Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can anyone give any positives for dismantling the NHS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The NHS, Israel, religion and politics.

4 things people have such blinkered views on, and are mostly poorly educated on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I suppose it'd force all the chongers claiming benefits who don't pay anything into the system to put their hand in their pockets.
    You never know... it might prompt them to actually get jobs!
    Or, in my case for example, I'd be dead.

I couldn't work without my healthcare, and if I had to pay I couldn't get my healthcare without working. And then if I didn't die by natural causes from not being able to function at all because of the untreated anxiety and depression, the stomach ulcer probably would have got me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    The NHS, Israel, religion and politics.

4 things people have such blinkered views on, and are mostly poorly educated on.
    Just pick a side and join the rabble, damn it!

ReputationRep:
    lol at people talking about competition driving innovation to provide better quality health services.

There's something fundamentally wrong when you compare healthcare that saves peoples' lives to something that is created through competition like mobile phones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Well, someone on £26,500 gross wage pays £3300 income tax and £3180 national insurance. As the NHS makes up ~18% of all government spending, lets say we give that person an 18% tax cut (for the purposes of this, I'm ignoring all the many other taxes they'd be paying). They've now got £1178 to spend. Well BUPA charge £80.23 a month at their highest rate, including VAT at 20%, for a person to get health insurance. So they'd be left with £215 spare.
    But those premiums are with the free/already paid for NHS as a competitor. You would have to be either insane or a Tory to think they wouldn't increase dramatically.

You are also hopelessly naive if you think the government will cut taxes to the value of the saved expenditure. Seriously, what planet are you living on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    And you think private companies are going to reinvest every penny given to them?
    No but they wouldn't need to they just have to be more efficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    More efficient, while spending a smaller amount of money than that given to them? HAHAHAHAAHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Do you know what's really efficient? People dying quickly to free up beds. Restricting access to only the wealthy and raising premiums.

Applying efficiency arguments to human lives results in genocide. Period. We have already seen that at the DWP. This is not Godwin's law either, just because it's done by white people in a developed country and doesn't appear as a montage of child soldiers on Newsnight with a gruff voiceover doesn't mean it's not real genocide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    lol at people talking about competition driving innovation to provide better quality health services.

There's something fundamentally wrong when you compare healthcare that saves peoples' lives to something that is created through competition like mobile phones.
    Mobile phone companies don't get their money from the government

ReputationRep:
    Mobile phone companies don't get their money from the government
    Neither would a privatised NHS.

And if the NHS changes to a PFI then the government will be paying the lowest bidder, i.e. pay the cheapest and get the cheapest.

ReputationRep:
    Neither would a privatised NHS.

And if the NHS changes to a PFI then the government will be paying the lowest bidder, i.e. pay the cheapest and get the cheapest.
    No, they award contracts to bidders, usually someone the Tories know personally

ReputationRep:
    No, they award contracts to bidders, usually someone the Tories know personally
    Your political bias is blinding you from what I'm saying. We're in the same book, just on a different page.

ReputationRep:
    Your political bias is blinding you from what I'm saying. We're in the same book, just on a different page.
    I don't like labour ukip or the lib dems either. But that isn't how the government will do it

ReputationRep:
    Profit. There's a lot of money to be made from healthcare.

ReputationRep:

Yep. That and it doesn't matter if a large proportion of the population can't afford a state of the art iPhone. There is a massive ethical problem when a large proportion of the population can't afford treatment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    Why would anyone want to dismantle it?! Despite what the media says, the NHS is an essential part of life here in the UK. I can't imagine the scale of the uproar that would result from someone trying to privatise all healthcare in this country. It may not be a perfect model for how a healthcare service is run, and it's far from perfect, but it's definitely needed.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like labour ukip or the lib dems either. But that isn't how the government will do it
    Google what a PFI is.

ReputationRep:
    Google what a PFI is.
    Yes I know what a private finance init. is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Or, in my case for example, I'd be dead.

I couldn't work without my healthcare, and if I had to pay I couldn't get my healthcare without working. And then if I didn't die by natural causes from not being able to function at all because of the untreated anxiety and depression, the stomach ulcer probably would have got me.
    But you do work, though... I'm sure if it came to it like any other decent person you'd do away with some luxuries to pay for your own healthcare?

My gripe isn't with you or people in your situation, it's with folk who's attitude is the state owes them a certain standard of living without them lifting a finger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    But you do work, though... I'm sure if it came to it like any other decent person you'd do away with some luxuries to pay for your own healthcare?

My gripe isn't with you or people in your situation, it's with folk who's attitude is the state owes them a certain standard of living without them lifting a finger.
    I work now, but without the NHS I wouldn't be able to. I was sick before I was employed.

I think the state does 'owe' it to them to make them able to stay alive and be in a well enough state to be able to work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.