Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=funkydee19;48618009]Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

And if you have just left year 11:

1) How was year 11 for you?

It was fun,I felt untouchable during the first month(i goto a boys school you see)...after that it got serious as I clocked after the next few months no gcses...

2) How many exams did you sit?

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

My adviceeriously start revising at the very latest in mid december-start of january you may think you don't need to but trust me the amount of work you'll have to do will consume you.Don't leave revision til the week before it isn't helpful unless ofc you work better that way.

Before exam time try to think positive-this is majorily important since a bunch of us(myself included) were making ourselves massievly depressed every single time we had geography or done a geography lesson

Have faith in yourself.

Take coursework seriously-alot of the people in my business studies and english class didn't and found themselves rushing to eradicate their bad grades(G,E,F,D)

Don't feel disheartened by mocks trust me use them as a tool to better yourself

Surround yourself around those people who work harder then you,that way your always on your toes

During the exam period DO NOT play consolse or computer games...it will become a habit if you keep up with it.At the bare maximum 1-2 hours.

Ask teachers for help and don't feel shame because be honest with yourself what's more important getting laughed at by friends for being "stupid" or doing the exam and coming across that question your teacher explained to you and going "YESUS".

Use youtube for revision purposes only particularly for english lit,geography,science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    No my teacher was an idiot so we did nothing in year 10, then he left halfway through year 11 so we had an assortment of (not business studies teachers) teachers trying to cover and we ended up doing this two year long course in three months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    exactly like me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    3. Ignore everyone else's advice about revision, some people need to revise loads but others don't. Do as much revision that you feel like you need - if you're like me I never bothered with revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Totally agree about revision. Theres no point in getting all worked up because youre not doing the 3 hours of work a night that your school suggests. Try not to compare how much work youre doing with other people because everyones different. Saying that, a bit of healthy competition is motivating.
    Other than that try to make friends with all your classmates and teachers, it will help getting up in the mornings and you will always have someone to ask for help when you get stuck. The more connections you have the more fun you have!

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't difficult, it's like year 10 only with more past papers and stuff

No point stressing about exams, do your best
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    exactly like me...
    Really?

(Original post by TherHig)
    Totally agree about revision. Theres no point in getting all worked up because youre not doing the 3 hours of work a night that your school suggests. Try not to compare how much work youre doing with other people because everyones different. Saying that, a bit of healthy competition is motivating.
    Other than that try to make friends with all your classmates and teachers, it will help getting up in the mornings and you will always have someone to ask for help when you get stuck. The more connections you have the more fun you have!
    Yeah, granted it gets boring when you are the go to guy for help in maths and physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is do not leave it all for last mistake! Very easy to do by the way. I regret not revising things as soon as I had learnt it. I know it's easy to say oh I will do it tomorrow but trust me it will build up and up and up.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tamcat)
    All I can say is do not leave it all for last mistake! Very easy to do by the way. I regret not revising things as soon as I had learnt it. I know it's easy to say oh I will do it tomorrow but trust me it will build up and up and up.
    I didn't do it at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yr10 here
    1) What GCSE's are you taking?
    I am taking English Lang, English Lit, Maths, Tripe Science, R.E., Spanish, Geography & History. I am also doing ECDL (European Computer Driving License) and next year I am doing an Add. Maths thing (my school is still organising it).

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
    I'm expecting it to be quite stressful in terms of time balancing because I will work really hard to make sure my coursework etc. is up to scratch, and I have things like extra-curricular activities to balance it out with. However, it shouldn't be terrible - it really depends on how much pressure my school puts on me to get good grades...

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?
    I am because I'm looking forward to the independence after Yr11. However, I'm not necessarily looking forward to staying after school for additional lessons (which our whole year has to do for English and Maths).

ReputationRep:
    Going from year 10 to 11:

1) What GCSES are you doing?

I've done spanish, astronomy and maths. Waiting on results. Still got 13 for next year:

Additional maths
    English lang and lit.
    Rs
    Philosophy and Ethics
    Italian
    French
    German
    Music
    History
    Triple science

It's definitely going to be tough. In my school lessons shall run from 7.30am to 5.00 pm which sucks. At the end of the torment though, I hope to emerge with at least 12 A*s.

3) Are you looking forward to year 11?

No.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished y11

Year 11 was probably the best year of secondary school so far, for me. I felt more settled than I had done so in year 10, much more comfortable with the teachers, expectations and the subjects...and I made so many friends throughout the course of year 11 which was lovely. January/February of this year were really rough for me but school, as stressful as mock exams were, was almost like a haven. I'm a very conscientious person anyway so I loved the new responsibilities and the challenging nature of the work given to us in year 11. The end was pretty stressful, but that's a given because we were sitting GCSEs...however I certainly didn't find it as difficult as I thought I would.

