Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oke186)
    Ahhkayy I see .... & that would be great thanks. So is wistow house an all girls house then ? And then there is an all boys house next door ? How is the social life ? And what is freshers week like ? Etcc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is room 5 I think on the ground floor but every other room is the same layout.
    So you can kind of see in the kitchen that's it's not that big but you can definitely fit quite a few people in there if you try

Wistow is an all girls house which I dreaded when I found out last year but you really don't notice it as you mix with the boys next door so often so it just feels liked a giant mixed house. It's kind of like the other houses anyway as they have a floor of boys and a floor of girls. Yep, all boys house is next door right next to your room. To let you in on a little secret, if the fire door is shut just push emergency release and it opens without sounding the alarm, we did that so often when they started shutting it that they stopped trying to shut it haha

The social life is amazing! I can't really compare it to other places as I haven't gone out clubbing to many other unis but compared to what my friends say, Leicester uni has a great social life. The main clubs that people go to are the O2 Academy (on wednesday and friday) and Club Republic (on Monday) but you should definitely check out Mosh on a Tuesday and Saturday too! You only need 40% to pass into second year so first year is definitely all about the partying

I really enjoyed freshers fortnight, and I did get a wristband but I don't think it's necessary. If you get one it just means less hassle about having to queue to get a ticket, but even then the queues go down quick. Pre-purchased tickets are four pound and five pound on the door. If you get to the O2 before 12 some drinks are a quid, after that two-fifty which is great value compared to some other places. Though I would suggest doing the majority of drinking at pre-drinks to save money (if you do drink).

Getting a wristband is only worth it, money-wise, if you go to the majority of events. But you'll find a lot of house parties going on during freshers too and there are always club reps walking around halls to sell tickets.

To all events there is a party bus every half hour from 10:00/10:30-12:30, but if not taxis are only 2 pound per person, and there are always taxis waiting to take people to the club and home again. You should probably start hearing about the freshers events in the next few weeks.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got info on the rooms in the Coppice? Haven't been able to find anything on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSBell)
    Sure! It's an identical layout to Wistow House but with one less room on the top floor (if you see my post to oke186 a little further up you'll see a description of the room and kitchen). What room are you in? Some of the rooms are a little smaller than the others because they are corner rooms which means the bathrooms are tiny too

It's about a 10 minute walk away from Asda, and if you walk a 5 more minutes you reach Weatherspoons which is the local pub that's not in Oadby village. Withcote and Wistow are surrounded by several other houses of the same kind, which is great as everyone just spills out during pre-drinks and you meet loads of people The bus stop is about a 2 minute walk away and the gym is about 5 minutes away. Don't know if this covered what you were after but I'm happy to answer any more questions you have about halls, social life etc
    Yeah I read what you said to oke186!!
    I am in room 15 on the 1st floor(any idea about the room)?
    Yeah I was pretty much looking for what you told me. i just wanted to know about the life there and stuff...but I think it will be similar to the girls in Wistow House. So I understood about the life there from your other posts.
    Yeah, Hopefully these 2 houses are like the most happening place and would love to meet some new people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj100)
    Am from london, What about you?
    I am From India... So u are in Shirley Lodge ...or SHirley HOuse ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anshul Agarwal)
    Yeah I read what you said to oke186!!
    I am in room 15 on the 1st floor(any idea about the room)?
    Yeah I was pretty much looking for what you told me. i just wanted to know about the life there and stuff...but I think it will be similar to the girls in Wistow House. So I understood about the life there from your other posts.
    Yeah, Hopefully these 2 houses are like the most happening place and would love to meet some new people
    Ah good!
    Room 15 is a nice room, it's one of the rooms that has two windows (bedroom and bathroom) which face towards bowder court and is also the closet room to the girls house. I don't remember my friend having any problems with it so you should be fine.

Tbh, and I'm not just saying this because I lived there, but compared to the surrounding houses it was the most sociable. The other houses didn't have the fire doors open so didn't really get to know each other whereas we did from the start. We always went to dinner and brunch together which served as a great way to get the gossip about the night before! Haha

But you'll be meeting new people ALL the time, I was still meeting friends way into the last semester.

