Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is an individual who is three quarter black and one quarter white mixed race Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

It's insanely naive to call a mixed race person who blatantly looks mixed race and not black a black individual.

But the bottom line is I am mixed race as I am not actually black, I'm quarter white so if someone is given the correct information about me, they should accept me as mixed race. If I was given information about a mixed race person who had quite 'black' complexion I would accept that they are mixed-race. I am OK with people who have never seen me before misidentifying me as black, I have a problem with people who know me and know full-well that I am mixed race yet still call me black. This is where the issue lies.

My mother is fine with me calling myself white English, I'm quite strange and eccentric so my mother has to come acustomed to such things. We both know that we are mixed race and that we aren't black and shouldn't be considered black nor should we be considered white. I am fine with being mixed race and being called mixed-race. I would tell a white person that I am mixed-race, no problem. The notion that I am white is really between me, my mother and my white family members. When I go out, I don't wear a label saying I'm white I just say I am mixed-race which I am. I am mixed race and have mixed heritage, there you go...

Listen here black person. I hate to break it to you but you are more black than you are white. Everyone probably laughs at you. Self hate is real, what a shame. You hate being identified as black rather than mixed race but are fine with being called white and actually call yourself White English? Spoiler: you are not & never will be White English.
    Don't be so ridiculous. You're more black than you would ever be white. The self-hate is so real, you need a reality check. You are not white English. You will never be. Judging by your description of yourself, you just look like a black person to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't matter, unless your filling out the national census in which case I write down 'Ewok' in the other section.

Don't waste precious thought on such irrelevancies, you're a homo-sapien mammal. Only thing that you need to consider about your skin colour is how much vitamin D you intake to avoid things like rickets.

Why should black people be offended, I'm not actually black. I wouldn't be offended if a black person said they weren't mixed race.

I'm denying my heritage, I am mixed race and so my heritage is of England (origin white english and of Black African. I have accepted this and therefore have accepted that I am mixed-race and I have stated this numerous times. Since I am a quarter white English I call myself white English although I am actually mixed-race. I have embraced both of my heritages. The problem I have is people calling me black as I am not black and that is a fact. I am not black and you cannot deny something that you aren't.

OK quarter-caste, yes it is offensive but I would rather be called that than to be called black as I really am not black. You wouldn't call an british Asian person black, so why call a british- mixed (white and black) person black?.
      So the problem you have is that people call you black, when you actually prefer being called white? Whether you like it or not, you are mixed race, more black (3/4) than white (1/4), so I understand people's confusion when you identify yourself as white, ignoring the whole 3/4 of you. That's something you can't change, so you need to educate yourself and realise that some negative connotations that come with 'being mixed-race/black' doesn't apply to everyone. Also you can be black/mixed-race & middle-class. Your OP is full of ignorance and insecurity about your identity, which is a bit sad. Remember your race doesn't really mean anything, just that you are mixed-race. That's it.

Edit: you keep saying why can't people accept that I'm not black. Thing is, you need to accept that you are mixed race, no matter how white you want to be.

(Original post by Tai Ga)
      No one's denying that. What's an issue is you identifying as white when you're not and completely generalising the race which frankly makes up the most of you. You'd have no qualms if someone called you white. Heck, you embrace it. The minute someone sees you as a black man you get offended. If that doesn't highlight a deep rooted issue I don't know what does. If you're so hell bent on being seen as "mixed race" and supposedly have no self-hate issues, you should be offended being referred to as white as well.
      So if I was to call myself black then I would be ashamed of being partially white. Although a majority of society wouldn't pick up on this, they would accept me as black even though I am not. Why would it be any better to call myself black than to call myself white?.

There are some white stereotypes which I dislike but I don't have a problem with being part white, there are some black stereotypes which I don't like but I don't mind being part black. However I am mixed-race, so I shouldn't be reffered to as black or compared to black people as I am not black. I enjoy my white side slightly more than I enjoy my black side, but overall I embrace that I am a mixture and that I am mixed-race.

I think another issue i have is that so many people call mixed raced people black, in comparison to the amount of people who call mixed race people white. So it is as though you're being forced in to believing you are black and embracing this whilst being denied the opportunity to embrace your white side in society. So it would be partially a mixed raced persons' defence mechanism and curiosity to identify themselves as black. Because why not? why is it any better to identify as black than as white.

