Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Real talk- relationships, marriage, religion and love Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOneLegendAdz)
    Thank you so much for reading! Did you ever tell your parents? This post doesn't just apply to islam it can be the restrictions from any religion like in your case The whole post was about my view on the restrictions of religion on those who don't believe. It was just islam for my case this can apply to anyone. I'm so glad people are agreeing with what I had to say! I kept telling myself in my head that what I was writing was stupid and I would be labelled like a coward or wahtever. Thanks for this buddy!
    Christianity doesnt impose too many restrictions (if you're just a normal every day christian anyway, obviously there are fundamentalists), it was just the constant asking for forgiveness and being told im "not worthy" of this and that in church. I hated sitting in church all that time also, knowing I didn't believe any of this stuff was true. I just wanted to go home and watch power rangers yano? :cool: Religion seemed to spend more time making me feel like I'd done something wrong than it did make me feel good. Among many other reasons this is why I now want nothing to do with it, not to mention the whole teaching creationism to kids as an equal alternative to evolution, that really, really, really makes me mad as hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amphiprion)
    Christianity doesnt impose too many restrictions (if you're just a normal every day christian anyway, obviously there are fundamentalists), it was just the constant asking for forgiveness and being told im "not worthy" of this and that in church. I hated sitting in church all that time also, knowing I didn't believe any of this stuff was true. I just wanted to go home and watch power rangers yano? :cool: Religion seemed to spend more time making me feel like I'd done something wrong than it did make me feel good. Among many other reasons this is why I now want nothing to do with it, not to mention the whole teaching creationism to kids as an equal alternative to evolution, that really, really, really makes me mad as hell.
    I really understand where you're coming from there!! Good on you mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    If only everyone else had as much common sense as you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man! I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for reading!! I'm so happy someone knows how I feel Personally, I think it's harder for a female in my position so I hope one day you can also do what I want to do one day Thanks for being there Pm me anytime you want as well
    Its alright, the one thing I'm thankful about is that I don't have to get an arranged marriage as my sister didn't but some rules still apply which is annoying,
    It is hard but I'm quite fortunate to have a non strict family so I have more freedom then most,
    I'll deffo PM you if I need you in the future

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Excellent post. I feel sorry for all the kids who never had a chance to find their own path in life thanks to their strict religious parents.

ReputationRep:
    That's really good to hear that you were able to tell them!! Great news!! Is your life better now? What did your parents say and how did they take it? Thanks for reading my post as well
    My life is much better now. I can do what I like (within the letter of the law ofcourse). I discovered I love bacon and all that 'Haram' food :P I also tried Alcohol a few times (didn't get drunk or anything) and I didn't like it so now I know it's not my thing, instead of being told by religion that it's not my thing. My parents reacted calmly, saying they hope one day I will be able to practise Islam again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reading mate! What made it inspirational? I just want to know aha Can't really answer the last bit haha sorry
    Well the whole paragraph was really good. i especially liked how you stated the problem of most Muslims having no control of their lives the second they are born.
    But dont worry im sure things will get better for you

Do you plan to talk to your parents about how you feel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilem)
    Excellent post. I feel sorry for all the kids who never had a chance to find their own path in life thanks to their strict religious parents.
    Thanks man! I know it really p***** me off :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbdulKoyes)
    My life is much better now. I can do what I like (within the letter of the law ofcourse). I discovered I love bacon and all that 'Haram' food :P I also tried Alcohol a few times (didn't get drunk or anything) and I didn't like it so now I know it's not my thing, instead of being told by religion that it's not my thing. My parents reacted calmly, saying they hope one day I will be able to practise Islam again
    Good to hear buddy! Hopefully one day I can go on to do what you have done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmanvi)
    Well the whole paragraph was really good. i especially liked how you stated the problem of most Muslims having no control of their lives the second they are born.
    But dont worry im sure things will get better for you

Do you plan to talk to your parents about how you feel?
    I don't know :0 That's where my confusion is!! My parents are very strict! If I tell them now I'll get beaten the **** out of! Even over 18 I'll get abandoned and kicked out of their lives and lose family members etc it's just I don't know what the hell I'm gunna do! I kinda also need my parents for university with fees etc! It's very confusing! At the moment my parents don't have the slightest idea I'm not pro islam. I always do what they say when they say things like cmon pray! Come to the mosque now! I just obey out of fear! I'm so sorry

ReputationRep:
    I don't know :0 That's where my confusion is!! My parents are very strict! If I tell them now I'll get beaten the **** out of! Even over 18 I'll get abandoned and kicked out of their lives and lose family members etc it's just I don't know what the hell I'm gunna do! I kinda also need my parents for university with fees etc! It's very confusing! At the moment my parents don't have the slightest idea I'm not pro islam. I always do what they say when they say things like cmon pray! Come to the mosque now! I just obey out of fear! I'm so sorry
    Situations like this are so complicated :/
    Okay i have a friend who is 18 and wants to go uni (shes Indian). But shes in a secret relationship with a black guy... and she is adamant her parents will not approve and that it will bring shame on her family (she even considered running away)

She really wants to come clean but me and other friends are trying to advice her but im not sure what to say i feel like ive reached a checkmate.

Now this connects to your problem in away, because im starting to think her coming clean right now (she must eventually) would be a bad idea as shes going uni. Like you said she needs financial support during uni to help her concentrate on her degree which is very important. But on the other hand i believe parents are very important, they raise their children for several years with love and care but some hold such wrong beliefs that make them lose sight of whats right.
    They think what they are doing is for their child's benefit but it isnt, i dont think this makes them evil or anything just... deluded

But yea i get you, i think it may be best to come clean when you can live a stable life (maybe during uni or after... but the problem is that this may be too long to continue living a lie )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmanvi)
    Situations like this are so complicated :/
    Okay i have a friend who is 18 and wants to go uni (shes Indian). But shes in a secret relationship with a black guy... and she is adamant her parents will not approve and that it will bring shame on her family (she even considered running away)

She really wants to come clean but me and other friends are trying to advice her but im not sure what to say i feel like ive reached a checkmate.

Now this connects to your problem in away, because im starting to think her coming clean right now (she must eventually) would be a bad idea as shes going uni. Like you said she needs financial support during uni to help her concentrate on her degree which is very important. But on the other hand i believe parents are very important, they raise their children for several years with love and care but some hold such wrong beliefs that make them lose sight of whats right.
    They think what they are doing is for their child's benefit but it isnt, i dont think this makes them evil or anything just... deluded

But yea i get you, i think it may be best to come clean when you can live a stable life (maybe during uni or after... but the problem is that this may be too long to continue living a lie )
    Thanks for this and I hope your friend tells her parents and can move on positively with her life I just don't know what to do really... I'm just coasting through my years living a lie basically

ReputationRep:
    bump

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.