Grammar jail? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    You got me, what now?

Grammar jail? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Whatever they want to be known by. A nickname. :dontknow:
    It's a bit disrespectful I think to have someone call you by a nickname, and to me if I know it's a nickname it really does make the whole interaction seem artificial, as if with a chat robot; you are locked out from investigating this person's true self.

Say you volunteer the information that your name really is Marian and you really do live in Nottinghamshire. Now how exactly do you envisage me pinning you down from that meagre information? And yet that is about as specific as you ever need to get when talking to a stranger online.

It's sad, I think, how as children we are taught to automatically fear making connections with strangers in case they harm us.

I think it's good to maintain the veneer of pseudonyms when talking in a public forum like we are now, but if we were to start making friends over PM, I would be a bit offended if you wouldn't share your name, age, maybe a rough idea of where you are from and a rough idea of what you look like. That's all more or less the sort of information you'd get non-verbally in a real-life encounter with a real person and that's why it makes people feel so much more comfortable to carry on a conversation.

(Original post by scrotgrot)
      It's a bit disrespectful I think to have someone call you by a nickname, and to me if I know it's a nickname it really does make the whole interaction seem artificial, as if with a chat robot; you are locked out from investigating this person's true self.

Say you volunteer the information that your name really is Marian and you really do live in Nottinghamshire. Now how exactly do you envisage me pinning you down from that meagre information? And yet that is about as specific as you ever need to get when talking to a stranger online.

It's sad, I think, how as children we are taught to automatically fear making connections with strangers in case they harm us.

I think it's good to maintain the veneer of pseudonyms when talking in a public forum like we are now, but if we were to start making friends over PM, I would be a bit offended if you wouldn't share your name, age, maybe a rough idea of where you are from and a rough idea of what you look like. That's all more or less the sort of information you'd get non-verbally in a real-life encounter with a real person and that's why it makes people feel so much more comfortable to carry on a conversation.
      Nahh, I've made lots of friends on here despite using a nickname

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
      I don't understand why people lie online like their name... Or not ell people their name or age... It's annoying when I try to make friends online and they don't tell me their name.... "Call me X."
      It's the net it can be as dangerous as it is good. Annonymity is the key unless you want to be stalked, bullied, raped and even murdered. It's happened. Don't be so gullible & naive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.