It's just my personal thing. To be honest if someone called me white I would say I'm actually mixed raced. If more people classed me as mixed race and not black, then I wouldn't have the same personal opinion. I would be a lot happier.

I suppose if everyone called me white and not mixed-race, then I would be offended. The point is that might never happenings by the looks of things. There is this ridiculous notion that if you have black in you, you are black and that the concept mixed-race isn't taken seriously.

So I suppose the motive of sometimes calling myself white is to make people think, if you can call me black then you may as well call me white. What's the difference?. ( yes obviously I am biologically more black than white) but socially, what makes a mixed race person more black than white?

Most people on this thread have accepted that I am mixed-race and neither black or white, but the society I live in has a problem with accepting that I am mixed race and not black. I am very thankful of this, it means a lot to be accepted as what I am.

I really don't have a self-hate issue, I just have an issue with people not accepting that I am mixed-race. So that is really my point. I am not ashamed of having white and black ethnic origins, I just have a problem with being called something I am not.

(Original post by SophiaLDN)
      Listen here black person. I hate to break it to you but you are more black than you are white. Everyone probably laughs at you. Self hate is real, what a shame. You hate being identified as black rather than mixed race but are fine with being called white and actually call yourself White English? Spoiler: you are not & never will be White English.
      Don't be so ridiculous. You're more black than you would ever be white. The self-hate is so real, you need a reality check. You are not white English. You will never be. Judging by your description of yourself, you just look like a black person to everyone.
      I will also never be black English. I am mixed race English. You calling me black is laughable.

(Original post by SomeStudent)
      So the problem you have is that people call you black, when you actually prefer being called white? Whether you like it or not, you are mixed race, more black (3/4) than white (1/4), so I understand people's confusion when you identify yourself as white, ignoring the whole 3/4 of you. That's something you can't change, so you need to educate yourself and realise that some negative connotations that come with 'being mixed-race/black' doesn't apply to everyone. Also you can be black/mixed-race & middle-class. Your OP is full of ignorance and insecurity about your identity, which is a bit sad. Remember your race doesn't really mean anything, just that you are mixed-race. That's it.

Edit: you keep saying why can't people accept that I'm not black. Thing is, you need to accept that you are mixed race, no matter how white you want to be.
      I think it's because I feel that people don't take the concept of mixed-race seriously. I am happy to be mixed-race but if more people called me mixed race I would be happier and I would never call myself white.

I know I am not white and that is a ridiculous conclusion, but so is the conclusion that I am black, do you see the idea I'm trying to denote?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by superdarklord)
      I think the issue is, what makes you afraid to identify as black? Obviously, I would say you're mixed race and its clear that you're proportionally "more" black. Yet you seem hesitant to acknowledge that and instead point out features that distinguish you from being black.

Is the issue that you are ashamed to acknowledge who you are? Why is it more important to point out you're a quarter white rather than accept being three quarters black?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      This.

ReputationRep:
      Exactly. I am not black, i am mixed race. Mixed race people do not belong to a single race, so it's wrong to say a mixed race person falls in to a single race.

However, I feel that a mixed race person has the right to refer to themselves as a single race if they wish to do so. But society should refer to them as mixed race.

You are slightly right, black British people do get discriminated a lot in the UK. I shouldn't be part of this discrimination as i am not black, although i am mixed race and mixed race people (whom have white in them) as obviously you can be mixed race- black and Asian British, do also get discriminated despite the fact they actually have white British in them and they have relatives of whom are actually white British.

Some mixed race individuals who are three quarters white and a quarter black and who look very white call themselves black , so on that logic i can call myself white. But at the end of the day, I don't like being called black because i am not black. It isn't just the fact that i dislike the general black british culture and the overall black cultures, it's mainly the fact that i am not actually black but mixed race. If i was black, then I would be black, it wouldn't matter that i hated the black culture, I would still be black. Same goes if I was white, or if i was asian/arab (brown) mixed race, whatever. It's the same principal.