I sat my GCSE maths at the end of year 10, so in year 11 I did exams in English language & lit, further maths, biology, chemistry, French, history, art, R.E and home economics.

3) Advice

1) Just relax as much as you can. Take time out, immerse yourself in the social aspect of school...form as many friendships as you can, join new extra-curricular activities. It's lovely to have a break from the academic side of school. (especially if you go to pretty hardcore school like mine.) It's also handy to establish extra-curriculars for future university applications.

2) Be as organised as you can throughout the entire year. Don't throw out any of your notes from year 10 this summer, you'll need them. Take your mock exams as seriously as the real thing, and then when it comes to May/June you'll be both more relaxed and more prepared. When you go back in September, download the specifications for each subject you're sitting- they were God-sends. Past-papers are your friends...exam technique is a massively important part of GCSEs and if you get the knack of it you'll do brilliantly.

3) Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you're struggling academically, talk to your subject teacher. Teachers are wonderful people who want to help us, they don't want to see us fail. Year 11 is so important, don't mess it up because you're too scared to ask for help. If you're struggling emotionally, talk to anyone- teachers, friends, parents. Just because other people are finding it easy, doesn't mean you're weaker or less able than them.

4) Be prepared for the future, but don't panic about it. Year 11 is chockablock full of careers advice and talks about A Levels and colleges and further education. If you have a clear path for your future, that's brilliant. But don't tie yourself down- have a back up plan. If you're going down the A Level route, don't close off options- pick subjects you definitely need for your chosen path, but also pick contrasting subjects in case you change your mind. It's only been a year, but I'm a completely different person to who I was at the end of year 10, so bear that in mind.

5) Predicted GCSEs are not the gospel. I was predicted ridiculously high grades which I know now I won't achieve (and I'm okay with that now) but it was a major source of pressure and stress for me. It didn't make me want to revise or knuckle down any more, it just made me more worried.

ReputationRep:

It was a year where everything went up a notch. How much I cared about work, how much people wanted me to care about work and how much work I had to care about. I was in our school's first Year 11 group so plenty of stuff was tested on us, but in the end we kept the wheel going.

So many I lost count now. I did 11 subjects: Maths (2), English Literature (3) and Language (3), French (3), Triple Science (9), Religious Studies (2), History (3), Art (3 - the coursework has to be worth two more!), Music (3).

Try not to worry. Just think of doing you're best and you got it. Enjoy yourself where possible - if you can in class, then do.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _Emanuele_)

I've done spanish, astronomy and maths. Waiting on results. Still got 13 for next year:

Additional maths
    English lang and lit.
    Rs
    Philosophy and Ethics
    Italian
    French
    German
    Music
    History
    Triple science

It's definitely going to be tough. In my school lessons shall run from 7.30am to 5.00 pm which sucks. At the end of the torment though, I hope to emerge with at least 12 A*s.

No.
    7:30 till 5 Jesus Christ!! I would have ended up butchering a few people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The transition from Year 10 to Year 11 felt like nothing - it was just like normal in Year 10 except after a long break. The only difference was teachers pressurising you with the fact that you should know the content for certain units by now and that the exams are coming soon.

I enjoyed Year 11 overall, it was nice finishing subjects and the fact that you'll start new ones that you actually enjoy was a great relief. The main stress of Year 11 is the coursework, you'll find yourself doing coursework for 2/3 of the duration of Year 10 and 11 most probably. It's annoying, but ace it and you can feel a little less stressed when it comes down to the main exams.

28: 5 modular, 23 linear
    Maths Unit 2 - March 2012
    Maths Unit 1 - June 2012
    Maths Unit 3 - June 2013
    English Literature Paper 1 - January 2014
    English Literature Paper 2 - January 2014

Rest were linear

Ace the coursework
    Ace the content (go over everything)
    Write your revision notes up, colour things
    Revise from March/April, or before if you wish
    Don't stress yourself with the amount of exams
    Ask teachers if you have any questions

Good luck, and be glad, like us, that you haven't been messed around as much with this new system for the next Year 10s or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    It wasn't difficult, it's like year 10 only with more past papers and stuff

No point stressing about exams, do your best
    32!!?? Wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Emanuele_)

Additional maths
    English lang and lit.
    Rs
    Philosophy and Ethics
    Italian
    French
    German
    Music
    History
    Triple science

No.
    7:30???? That should deffo be illegal. And I thought 8:25-4:30 was long...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethaaaaany)
    I've just finished y11

Year 11 was probably the best year of secondary school so far, for me. I felt more settled than I had done so in year 10, much more comfortable with the teachers, expectations and the subjects...and I made so many friends throughout the course of year 11 which was lovely. January/February of this year were really rough for me but school, as stressful as mock exams were, was almost like a haven. I'm a very conscientious person anyway so I loved the new responsibilities and the challenging nature of the work given to us in year 11. The end was pretty stressful, but that's a given because we were sitting GCSEs...however I certainly didn't find it as difficult as I thought I would.

