Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCynicalChild)
    Have a Turkish name and it's one of the most embarrassing things to introduce yourself to someone because they can never pronounce it properly so I've ended up with multiple different variations of my name.
    I hate it when I'm sat in a reception area with other people and I'm called through, but the person on the tanoy cannot pronounce my name because it's French. Most times, everybody looks around to see who has that name. I find it very embarrassing sometimes! :/

ReputationRep:
    My name is as common as I am. It's pretty sweet though because no one ever spells it wrong or asks me annoying questions about myself.

ReputationRep:
    Rachel is a really common name so I have no problems using it online. I would never give out my surname on a website like TSR though because I want to keep some level of anonymity and my surname is so uncommon that you'd be able to search for me on Facebook and instantly know which one was me.

Everyone with my surname seems to be related to me in some way, and people are always spelling and pronouncing it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeMills77)
    I hate it when I'm sat in a reception area with other people and I'm called through, but the person on the tanoy cannot pronounce my name because it's French. Most times, everybody looks around to see who has that name. I find it very embarrassing sometimes! :/
    And then when someone asks if they've pronounced it right and you're just like

ReputationRep:
    I have a unique arabic name and not many people have it

Iqra. It means 'read/recite' in Arabic which is funny because I LOVE reading. It's also the first verse to be revealed in the Qur'an

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    My name is very uncommon and is my current username. But whenever I search my name on google, I see other women with the same name, but clearly they're not from England so I think I'm fine. Just privatise your profile on social networks.
    I always read your name as nutella lol

ReputationRep:
    I am literally the only person with my full name on the planet so I feel ya! As for identity online, I sometimes give my first name because it's just 'uncommon' and not one that would let someone stalk me but it depends on who will see it. I do use my real full name in the stuff that won't show publicly but I only use my first, just use initials or use a fake name if it does show.
    It does bother me that there are one or two internet results under my name that come up from when I was a kid though. Nothing 'bad' but it's just embarrassing or something I don't really want to be associated with my name. I guess employers will find it easy to stalk me though, idk if that's good or bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    I always read your name as nutella lol
    Yeah, everyone says that. It really pisses me off.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with my 'combination'. I've never met anyone with my first name anyway and I'm not on Google searches so... good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Type my name on Google and my Facebook and LinkedIn profiles are the top two results!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Yeah, everyone says that. It really pisses me off.
    Oh lol. Is the N silent?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying and I don't like it cause it sounds weird when people say it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Oh lol. Is the N silent?
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: After Googling myself I've found someone with my exact name on some random Russian website who's supposedly living in N. Ireland, is 64 and there's an address and phone number?! I'm ****ing confused because my surname is Berber i.e. N. African desert and my relatives (that I know of) live in Algeria, USA, France, Belgium and South Africa. Whut. Plus they only moved from the desert 50 years ago-ish so idk what's going on buuuuuuut I'm hella tempted to text the number (it's a +44 to top it all off) :P

ReputationRep:
    All this talk of googling your own name has inspired me to do it and it's a bit freaky, not because I am finding myself in the results but because I'm seeing profiles of SO many different people with my exact name... It's absolutely bizarre looking at a stranger's face with your own name underneath....
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeMills77)
    I've spent much time trying to find somebody with my first and second name and I'm sure in the history of life in the universe nobody has had my name combination. Ever.
    The name on my birth certificate is Natalie Jeanne Antonina Tourtois

I pretty much guarantee nobody else has that name. Though now my surname is different as I'm married.

So yep, know the feeling, though unlike you I don't actually care at all that I had (possibly still have, given that I have unusual middle names) a unique name.
    (And, like you, my surname was French... and nobody could pronounce it [no it's not pronounced tortoise]).

ReputationRep:
    Sophia - I like the fact it's different from the standard Sophie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    The name on my birth certificate is Natalie Jeanne Antonina Tourtois

I pretty much guarantee nobody else has that name. Though now my surname is different as I'm married.

So yep, know the feeling, though unlike you I don't actually care at all that I had (possibly still have, given that I have unusual middle names) a unique name.
    (And, like you, my surname was French... and nobody could pronounce it [no it's not pronounced tortoise]).
    Do you pronounce your name like 'Tourtois' unlike 'Toutois?', which sounds completely different

ReputationRep:
    My 1st name is a month but it is spelled quite differently, also I wasn't even born in that month =\ Stupid mum. I too have a French last name. I am always getting complemented about it but I sometimes think when I say it ppl- especially online on my soc media networks-sometimes think it's fake because it's so exotic. I also feel some ppl intentionally mess it up. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It sucks! Facebook says apparently that 'Staycee' Is not a name so I had to separate it to Stay Cee and now I get called 'Stay' oh the joys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.