ReputationRep:
    Ah good!
    Room 15 is a nice room, it's one of the rooms that has two windows (bedroom and bathroom) which face towards bowder court and is also the closet room to the girls house. I don't remember my friend having any problems with it so you should be fine.

Tbh, and I'm not just saying this because I lived there, but compared to the surrounding houses it was the most sociable. The other houses didn't have the fire doors open so didn't really get to know each other whereas we did from the start. We always went to dinner and brunch together which served as a great way to get the gossip about the night before! Haha

But you'll be meeting new people ALL the time, I was still meeting friends way into the last semester.
    Ohh Wow....Its a relief to hear that my room is nice and that its the closest to Wistow House
    I have heard from some students on Facebook that Withcote & Wistow Houses are the best and most sociable
    There are other houses like ours which connects through fire doors? :O
    We will always keep the door opened because more the people means more the fun

ReputationRep:
    Ohh Wow....Its a relief to hear that my room is nice and that its the closest to Wistow House
    I have heard from some students on Facebook that Withcote & Wistow Houses are the best and most sociable
    There are other houses like ours which connects through fire doors? :O
    We will always keep the door opened because more the people means more the fun
    GMS is the most sociable accommodation and Wistow/Withcote are surrounded by other houses so I guess it makes sense

Yep, there's Wistow and Withcote which connect. Skeffington, Somersby and Stapleford. And then Launde and Lowesby connect but we were the only house with our fire door open when we arrived for some reason.

Exactly! You meet so many more people that way

ReputationRep:
    This is room 5 I think on the ground floor but every other room is the same layout.
    So you can kind of see in the kitchen that's it's not that big but you can definitely fit quite a few people in there if you try

Wistow is an all girls house which I dreaded when I found out last year but you really don't notice it as you mix with the boys next door so often so it just feels liked a giant mixed house. It's kind of like the other houses anyway as they have a floor of boys and a floor of girls. Yep, all boys house is next door right next to your room. To let you in on a little secret, if the fire door is shut just push emergency release and it opens without sounding the alarm, we did that so often when they started shutting it that they stopped trying to shut it haha

The social life is amazing! I can't really compare it to other places as I haven't gone out clubbing to many other unis but compared to what my friends say, Leicester uni has a great social life. The main clubs that people go to are the O2 Academy (on wednesday and friday) and Club Republic (on Monday) but you should definitely check out Mosh on a Tuesday and Saturday too! You only need 40% to pass into second year so first year is definitely all about the partying

I really enjoyed freshers fortnight, and I did get a wristband but I don't think it's necessary. If you get one it just means less hassle about having to queue to get a ticket, but even then the queues go down quick. Pre-purchased tickets are four pound and five pound on the door. If you get to the O2 before 12 some drinks are a quid, after that two-fifty which is great value compared to some other places. Though I would suggest doing the majority of drinking at pre-drinks to save money (if you do drink).

Getting a wristband is only worth it, money-wise, if you go to the majority of events. But you'll find a lot of house parties going on during freshers too and there are always club reps walking around halls to sell tickets.

To all events there is a party bus every half hour from 10:00/10:30-12:30, but if not taxis are only 2 pound per person, and there are always taxis waiting to take people to the club and home again. You should probably start hearing about the freshers events in the next few weeks.
    Thank youuuu, you're like so amazing with all the info and everything. Really helpful 😊
    I don't know what else to ask. Is there anything else lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GMS is the most sociable accommodation and Wistow/Withcote are surrounded by other houses so I guess it makes sense

Yep, there's Wistow and Withcote which connect. Skeffington, Somersby and Stapleford. And then Launde and Lowesby connect but we were the only house with our fire door open when we arrived for some reason.

Exactly! You meet so many more people that way
    Yeah I am very happy to hear that it is the most sociable accommodation out of all.
    Ohh I didn't know so many houses were connected. lmfao
    Uhmm I had 2 more questions---
    Firstly, that what all kitchen appliances will be provided to us?
    Secondly, Do we get charged if we take the duvet provided by the university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oke186)
    Thank youuuu, you're like so amazing with all the info and everything. Really helpful ������
    I don't know what else to ask. Is there anything else lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem at all, more than happy to help I didn't really get much information before I moved in last year so I thought I'd give you a bit of a head start aha

Hm not that I can think of, though there specific times to eat for catered students. Breakfast is 7-9 (hot breakfast) 7-10 (other breakfast bits - cereal etc) dinner 5-7:30 weekdays and 5-6:30 weekends. On the weekend you don't get breakfast but brunch instead (12-1) which you really appreciate after a night out haha

You can get £5 meal cards for visiting friends too, and don't worry about restrictions on having people visit, they don't check at all.

