Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    No plan currently for the near future

thank god.
    GP it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andbegin)
    They are trying to lengthen everything it seems. Graduate medical and dental schools are turning into 5 year, even for medic/dental graduates making max fax surgery even more unappealing, lengthening foundation dentistry training to 2 years rather than 1. Seems a little strange when we're constantly told the NHS don't have enough funds.
    This saves money. If you can call someone 4 years post MBBS a trainee rather than a fully qualified GP you save money..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    This saves money. If you can call someone 4 years post MBBS a trainee rather than a fully qualified GP you save money..
    Very good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    I suspect that in the future they will tailor medical school admissions more towards people wanting to do general practice. I suspect the growth of graduate entry medicine may have made general practice a less popular option with graduate entrants maybe wanting to do more academic specialities.
    We need more GPs and A&E doctors, recruiting large numbers of wannabe brain surgeons makes no sense.
    You use far more of your medical degree and training as a GP than in many other specialities so if many entrants have no interest in general practice I'd wonder about their interest in medicine as a whole.
    Why do you suspect this? I would think GP training would be an even more attractive option to graduate entrants given the shorter training period allows them to reach the "end" quicker?

ReputationRep:
    When I qualified in the 80s there wasn't a graduate entry option and general practice was hard to get into. This was before the European working directive on junior doctors hours though so hospital docs often worked 1 in 2 or 3 (ie 8-6 Mon to Fri plus 1 in 2 or 3 evenings and nights and weekends). I get the feeling that many graduate entry docs having done a degree before medicine are more interested in an academic hospital medical career than working in the community.
    I get the feeling from TSR that students who desperately want to "be a doctor" and try again and again to get in don't visualise GPs when they visualise their idealised doctor job. It's all about saving lives and being a hero, not dealing with chronic disease and helping people adapt to the fact that we're all going to die. (sounding a bit Private Fraser! Where was he in yesterday's opening ceremony?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    When I qualified in the 80s there wasn't a graduate entry option and general practice was hard to get into. This was before the European working directive on junior doctors hours though so hospital docs often worked 1 in 2 or 3 (ie 8-6 Mon to Fri plus 1 in 2 or 3 evenings and nights and weekends). I get the feeling that many graduate entry docs having done a degree before medicine are more interested in an academic hospital medical career than working in the community.
    I get the feeling from TSR that students who desperately want to "be a doctor" and try again and again to get in don't visualise GPs when they visualise their idealised doctor job. It's all about saving lives and being a hero, not dealing with chronic disease and helping people adapt to the fact that we're all going to die. (sounding a bit Private Fraser! Where was he in yesterday's opening ceremony?)
    I think we all visualise in the beginning that being a doctor is about saving lives At the last gp conference, the head of health education England suggested that Medical school admissions should be adapted to recruit applicants with gp qualities, plus I suppose priorities change as people go through med school... Some of my colleagues initially wanted to be surgeons and now think being a gp is what they envision themselves doing in the future. I don't know how this pans but I suppose we shall see.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.