Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for upcoming Year 10's and 11's Watch

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    Right okay so I can't offer you any course-specific advice as I was on OCR. However, for us, there were NO surprise questions. You devise a list of questions relevant to the course chosen topic and write answers to them and learn it. Then, in the exam, the teachers will ask you either the same questions or remodel the question and you will have to change the answer slightly to suit it.

As for listening, that just takes practise. It's very hard. I don't mean to put you off but it is! I got 37/40 on most of my practise papers and in the real thing... well, let's just say it was awful! I don't know my grade obviously but it was extremely hard. The top German student in my year is best friends with me and she found it atrocious and she gets A* in every piece of work, real GCSE and not.
    Literally don't worry, you have given me way too much help anyway!

Ah really? That's not too bad then. I think that when we get the task I'll write it asap then practise slowly to remember it more. I should have done that more this year but oh well. I can't change anything now.

Listening is horrific. I can't really tell what I'll get. 37/40 wow! You've done really well in your exams
    Yeesh, that means I'll have to practise and listen more to German things like music & films etc.

Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    Thanks, you cleared a lot up,
    Oh no I don't want to do Great Expectations(AQA). I hate that book.
    How ironic... You guys hate the book yet it's called 'Great Expectations' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    Seriously?
    Seriously!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)

How ironic... You guys hate the book yet it's called 'Great Expectations' :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So corny...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Seriously!
    No way!

ReputationRep:
    This is honest advice and the truth really.
    Don't give up your social life etc to do nothing but work for GCSE's because in truth they are not that hard (for most people) and they are merely a stepping stone to A-Level, and once you get into doing A-Levels they barely even matter any more.
    Have fun during your GCSE years, because once you get to A-Level, for people who take things seriously, all fun and most of your social life goes out the window.
    Yes GCSEs matter now in terms of getting into A-levels or other courses, but don't revolve your life around them. Go out with your friends and have fun. Do your homeworks when you need to and revise when you need to, not obsessively, and you will be perfectly fine.
    Don't go out buying every revision guide out there either, because the truth is, you probably wont need them as for the most part everything you need is taught or given to you in class.

ReputationRep:
    When should I start revising in year 11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadine_08)
    When should I start revising in year 11?
    Well. That depends on the courses you're studying and numerous other things.

Easter is the last chance period to start I'd say so any time before that, probably just a couple/few weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you.

We all had and need a social life. Just work hard at school and do what you're supposed to do and you'll be fine.
    I sailed through GCSE's simply by listening in class and doing homework and revising a day or two before the exam.
    For GCSE's you really don't need to be obsessively revising, you need to be out having fun and doing what you need to do before A-Level's hit you in the face like a ton of bricks

ReputationRep:
    did you seriously just delete my post full of advice, even though your thread is for advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    I sailed through GCSE's simply by listening in class and doing homework and revising a day or two before the exam.
    For GCSE's you really don't need to be obsessively revising, you need to be out having fun and doing what you need to do before A-Level's hit you in the face like a ton of bricks
    See, I do believe that that works for some as it did for my friend but it also doesn't for many. I'm giving my experience and I thought mocks were a good time to test that and I came out with D's in my strongest subjects then I prepared for tests and practise exams and got A's and A*'s so I really do have to disagree but I'm sure you're right for some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    did you seriously just delete my post full of advice, even though your thread is for advice?
    No? I didn't do that! I agree with you :confused:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    I think it was an accident. All the posts were deleted after a certain point! But thanks for the advice said before

Also, thanks mods! :hugs:

x
    Thank you again, I've left this on watch and I'll put it on the Year 10 thread! :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    Not to mention that I actually can't delete posts even though it's my thread... If you can I most certainly don't have a clue how.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was an accident. All the posts were deleted after a certain point! But thanks for the advice said before

Thank you again, I've left this on watch and I'll put it on the Year 10 thread! :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I got a report update and so they must have just deleted what they deemed to be irrelevant!

Thanks, I'm sure they'll find it very helpful! <3

ReputationRep:
    Well. That depends on the courses you're studying and numerous other things.

Easter is the last chance period to start I'd say so any time before that, probably just a couple/few weeks!
    I'm doing a lot of courses so I don't want to spend too much time revising for a subject and end up failing others, so do you have any tips on how to be organised?

ReputationRep:
    See, I do believe that that works for some as it did for my friend but it also doesn't for many. I'm giving my experience and I thought mocks were a good time to test that and I came out with D's in my strongest subjects then I prepared for tests and practise exams and got A's and A*'s so I really do have to disagree but I'm sure you're right for some.
    Yes it works for most, not all, some people need to work for specific subjects and what not but that doesn't mean they have to obsessively revise. There's options for extra support offered in schools etc, which means there's no need to be spending loads of time revising and not spending time doing anything else.

I have been through GCSE's and A-Levels

I was one of those people who took GCSE's too seriously, but now reflecting on it, I shouldn't have, because honestly, it's not worth it in the bigger picture.

You'll understand this once you start A-Level's.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention that I actually can't delete posts even though it's my thread... If you can I most certainly don't have a clue how.
    Hmmm, my first post seems to have disappeared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadine_08)
    I'm doing a lot of courses so I don't want to spend too much time revising for a subject and end up failing others, so do you have any tips on how to be organised?
    Organise your notes. I found flash cards to be the best thing, you're going over things and learning the information again and then writing it down. It's very good active revision. You're also condensing down the notes to what's relevant. I never found timetable's helpful at all but you might. I must also add that the Get Revising site is very useful for revision guidance and notes and to make a timetable.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only seeing this now after I replied to the last one, ohhright I see

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.