I sat my GCSE maths at the end of year 10, so in year 11 I did exams in English language & lit, further maths, biology, chemistry, French, history, art, R.E and home economics.

3) Advice

1) Just relax as much as you can. Take time out, immerse yourself in the social aspect of school...form as many friendships as you can, join new extra-curricular activities. It's lovely to have a break from the academic side of school. (especially if you go to pretty hardcore school like mine.) It's also handy to establish extra-curriculars for future university applications.

2) Be as organised as you can throughout the entire year. Don't throw out any of your notes from year 10 this summer, you'll need them. Take your mock exams as seriously as the real thing, and then when it comes to May/June you'll be both more relaxed and more prepared. When you go back in September, download the specifications for each subject you're sitting- they were God-sends. Past-papers are your friends...exam technique is a massively important part of GCSEs and if you get the knack of it you'll do brilliantly.

3) Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you're struggling academically, talk to your subject teacher. Teachers are wonderful people who want to help us, they don't want to see us fail. Year 11 is so important, don't mess it up because you're too scared to ask for help. If you're struggling emotionally, talk to anyone- teachers, friends, parents. Just because other people are finding it easy, doesn't mean you're weaker or less able than them.

4) Be prepared for the future, but don't panic about it. Year 11 is chockablock full of careers advice and talks about A Levels and colleges and further education. If you have a clear path for your future, that's brilliant. But don't tie yourself down- have a back up plan. If you're going down the A Level route, don't close off options- pick subjects you definitely need for your chosen path, but also pick contrasting subjects in case you change your mind. It's only been a year, but I'm a completely different person to who I was at the end of year 10, so bear that in mind.

5) Predicted GCSEs are not the gospel. I was predicted ridiculously high grades which I know now I won't achieve (and I'm okay with that now) but it was a major source of pressure and stress for me. It didn't make me want to revise or knuckle down any more, it just made me more worried.
    This is some great advice. Couldn't have worded it better myself. Thank you so much for your input, I hope all Year 10s read this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WriterOfWrongs)
    And if you have just left year 11:

Pretty chilled, got on with my work and it was all okay.

14 (15 including art)

Don't panic and be a complete stress head. If you're calm from the beginning then you can do your work with a clear mind so you have a good understanding when it comes to revision.

Past papers are your best friend.

Ask for help if you need it and take any extra help sessions.

Work out your perfect method of revision very early on - it avoids faffing about in May.

Don't be consumed by the pressure and just have fun!
    I basically second all of this! I sat 16 in total though because I did maths early and then further maths in June.. also don't do what some people are saying and only revise 1 day before the exam. it won't be enough time to cover the whole course, even generally, especially in science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1) How was Year 11 for you?
    Year 11 was a while ago for me (2010/2011) but I look back on it as one of my best years at secondary school. I felt like the teachers treated us with more respect than they did when we were lower down the school, people in general were nicer to each other and everyone was excited about prom and sixth form. I ended up with 9 A*s and 2 As, so was really happy with how my grades turned out as well.

I think there were 17 in summer? One of them was a practical (drama performance) and the rest were written.

3) What advice will you give to the upcoming Year 11s?
    Obviously work hard and make sure you get grades that you're happy with, BUT remember that GCSEs aren't the be all and end all. Most universities don't really care what grades you got at GCSE as long as you've got your 5 A*-C grades (including English and Maths), and that your predicted grades for A Levels are good. So don't get too worked up about your grades because there's plenty of time for that later.

I had a practical exam for drama, and so much of that involved working together as a team. If you are doing any practical exams as part of a group then think really carefully about who you're going to be in a group with- being stuck in a group with people who just want to mess around is an absolute nightmare if you want to get things done!

Things will be different after Year 11 and there might be some friends that you drift apart from, especially if you end up at different colleges. That doesn't mean any of you are doing anything wrong, it just happens. Make the most of the friends you have while you still get to see them every day. Don't spend so much time stressing about work that you never enjoy yourself.

Don't leave prom arrangements to the last minute. I saved 50% on my dress by getting it in the January sales. There'll be other schools in your area that have their prom on the same night as yours, so if you want to hire a limo or anything that might be difficult if you leave it too late.

Take lots of pictures and make leavers books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    32!!?? Wow
    Hehe yeah I took 12 GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Hehe yeah I took 12 GCSEs
    That seems quite a lot for 12. I took about 22? And I took 10 GCSE's. Acc coming to think of it it sorta makes sense now. Anyways all the best with your results

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.