Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Cheryl Cole name change is not only horribly sexist, it’s also basically medieval' Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't expect (or really want) my hypothetical wife to take my name as it's pretty ****. If we had a kid, then I'd just say we pick the best of our two names for it. But if she strongly wants to use one or the other for her or the kid's name, then she can do what she likes (so long as her name isn't even worse than mine). I wouldn't accept a double barrelled name though

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to take your husbands surname you're not ready for the commitment. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I laughed when the article said wedding speeches are "misogynistic". I feel sorry for the best man!

ReputationRep:
    Did someone have a spare 5 minutes? There's no legitimate argument there, as far as I can see haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    This article just appeared on my newsfeed, and although it is the Mirror I was curious. After having read it I do not see the big deal particularly. Admittedly I am male so I am pretty likely to keep my surname. I can understand if one had a professional reputation and so wanted to keep their surname for that sense. But other than that I am a bit stumped as to the big deal. Am I being very thick or is this another battleground feminists have taken to? Discuss.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...e-not-3870588#
    I think a woman should be allowed to take the name just as she would be allowed to keep her own name. There are so many bigger issues regarding misogyny than who takes what name. I think we should address those instead of bombarding millions of women who choose to take their husbands name because they want to and labelling them as misogynistic or anti-feminist

ReputationRep:
    LOL!
    • Welcome Squad

I'm an advocate of choice.
    There's no must, there's a if x wants to x can do what she likes.

On the one hand, I understand it's tradition but a lot of traditions can be BS. And do stem from BS. Lets not pretend.

If a woman wants to change her name just because she's got married, go ahead.
    But for me, it's a sign of inequality.
    Not only does her surname therefore part of her identity change, but her title.

I mean wtf? What relevance does me being married have in everyday conversation. You can't tell if my husband is married, but you can tell I am through my title? What's the point.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me what women do, so long as they make an informed choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    PRSOM.

All your posts are godly. :adore:
    I do it all for you :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Tbh. Unless my husband has a real problem I would prefer him to take my name. So the kids thing wouldn't be an issue.
    But then your husband will have the problem you described in b) above.

ReputationRep:
    Haddaway Man ! Wor Cheryl is purely belta ; divvent worry about her sorname

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Ann Dairy)
    What's so extreme about her position? Is she threatening anyone's rights, freedoms or lives? She just talks about the patriarchal historical elements of marriage and how it is still upheld in some ways.

Extremists don't sit around writing women's blogs advocating for a bit of thought over an element of society, they call for action and advocate for things that actually harm people. So how about you tedious little anti feminist take several seats and learn what the simple word extremist means. :rolleyes:
    I'm not little, I'm probably taller than you

I didn't call her an extremist, I called her an extreme feminist who believe that 'traditions' like this are horribly sexist and will force the entire female population into extinction :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    I'm not little, I'm probably taller than you

I didn't call her an extremist, I called her an extreme feminist
    Well then feminists can't be very extreme, if this is all it bloody takes.:rolleyes:

who believe that 'traditions' like this are horribly sexist
    They do factually come from sexist notions. That's not an extremist belief it's a clearly documented part of history. Thinking about their usage today isn't extremist either.

and will force the entire female population into extinction :rolleyes:
    Where did she say that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Ann Dairy)
    Well then feminists can't be very extreme, if this is all it bloody takes.:rolleyes:

They do factually come from sexist notions. That's not an extremist belief it's a clearly documented part of history. Thinking about their usage today isn't extremist either.

Where did she say that?
    I guess not then such a shame

But she's saying women today do it because they feel it's their duty (sexist view) which is incorrect. Trying to link their usage today with historical usage to induce change is extreme.

Obviously she didn't say that but my point is that anyone can call out ridiculous claims, which is what I did.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.