, I don't really think the point of walking a girl home is to protect her. It's to prolong the date at least until her door...and maybe longer.

ReputationRep:
    What about if you have a mate that is skinny, would you insist on walking him home too?

ReputationRep:
    If you witness a feminist being raped. Best leave her so you're not seen as sexist for helping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    If you witness a feminist being raped..
    Ah but you run into quite the quandary haven't you now, for remember, is ALL sex not rape? (Unless it's sodomy..that's okay now lol)

http://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/...lways-rape-ok/

Or if the rapest doesn't have the bottle to follow through, but now the women is interested, maybe a fantasy of theirs?

http://thoughtcatalog.com/anne-gus/2...n-sex-is-rape/

(one is aware these are satire, well second certainly is...I hope the first is)

But back to the thread...

Nah it's not, though ironically men are more likely to be victims of a mugging/random assault.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend used to stop me from walking her all the way home because she said it was wasting my time. Now we usually meet just outside her house and as I leave I watch her go round the corner and she gets slightly annoyed at that too but likes it when I walk her home from somewhere now.

I just like to feel like I'm protecting her, I know where she is and that she is relatively safe.

To be fair, I'm getting tired of feminists now.

ReputationRep:
    I've had female friends do it for me after I've been really drunk. a) there was no chance of me finding my way home in that state b) its not 100% safe for lad either

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about when it's late and the guy wants to make sure she gets home safe. This is what a feminist once told me. She hated it because it assumes women are weak and inferior and need a man to protect them . There can't be too many girls thinking that, right?
    The feminist would only be correct if the man wanted to make sure the woman got back safe and made it open and clear that their reason of doing so is because he thought that females were the weaker and inferior sex who thus required assistance getting home. I as a feminist (and even if I wasn't a feminist) would geniunely want the woman to get home safe but I wouldn't force her to be assisted home if she was fine. So no, he is otherwise being a true gentleman.

ReputationRep:
    Feminists who have a problem with this really piss me off. It's got nothing to do with him being a man. It's him being a kind person. Not all guys do that. I usually refuse however just because I don't want to cause any trouble.

ReputationRep:
    No it is not sexist.

I would make sure a girl gets home safe after a date. And then I would make sure the girl wakes up on time for work/school the next morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow Student)
    The feminist would only be correct if the man wanted to make sure the woman got back safe and made it open and clear that their reason of doing so is because he thought that females were the weaker and inferior sex who thus required assistance getting home. I as a feminist (and even if I wasn't a feminist) would geniunely want the woman to get home safe but I wouldn't force her to be assisted home if she was fine. So no, he is otherwise being a true gentleman.
    I agree 100%. Sadly, supreme gentlemen such as ourselves are hard to come by these days.

ReputationRep:
    I agree 100%. Sadly, supreme gentlemen such as ourselves are hard to come by these days.
    This. :five:

Prsom :mad: :rofl:

True :sadnod:

I'm not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Or if the rapest doesn't have the bottle to follow through, but now the women is interested, maybe a fantasy of theirs?

http://thoughtcatalog.com/anne-gus/2...n-sex-is-rape/

(one is aware these are satire, well second certainly is...I hope the first is)
    It totally started tingling down in the ole’ Musky Mines—I needed a pickaxin’.

:rofl:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.