Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In

I did the same thing with deadlifts - hurt my back and I'm a little scared of them now.

OHP - you're the same as me, my upper body is so weak! I was stuck on 20kg for OHP for around 3 weeks, and that's with doing them 3 times a weak too. Finally increased to 22.5kg, don't be disheartened, they are hard! The trick I got told is to increase the volume, so instead of my 3x6 I try to do 3x8 or as many as I can, that helps you build up to a higher weight at less reps.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flown_muse)
    In

I did the same thing with deadlifts - hurt my back and I'm a little scared of them now.

OHP - you're the same as me, my upper body is so weak! I was stuck on 20kg for OHP for around 3 weeks, and that's with doing them 3 times a weak too. Finally increased to 22.5kg, don't be disheartened, they are hard! The trick I got told is to increase the volume, so instead of my 3x6 I try to do 3x8 or as many as I can, that helps you build up to a higher weight at less reps.

Good luck!
    Oooh that's a good tip, I'll definitely try it! I seem to be stuck around 20-22.5kg for all my upper body stuff at the moment.

I've also had over a week off due to the back thing then going away then being ill. So god knows how terrible my session is going to be tomorrow! I'm a bit scared to try deadlifts again aswell, I've never found them to be comfortable (for lack of a better word), I'm not sure if it's my form or the fact it always slips out of my hands..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Oooh that's a good tip, I'll definitely try it! I seem to be stuck around 20-22.5kg for all my upper body stuff at the moment.

I've also had over a week off due to the back thing then going away then being ill. So god knows how terrible my session is going to be tomorrow! I'm a bit scared to try deadlifts again aswell, I've never found them to be comfortable (for lack of a better word), I'm not sure if it's my form or the fact it always slips out of my hands..
    Yeah, I haven't tried benching yet (no spotter) but I think as girls our upper body stuff is always going to be weaker.

Do you find it slips out because of sweat, lack of grip or the size of bar? I suspect I'm going to have to do grip work way before I hit my limit of weight. Chalk for sweat? Have you tried different types? I do sumo DL for mine, I find it easier?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I haven't tried benching yet (no spotter) but I think as girls our upper body stuff is always going to be weaker.

Do you find it slips out because of sweat, lack of grip or the size of bar? I suspect I'm going to have to do grip work way before I hit my limit of weight. Chalk for sweat? Have you tried different types? I do sumo DL for mine, I find it easier?
    Yeah it's mainly sweat, I do need some chalk I'm just not sure how I can carry it around in the gym with me without looking weird! (it's a bit of a posh gym in a health club, not many lifters!). I can just never position my arms and legs, I always hit my shins with the bar or find my legs have to be so wide it forces my arms even wider and awkward. I guess practice makes perfect!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's mainly sweat, I do need some chalk I'm just not sure how I can carry it around in the gym with me without looking weird! (it's a bit of a posh gym in a health club, not many lifters!). I can just never position my arms and legs, I always hit my shins with the bar or find my legs have to be so wide it forces my arms even wider and awkward. I guess practice makes perfect!
    Liquid chalk! Wee bottle you can put in your pocket and doesn't make a mess, it's brilliant! If you have to put your legs wide, can you put your arms inside them? I dunno, that's what I do for sumo DL.

Looking forward to updates anyway

ReputationRep:
    Session 13

Squat 60kg 3x5

Bench 22.5kg 5x5

Row 22.5kg 5x5

Overall I'm quite happy considering I've had over a week off not doing any exercise. Didn't want to push it so started off quite low. Ready to get back into it now!

ReputationRep:
    In

Good luck!
    This is not surprising. Though 20kg--->22.5kg looks innocent enough, it represents a MASSIVE 12.5% increase on an exercise that is hard to progress for guys, let alone girls who have much lower levels of circulating androgens (to which the upper body muscles, especially shoulders, are much more sensitive to).

You'll probably have to work hard for weeks for every 2.5kg improvement you see on this lift, and will probably never see the north side of 40kg for reps and sets, unless you train diligently for many many years.

ReputationRep:
    ^ In One Ear speaks the truth. OHP is a hard lift to progresss on. I would suggest either doing more reps for a few sessions before upping weight, ie 5x5, 5x6, 5x7 and maybe even 5x8 before moving up. Everyone is different and so will progress at different rates. Another option is pausing the reps at the bottom which makes it a lot harder so you will increase strength without going up a weight.

