Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why I, as a Muslim, am launching a campaign to ban the burka in Britain Watch

ReputationRep:
    How is that fair? On one hand they say men are forcing them, then they want men to force them to not wear it. :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Exactly, he got arrested for 'public indecency' because he was naked in public.
    I don't know why he got arrested for public indecency or if it was only in Scotland as suggested above.

As far as I can see he is arrested and sent to Prison because he has the intent to cause "serious harassment, alarm or distress" according to the Judge. Not because he is naked.

Under the same logic, people regularly enjoy naked rambles around this country without being arrested for the intent to cause harm to others.

ReputationRep:
    A fake Muslim only saying this to please the haters.

ReputationRep:
    Why not launch a campaign to ban the religious indoctrination of children whilst in school ?

Someone from your own faith will order your death ?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xei...uslim-sch_news

The Catholic and Christian faith schools are just as bad at poisoning the minds of the next generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimrodstower)
    What about people who paint their faces up, all them little kiddies going to do time?
    Or men who grow beards - don't they cover up their lower face, so we can't recognise them?

Or is it only women who cover the lower part of their face who offend?

What about people who change the colour of their hair? or their hairstyle- mokawks? or shave it off?

Or is it that bit of skin around the bottom of the nose, approximately 2-3 square inches at most, being covered up which is the problem?

Surely having had fancy veils, flower power, glam rock, 6 inch heels, padded shoulders, huge silver sunglasses, plunging necklines, plunging backs, mini dresses, bare midriffs....glitter on your eyes, black circles round your eyes, fake tans.....we're past caring what people wear... on their bodies or their faces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    Or men who grow beards - don't they cover up their lower face, so we can't recognise them?

Or is it only women who cover the lower part of their face who offend?

What about people who change the colour of their hair? or their hairstyle- mokawks? or shave it off?

Or is it that bit of skin around the bottom of the nose, approximately 2-3 square inches at most, being covered up which is the problem?

Surely having had flower power, glam rock, 6 inch heels, padded shoulders, huge silver sunglasses, plunging necklines, plunging backs, mini dresses, bare midriffs.....we're past caring what people wear?
    You are in the same ballpark as me here, this idea of criminalising someone because they dress in a certain way is ridiculous, women who wear the Burqa should not be made to feel uncomfortable, and definitely not criminal. I have never felt intimidated by dress code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    If I was a girl I'd wear a burka as a political statement for the rejection of our society.

You should be thankful that you live in a society which won't kill you for rejecting any aspect of it, unlike all of the "lovely" places you probably wish Britain was like

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love how some people say "well you're not allowed to wear motorbike helmets in banks so why should burkas be allowed????!!!!1111"

As if that's the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Gotta love how some people say "well you're not allowed to wear motorbike helmets in banks so why should burkas be allowed????!!!!1111"

As if that's the same thing.
    They both cover the face. Which makes them both inappropriate in a bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    You should be thankful that you live in a society which won't kill you for rejecting any aspect of it, unlike all of the "lovely" places you probably wish Britain was like
    They wouldn't kill you for rejecting Islam, there is no punishment for apostasy in Islam.

Ever noticed how atheists also work in the UAE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some of these posts are ridiculous. You can't see their face. You don't know who they are AT all, it's not comparable to face paint or a beard where you can clearly see the facial features of a person. Balaclavas should also be banned, anything covering your face in public should be banned. It IS a matter of public safety, irrespective of religion or whether you're male or female. I don't know how face covering in public has been allowed to go on for so long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Some of these posts are ridiculous. You can't see their face. You don't know who they are AT all, it's not comparable to face paint or a beard where you can clearly see the facial features of a person. Balaclavas should also be banned, anything covering your face in public should be banned. It IS a matter of public safety, irrespective of religion or whether you're male or female. I don't know how face covering in public has been allowed to go on for so long.
    When I was ( much) younger my mother used to wear a hat with a veil. She no doubt thought it was alluring in some way - because you couldn't see most of her face. Sort of peekaboo for adults I suppose.

If this fashion comes back should it be banned too?

GIven that we can all alter our faces quite easily the notion that uncovering our faces is necessary for safety is crazy. I can alter my eye colour by wearing contact lenses, change my hair colour by dyeing it, cut it off / wear hair extensions, wear huge amounts of makeup or none.

Have you ever watched 'Snog, marry or avoid' ? People are unrecognisable once POD has had a go at them.

ReputationRep:
    They both cover the face. Which makes them both inappropriate in a bank.
    What I mean is that they are not the same in the way that one is worn for safety and the other is worn for religious purposes. Whether they are or are not appropriate to be worn in a bank is something else, but they are not really comparable.

ReputationRep:
    How many cases of women wearing a Burqa have you heard about, where the woman is involved in any criminal activity? You are playing to a fear, that is irrational. What about the human rights, where does this kind of control freak mentality end?

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is that they are not the same in the way that one is worn for safety and the other is worn for religious purposes. Whether they are or are not appropriate to be worn in a bank is something else, but they are not really comparable.
    Okay, maybe a more comparable example would be someone who believes that Star Wars is awesome; they wouldn't be allowed to wear a Darth Vader mask in a bank.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, maybe a more comparable example would be someone who believes that Star Wars is awesome; they wouldn't be allowed to wear a Darth Vader mask in a bank.
    Hmm, again not really the same since Star Wars fandom is not really the same. If it were I'd wear a Jar Jar Binks mask. He's underrated doncha know.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, again not really the same since Star Wars fandom is not really the same. If it were I'd wear a Jar Jar Binks mask. He's underrated doncha know.
    Eother way, religious beliefs shouldn't be allowed to be used as an excuse to flout rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    When I was ( much) younger my mother used to wear a hat with a veil. She no doubt thought it was alluring in some way - because you couldn't see most of her face. Sort of peekaboo for adults I suppose.

If this fashion comes back should it be banned too?

GIven that we can all alter our faces quite easily the notion that uncovering our faces is necessary for safety is crazy. I can alter my eye colour by wearing contact lenses, change my hair colour by dyeing it, cut it off / wear hair extensions, wear huge amounts of makeup or none.

Have you ever watched 'Snog, marry or avoid' ? People are unrecognisable once POD has had a go at them.
    I have watched it yes but you can still see that they have the same facial features. They're not unrecognisable at all. And how many people will go to all that effort when you can simply put on a balaclava or a Burkha and be done with it? I personally think anything that involves covering your face should be banned in public.

(Original post by nimrodstower)
    How many cases of women wearing a Burqa have you heard about, where the woman is involved in any criminal activity? You are playing to a fear, that is irrational. What about the human rights, where does this kind of control freak mentality end?
    I'm not playing to any fear. I clearly said that I want balaclavas banned too. And please, kindly direct me to where the ECHR states that covering your face is a human right? Having studied Law I have never heard of such a right.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not playing to any fear. I clearly said that I want balaclavas banned too. And please, kindly direct me to where the ECHR states that covering your face is a human right? Having studied Law I have never heard of such a right.
    The right is the right to practice your religion freely.

Now the Quran says dress modestly and hide your beauty etc, it leaves that open to interpretation so if people interpret this as a burka then they are free to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mubariz)
    The right is the right to practice your religion freely.

Now the Quran says dress modestly and hide your beauty etc, it leaves that open to interpretation so if people interpret this as a burka then they are free to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Public safety/security overrides that. You don't have to wear a burkha so it's just kicking up a stink over nothing. You can dress modestly and hide your beauty without wearing something that means nobody can tell who you are. If it's not a clearly stated requirement I think it's unreasonable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.