To be honest, I'm getting the impression of a bit of racial self hatred on your part. It seems you will do/say anything to not 'be black'. At the end of the day, no matter how much you dislike 'black culture', you are African and you have to accept and embrace that. You may associate yourself more with white culture but you're not white. I don't mean this harshly, but as somebody said above, white is a skin colour and your skin isn't white. If you associate more with your British or European heritage, cool. But the whole seeing yourself as 'white'..it just rubs me up the wrong way. Trust me, I know how you feel. But this whole question on whether you're mixed race, it doesn't seem out of general curiosity, it seems more to try and detach yourself from being African/having black skin.

ReputationRep:
      Why should black people be offended, I'm not actually black. I wouldn't be offended if a black person said they weren't mixed race.

I'm denying my heritage, I am mixed race and so my heritage is of England (origin white english and of Black African. I have accepted this and therefore have accepted that I am mixed-race and I have stated this numerous times. Since I am a quarter white English I call myself white English although I am actually mixed-race. I have embraced both of my heritages. The problem I have is people calling me black as I am not black and that is a fact. I am not black and you cannot deny something that you aren't.

OK quarter-caste, yes it is offensive but I would rather be called that than to be called black as I really am not black. You wouldn't call an british Asian person black, so why call a british- mixed (white and black) person black?.

The last sentence. A mixed race person looks more black than an Asian person does..I don't like being called solely one of my races either as I embrace and accept them both. You keep insisting that you're not black when nobody has said you are..what's that to do with the title of the thread anyway? We aren't saying you are black end off, we're just more concerned with you trying to shun your black heritage.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tai Ga)
      LMAO that you consider yourself white. White people are probably laughing at you :rofl: The self-hate is real.
      You could be more sensitive. It's not funny, I'm finding it quite upsetting to read tbh.

ReputationRep:
      You're quarter cast but I would consider you as more black than white (which you are). I understand that you 'identify' as being white but at the same time I don't understand why you're ashamed to acknowledge that you are also black. I can't help but feel that you have generalised black people to act a certain way and as a result you have a negative perception of them. Also, the way you emphasised that you are middle-class struck me because that means nothing. There are upper and middle class black people out there you know, you're not a special case.

Just because you don't have coarse hair doesn't make you 'less black' there are many black people with loose/wavy hair textures and what has you being able to use hair products targeted at European/Asian hair textures got to do with anything? That doesn't make you less black...

I don't really care if black people would be offended, I'm not black I am mixed race so people should just accept that. Why can't people accept that I am

I can understand if a white person missidentified a mixed race person as black if they actually looked black is complexion, what I can't understand is how a white person or anyone even, can misidentify a mixed race person who actually doesn't look fully black or white (especially in complexion) as black. That's just offensive and ignorant. However if a mixed race person who may look sort of black, proves that they aren't black then they should accepted as mixed race and not black.

It's insanely naive to call a mixed race person who blatonly looks mixed race and not black a black individual.

But the bottom line is I am mixed race as I am not actually black, I'm quarter white so if someone is given the correct information about me, they should accept me as mixed race. If I was given information about a mixed race person who had quite 'black' complexion I would accept that they are mixed-race. I am OK with people who have never seen me before misidentifying me as black, I have a problem with people who know me and know full-well that I am mixed race yet still call me black. This is where the issue lies.

My mother is fine with me calling myself white English, I'm quite strange and eccentric so my mother has to come acustomed to such things. We both know that we are mixed race and that we aren't black and shouldn't be considered black nor should we be considered white. I am fine with being mixed race and being called mixed-race. I would tell a white person that I am mixed-race, no problem. The notion that I am white is really between me, my mother and my white family members. When I go out, I don't wear a label saying I'm white I just say I am mixed-race which I am. I am mixed race and have mixed heritage, there you go...

I clearly look mixed race but I still get called black. It's ignorant, but I guess it's just easier for people. It annoys me, but I'm not really bothered. What race/skin colour they think I have, why would it matter?!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PaulHugh)
      You cant call yourself white cos you're not but but you can't call yourself black cos you aren't black. It's OK to be mixed-raced atleast you're not black and you're more English than a black person. You'll just have to live with the fact that you're partially black but don't forget you're a little white as well. Oh and isn't mixed-race the fastest growing race in the UK so black people will dissapear at some point as for some reason a lot of black men like white women sexually and quite a few black women like white me.?