ReputationRep:
    Session 14

Squat 5x3 60kg
    3x3 62.5kg

OHP 5x8 15kg (as per illusionz recommendation, ideally it would have been 5x6/7 @ 17.5kg but they don't have a fixed bar of that weight at my gym)

Deadlift 1x5 45kg (tried out sumo deadlift form, kept it light because I'm still scared after what happened last time! I prefer the sumo position for deads so I might carry on with it)

ReputationRep:
    Session 15

Squat 5x3 @ 62.5kg
    3x3 @ 65kg

Row 5x5 @ 25kg

Bench 5x5 @ 27.5kg (it was on a Smith so I don't really think it counts)

I also weighed myself, 61.5kg...

ReputationRep:
    Session 16

Squat 3x5 @ 65kg

Ohp 3x5 @ 20kg

Deadlift 1x5 @ 50kg (still keeping it light because I'm scared of doing my back in again, but I do feel a lot more comfortable doing sumo deadlifts)

Won't be able to get to the gym until next Tuesday now, so hopefully I won't lose too much.

ReputationRep:
    Session 17

Squat 3x5 @ 65kg
    3x3 @ 67.5kg

Bench 5x5 @ 30kg (smith)
    Row 5x5 @ 25kg
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Increase the weight on that squat

Nice progress

However for the love of mercy, don't bench on a smith, your rotator cuffs will be destroyed. DB bench if you can't do barbell for whatever reason

ReputationRep:
    In

But yes as above, ditch the smith, seeing people benching on it makes me cringe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Increase the weight on that squat

Nice progress

However for the love of mercy, don't bench on a smith, your rotator cuffs will be destroyed. DB bench if you can't do barbell for whatever reason
    Increase? I've been adding 2.5kg each time for the last few sessions, it's already over my own body weight! I don't want to push it to failure and hurt myself. I think I've increased 10kg in about 3 weeks which isn't bad. Though I do aim to get to 70kg next session.

I know, I know! Out of interest what is even the point of a smith? You can't seem to do anything on it! But yeah I usually try and use the normal bench but it's often in use. I was just a bit lazy today and didn't want to wait, I'll just do a dumbell bench next time (though I always seem to have to do down a lot in weight with dumbells compared to a bar).
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Increase? I've been adding 2.5kg each time for the last few sessions, it's already over my own body weight! I don't want to push it to failure and hurt myself. I think I've increased 10kg in about 3 weeks which isn't bad. Though I do aim to get to 70kg next session.
    You've squatted 65kg for the last two times it seems

I know, I know! Out of interest what is even the point of a smith? You can't seem to do anything on it! But yeah I usually try and use the normal bench but it's often in use. I was just a bit lazy today and didn't want to wait, I'll just do a dumbell bench next time (though I always seem to have to do down a lot in weight with dumbells compared to a bar).
    The smith is a towel rack, inverted row machine and pull up bar It has no other uses

Yes you will have to go down in weight for DB bench, it's due to less stabilisation due to the lack of a bar. It's a superior movement

For DB bench, make sure you keep your form true to barbell bench in that you have an arch in your back and keep your scapulae together

As I said though, nice progress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You've squatted 65kg for the last two times it seems

The smith is a towel rack, inverted row machine and pull up bar It has no other uses

Yes you will have to go down in weight for DB bench, it's due to less stabilisation due to the lack of a bar. It's a superior movement

For DB bench, make sure you keep your form true to barbell bench in that you have an arch in your back and keep your scapulae together

As I said though, nice progress
    I see what you mean, but I tend to do 3x5 of my previous max and then onto 3x3 of the next weight up with squats. I didn't want to go straight to 3x5 67.5kg today so did my previous session plus the 3x3 of 67.5..If that makes any sense. I probably could have done but I don't want to sacrifice form for the sake of adding weight if I don't feel comfortable with it.

Thanks, I sometimes feel I'm getting nowhere with upper body but then I do have to remind myself im a little girl with no upper body strength to begin with! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Session 18

Squat 3x5 @ 67.5kg
    3x3 @ 70kg (Aaaahhh! Not long ago I thought this would be impossible.)

OHP 5x5 @ 20kg (crap, but whatever)

Deadlift 1x5 @ 55kg

ReputationRep:
    Session 19

Squat 3x5 70kg

Bench 5x5 25kg (back using the proper bench and not slumming it on the smith)

Row 5x5 25kg

ReputationRep:
    lol and a few days ago you were saying how 3x5 on 70 would be impossible!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.