Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do your parents tell you that you are pretty? Watch

ReputationRep:
    yeah my mum does, and if its for a particularly fancy event where i've done myself up my dad usually says something like "oh you look nice"

but if i look like ****e or look like i've put weight on my mum will also tell me that :lol:

ReputationRep:
    No they would never say that in a million years

ReputationRep:
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    My mother doesn't, she tells me occasionally that when I'm older and I have money, that I should get a nose job - feeling the love

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope, my sister is the pretty one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep up the good work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    **** mods

ReputationRep:
    No because they are honest.

ReputationRep:
    My mum does occasionally. However, she was recently looking through some childhood photos and remarked "ugh, what an ugly child you were - you were never the cute one, your sister was." Thanks mum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    My mum does occasionally. However, she was recently looking through some childhood photos and remarked "ugh, what an ugly child you were - you were never the cute one, your sister was." Thanks mum...
    what the hell is wrong with her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been told by people that I, but have never heard it from my parents.

So I'm wondering whether this is the same with others.

I'm guessing maybe my parents don't say anything to me because they don't want to give me the impression that beauty comes before anything else in life, because it doesn't.

But, what could any other reasons be?
    That could be the reason, or maybe their parents never really commented on their appearance so now they don't really think to do it with you, so in other words it could be a cultural thing? It seems that Asian parents in particular wouldn't really compliment their child's looks often (I don't know if this is true its just a guess)

My dad tells me I'm beautiful a lot which is nice but doesn't really mean much to me since he is my dad lol and my mum rarely ever comments on my looks, though she does say both good and bad things about my appearance occasionally.

(Original post by qwerty73)
    That could be the reason, or maybe their parents never really commented on their appearance so now they don't really think to do it with you, so in other words it could be a cultural thing? It seems that Asian parents in particular wouldn't really compliment their child's looks often (I don't know if this is true its just a guess)

My dad tells me I'm beautiful a lot which is nice but doesn't really mean much to me since he is my dad lol and my mum rarely ever comments on my looks, though she does say both good and bad things about my appearance occasionally.
    I am Indian in fact! My mum recently told me that I've put on weight since going to uni, but I never get the compliments from her.

When I go out for family dos, I'll ask her if I look good and she does say yes, but that's me having to ask her first, not coming directly from her.

Also, as a lot of people have mentioned, a parents opinion can't be trusted because they aren't going to outright be horrible to you.

But, I trust my brother - he gives me honest opinions and will tell me when I look good or fat or my bags look massive lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh they both do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    My mum also likes to comment compliments on my instagram pics lol

ReputationRep:
    My mum always tells me I'm gorgeous.. my dad just complains about the way I dress, my piercings, the make-up I wear, the weight I gain, the weight I lose... Pretty much everything!

ReputationRep:
    My parents just criticise me and tell me I need to lose weight etc even though I'm a size 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been told by people that I, but have never heard it from my parents.

So I'm wondering whether this is the same with others.

I'm guessing maybe my parents don't say anything to me because they don't want to give me the impression that beauty comes before anything else in life, because it doesn't.

But, what could any other reasons be?
    My mom is very mean to me. Strangers and associates compliment me all the time despite me not really keen for it, so I just shyly accept what they say. I am dying to hear it from my mother but I don't think that's gonnoo 'appen. I gotta be somethin' great so she can love me again.

ReputationRep:
    Do your parents give you other compliments?

Mine have never said that they love me/think I'm pretty/talented/smart. My mum just likes to make snide comments about my appearance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    Oh boy. When I was younger my mum did that. But as I got older she told me that my sister is very jealous of me, as we are black but mixed with Native American but I am the only sibling who looks so, as in hair and complexion. I am also 4 yrs younger than one of my sisters yet guys her age fancied me more because I have a mature figure/my sister is deathly thin and has rheumatoid arthritis from malnourishment; too lazy to cook :rolleyes:. I am now suspecting as a I blossom into my womanhood more and more everyday that my mother envies me a tinch, as she is very overweight. I used to be overweight as a kid & we had that in common but I just slimmed and she got mean. Point is your mum could be jealous or just has great expectations, either from snobbery or sadness of herself.

ReputationRep:
    no

my mother does say I have nice arms though, and rest of my family do say I look a lot "bigger" and have nice "big broad shoulders"

my dad's never complimented me, think's he's jealous brah

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.