'at least you're not black'

'you'll just have to live with the fact'

oh my goodness.

ReputationRep:
      That is correct, I am mixed-race. I didn't say I was white. You can call yourself something that you're not and know full-well that you aren't.

I have dealt with the fact that I am not white or black and that I am mixed-race. There is nothing wrong in being mixed-race, i'm pretty sure I haven't said that.

Your race is mixed, but I assume your skin is black. So you are black, but your race isn't solely African. Just remember, black isn't a race. It's a skin colour.

ReputationRep:
      No. You are a white man.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fortunesfool)
      The last sentence. A mixed race person looks more black than an Asian person does..I don't like being called solely one of my races either as I embrace and accept them both. You keep insisting that you're not black when nobody has said you are..what's that to do with the title of the thread anyway? We aren't saying you are black end off, we're just more concerned with you trying to shun your black heritage.
      But you just said he is African in the post above when he isn't really African, he is English/African mixed race technically but I think the politically acceptable word is British mixed (white British and Black British). How can you embrace something you aren't, it isn't really going to help him as that will probably push him even more into his belief that he is white

ReputationRep:
      So if I was to call myself black then I would be ashamed of being partially white. Although a majority of society wouldn't pick up on this, they would accept me as black even though I am not. Why would it be any better to call myself black than to call myself white?.

There are some white stereotypes which I dislike but I don't have a problem with being part white, there are some black stereotypes which I don't like but I don't mind being part black. However I am mixed-race, so I shouldn't be reffered to as black or compared to black people as I am not black. I enjoy my white side slightly more than I enjoy my black side, but overall I embrace that I am a mixture and that I am mixed-race.

I think another issue i have is that so many people call mixed raced people black, in comparison to the amount of people who call mixed race people white. So it is as though you're being forced in to believing you are black and embracing this whilst being denied the opportunity to embrace your white side in society. So it would be partially a mixed raced persons' defence mechanism and curiosity to identify themselves as black. Because why not? why is it any better to identify as black than as white.

It's just my personal thing. To be honest if someone called me white I would say I'm actually mixed raced. If more people classed me as mixed race and not black, then I wouldn't have the same personal opinion. I would be a lot happier.

I suppose if everyone called me white and not mixed-race, then I would be offended. The point is that might never happenings by the looks of things. There is this ridiculous notion that if you have black in you, you are black and that the concept mixed-race isn't taken seriously.

So I suppose the motive of sometimes calling myself white is to make people think, if you can call me black then you may as well call me white. What's the difference?. ( yes obviously I am biologically more black than white) but socially, what makes a mixed race person more black than white?

Most people on this thread have accepted that I am mixed-race and neither black or white, but the society I live in has a problem with accepting that I am mixed race and not black. I am very thankful of this, it means a lot to be accepted as what I am.

I really don't have a self-hate issue, I just have an issue with people not accepting that I am mixed-race. So that is really my point. I am not ashamed of having white and black ethnic origins, I just have a problem with being called something I am not.

People call mixed race people black more than white because they can sometimes pass for a light skin black person, but they probably wouldn't pass for a dark skin white person as their isn't as much variety in white skin. Plus black genes are more dominant for the most part. I think people should be referred to as mixed race, but visually most mixed race people look 'more' black than white i.e hair texture.

(Original post by Aeuronautics)
      But you just said he is African in the post above when he isn't really African, he is English/African mixed race technically but I think the politically acceptable word is British mixed (white British and Black British). How can you embrace something you aren't, it isn't really going to help him as that will probably push him even more into his belief that he is white

It doesn't work like that. Just because he is part English, doesn't mean he isn't African. Just because he's part African, doesn't mean he isn't English. You don't have to be 100% of one race (which nobody is) to be that race, hence being mixed race.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aeuronautics)
      But he is. "How can you embrace something you aren't?" So he's not African?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fortunesfool)
      But he is. "How can you embrace something you aren't?" So he's not African?
      Well not really, he has origins from Africa but also has origins from Europe. So he is a mixture I don't really know what category in terms of ethnic origin, I suppose you could just say of mixed origins but yeah he's not really African or English (European)

I think the other anonymous guy in the above post was more accurate :/

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.