Oh, nearly forgot. A cleaner cleans your room every two weeks and they also give you clean bed linen every two weeks but you don't have to take it if you're using your own. They also clean the kitchen twice every week. But just a word of warning, the cleaners weren't very nice and all they did was stood around gossiping and complaining about us

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am very happy to hear that it is the most sociable accommodation out of all.
    Ohh I didn't know so many houses were connected. lmfao
    Uhmm I had 2 more questions---
    Firstly, that what all kitchen appliances will be provided to us?
    Secondly, Do we get charged if we take the duvet provided by the university?
    Mm they don't really give much information on these houses at all so you really find out until you are there.

In the kitchen you get a kettle, microwave and a convection oven (you get an instruction manual with this and you can pretty much cook anything in it. A lot of £1 pizzas were cooked in there last year haha)

I can't really say I know the answer to it, I'm guessing you might as it is their property but I'm not sure, sorry .

ReputationRep:
    Mm they don't really give much information on these houses at all so you really find out until you are there.

In the kitchen you get a kettle, microwave and a convection oven (you get an instruction manual with this and you can pretty much cook anything in it. A lot of £1 pizzas were cooked in there last year haha)

I can't really say I know the answer to it, I'm guessing you might as it is their property but I'm not sure, sorry .
    Ohkk I can basically cook anything i want then.....hahaha pizzas are always the life saver!! I am really thankful to you for all this information. You are really good at this lol.
    Lastly, Do you have any pictures of houses from the outside or something or rooms and stuff? (I have seen the pictures that you posted before)!

ReputationRep:
    Ohkk I can basically cook anything i want then.....hahaha pizzas are always the life saver!! I am really thankful to you for all this information. You are really good at this lol.
    Lastly, Do you have any pictures of houses from the outside or something or rooms and stuff? (I have seen the pictures that you posted before)!
    Absolutely anything, some of the girls that I lived with used to cook the occasional pasta bake or nachos in it. No worries, and thanks I'm happy to help Sorry I don't really have many of the house itself but this picture was taken outside of it
    Wistow and Withcote are to the left of this photo, and Skeffington, Somerby and Stapleford to the right. ​Behind is Stamford Hall where you'll probably have an introduction thing once everyone is moved in.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely anything, some of the girls that I lived with used to cook the occasional pasta bake or nachos in it. No worries, and thanks I'm happy to help Sorry I don't really have many of the house itself but this picture was taken outside of it
    Wistow and Withcote are to the left of this photo, and Skeffington, Somerby and Stapleford to the right. ​Behind is Stamford Hall where you'll probably have an introduction thing once everyone is moved in.
    Ohhkk Thanx a lot...any pics would have helped
    No more questions for now....If i do have any in future...I will get back to u :P
    Thanx a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Av27)
    I am From India... So u are in Shirley Lodge ...or SHirley HOuse ??
    Am in shirley lodge, are they two different places? I assumed that it was the same place just different names

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj100)
    Am in shirley lodge, are they two different places? I assumed that it was the same place just different names
    Noo they are different ..shirley lodge has 5 odd rooms.. but is very near to the house.!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Av27)
    Noo they are different ..shirley lodge has 5 odd rooms.. but is very near to the house.!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ohh right thank you, i've been checking the accommodation website to see if they have any info about shirley lodge but there's nothing. Do you happen to know anything about the living arrangements and what it's like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj100)
    ohh right thank you, i've been checking the accommodation website to see if they have any info about shirley lodge but there's nothing. Do you happen to know anything about the living arrangements and what it's like?
    Sorry ..i dnt think i know more than what u already know...because ..even i thought lodge n house were the same..until an old student ..told me they were different..

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.