Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Academic Route? BSc, MPhil, PhD etc Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I want to get a PhD because my surname begins with D and then it would be alliteration . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Basically you start with a Bachelor of Science honours (BSc Hons) degree after school. This is 3 years in English universities and 4 years in Scottish. You'll finish with a certain classification, a first (like an A average), a 2:1 (B average), a 2:2 (C average) or a third (D average).

To be considered for a phd at any point you really need a first or 2:1. We were warned in final year that doing a masters will never cover the fact that you got a 2:2. It's possible to do a phd with a 2:2 BSc Hons but everything is made 10x more difficult. Competition with better people etc.

If it's possible to do an undergraduate masters (MSci) which is 4 years in England and 5 in Scotland then do that as it often provides a year in industry or research. If this fails then do a postgrad masters in research (MRes). DO NOT waste time with a postgrad MSc as the lab based component is tiny compared to that of MRes or undergrad MSci. The MSc are not really suited for those wanting a phd.

It's often possible to skip masters and go straight from BSc Hons to PhD, which is what me and most of my friends are doing. Or we're doing 4 year phd programmes which include a masters-like first year. This will save you a lot of money, obviously not having to fund a masters.

I'd also recommend slowing down a bit! You're attempting to enter a long road, entering academia is difficult and jobs are scarce. If you're planning to become a lecturer type professor at a university/research institute, not only do you need to complete a 3-4 year BSc, possibly a 1 year masters, and a 3.5 year phd, but you then need to complete usually a minimum of two post doctoral positions, which take around 3-4 years each. At this point you may start to see employment opportunities as a researcher/lecturer at a university. Or you may not.

At this point you're Dr. Whatever of Whatever university. The road lengthens when heading for professorship. A week ago the head of my course was awarded professorship after years of dedicated research and teaching, at age 53(?). He is now Prof. rather than Dr.

It's a long road that will most likely take up the rest of your life and career! I'm still reasonably near the beginning of it myself, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Basically you start with a Bachelor of Science honours (BSc Hons) degree after school. This is 3 years in English universities and 4 years in Scottish. You'll finish with a certain classification, a first (like an A average), a 2:1 (B average), a 2:2 (C average) or a third (D average).

To be considered for a phd at any point you really need a first or 2:1. We were warned in final year that doing a masters will never cover the fact that you got a 2:2. It's possible to do a phd with a 2:2 BSc Hons but everything is made 10x more difficult. Competition with better people etc.

If it's possible to do an undergraduate masters (MSci) which is 4 years in England and 5 in Scotland then do that as it often provides a year in industry or research. If this fails then do a postgrad masters in research (MRes). DO NOT waste time with a postgrad MSc as the lab based component is tiny compared to that of MRes or undergrad MSci. The MSc are not really suited for those wanting a phd.

It's often possible to skip masters and go straight from BSc Hons to PhD, which is what me and most of my friends are doing. Or we're doing 4 year phd programmes which include a masters-like first year. This will save you a lot of money, obviously not having to fund a masters.

I'd also recommend slowing down a bit! You're attempting to enter a long road, entering academia is difficult and jobs are scarce. If you're planning to become a lecturer type professor at a university/research institute, not only do you need to complete a 3-4 year BSc, possibly a 1 year masters, and a 3.5 year phd, but you then need to complete usually a minimum of two post doctoral positions, which take around 3-4 years each. At this point you may start to see employment opportunities as a researcher/lecturer at a university. Or you may not.

At this point you're Dr. Whatever of Whatever university. The road lengthens when heading for professorship. A week ago the head of my course was awarded professorship after years of dedicated research and teaching, at age 53(?). He is now Prof. rather than Dr.

It's a long road that will most likely take up the rest of your life and career! I'm still reasonably near the beginning of it myself, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you very much! And good luck yourself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.