Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Study shows 50% of women would lie about the paternity of their child... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Financial manipulation surely has to be as a direct result of not being promoted or paid as much as men though? Surely if this was more equal then women wouldn't have the need to manipulate men for cash and could pay for childcare etc. Slightly off-point but it does annoy me when people moan about men paying childcare when it's harder for a woman to get properly promoted and compensated in a job often because they have a child or even might have one. Do you want these kids to have a completely **** life in poverty or something?

Anyone who lies about contraception, paternity of the child etc is obviously scum though.
    If women are paid 20% less for the exact same job and efficiency in it why do any businesses even bother hiring men? Seriously, this has been done to death here and everywhere else. The ''pay gap'' is due to choices men and women make.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gend...complete-myth/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin...qual-pay-myth/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christ...b_2073804.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    My point is that we can consolidate the diversity to see what the actual tangible effects of the modern day movements are as a whole. So far, it seems to be dominantly focused on getting more women into positions of power e.g. CEOs and MPs, and not even by the route of challenging the idea that women cannot attain these positions, but rather by brute affirmative action and quotas - as well as stuff like this paternity testing law. In fact, they have been singularly ineffective at getting women into so called 'areas of concern', such as STEM - since the 80s, the % of women in most STEM subjects has actually declined. Clearly when the movement(s) try to take the softer approach of encouragement and challenging gender role, they fail, and hence they move on to female-specific monetary awards, quotas, and all the other stuff any true egalitarian would quail at.

It is only the fact that the net impact of all those feminist groups has crossed over from egalitarianism into using any method whatsoever to get women 'represented' that has made me less and less inclined to describe myself as a feminist these days. The net impact of the movement is antithetical to my values and sense of fairness.
    I can see what you mean, and this is indeed one of the reasons I don't consider myself a feminist (the other being that I don't actively engage with feminist campaigning). I don't think the methods most feminist groups use are effective, and are often unjustified. However, I wouldn't be so quick to simply discount them and distance myself from them. If they are doing damage to the cause of gender equality, then I'd rather try to work with them to improve their methods rather than opposing them. Anyone who wanted to do something to improve gender equality would be foolish to turn down the resources and support of feminist groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    I can see what you mean, and this is indeed one of the reasons I don't consider myself a feminist (the other being that I don't actively engage with feminist campaigning). I don't think the methods most feminist groups use are effective, and are often unjustified. However, I wouldn't be so quick to simply discount them and distance myself from them. If they are doing damage to the cause of gender equality, then I'd rather try to work with them to improve their methods rather than opposing them. Anyone who wanted to do something to improve gender equality would be foolish to turn down the resources and support of feminist groups.
    I'd be happy to work with them on improving their methods, but this requires a fundamental acceptance of the theory that men and women might just not end up being perfectly equally represented in every area of society, or equal on every metric, in a totally unbiased, non-patriarchal/matriarchal society.

Unfortunately, this suggestion - scientifically validated, even - tends to go down about as well as a lead balloon, at least online. There's no room for constructive discourse with such a fundamental disagreement. I may try it out in a real life feminist group in a couple of months and see how that goes, though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy to work with them on improving their methods, but this requires a fundamental acceptance of the theory that men and women might just not end up being perfectly equally represented in every area of society, or equal on every metric, in a totally unbiased, non-patriarchal/matriarchal society.

Unfortunately, this suggestion - scientifically validated, even - tends to go down about as well as a lead balloon, at least online. There's no room for constructive discourse with such a fundamental disagreement. I may try it out in a real life feminist group in a couple of months and see how that goes, though.
    I imagine that's because feminists want to make a strong statement. Lots of people use this argument to say that we have no further to go, that equality has reached it's natural limit. I suspect feminists are loathe to accept that there might be a limit for fear of people claiming that we ave already reached that limit.

ReputationRep:
    Men, you do know you have the option to WALK AWAY if she doesn't want to use a condom? WAY too many men are lax about this, and frankly, if you can't be bothered to use one with a woman you barely know you should take the consequences of that.

However, I do agree it is vile that women do this, but it's generally pretty obvious the types who do it as well, I have known several women to have done all of those things you state - however, they're extremely uneducated and visibly unstable women. I also think paternity tests should be mandatory as well - if the woman refuses even one time, they should not receive any child support until they consent.

Also, OP, please do not lump all women into this by saying you can't "trust" any of us - I wouldn't base my whole trust in men on the few ****ty things guys have done to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    I imagine that's because feminists want to make a strong statement. Lots of people use this argument to say that we have no further to go, that equality has reached it's natural limit. I suspect feminists are loathe to accept that there might be a limit for fear of people claiming that we ave already reached that limit.
    It's a natural fear to have if you have a partisan mindset, sure.

A study was done showing that CVs with identical qualifications but a female name were rated lower than CVs with identical qualifications but a male name for postgrad scientific positions, by both male and female assessors. That clearly shows that there is room to go in achieving gender equality, at least in this area (pending independent repeats of the study for confirmation). Studies of this sort, I hope, will eventually 'join up' with our ever greater knowledge of human genetics - to the point where we may be able to start putting some error bounds on what a non-biased sex ratio in different areas should look like, and where we can run innovative checks as in the study above to determine whether the playing field is a truly unbiased meritocracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Nope, but any similar law in any country that would be half as discriminating against women would receive huge international cover and make the social media blow up.
    Hence why martial rape was still legal in the 90's. :rolleyes:
    Hence why women is Saudi Arabia are still not able to vote until 2015.
    Hence why there's so many tsr threads on this: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...violence-women:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Do you then not feel that, if we are going by actual real world impacts (rather than touted egalitarian ideology) of modern day feminist activist groups (and as distinct from feminist groups of the past), that it is difficult for any egalitarian minded person to associate themselves with them?

And yes, I understand that modern day feminist groups fall on a spectrum and are highly diverse - but actions speak louder than words.
    How did we go from the French government doing something to feminists doing something? :rolleyes:

Can you cite feminist groups supporting this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    An important political goal for feminist pressure groups at the minute is to make paternity testing illegal.
    Name one.

ReputationRep:
    men are still right to be cautious because once we've ejaculated we have absolutely no reproductive rights beyond what the mother deigns to listen to us on.
    Correct you don't have right to dictate what another human being does with their body.

They can even pierce condoms or turkey baste the semen out of them and conceive that way and still you will be liable for the child support, and doubtless not allowed much contact with your children when they appear.
    Get a grip with this lunatic far fetched anti woman drivel please.

ReputationRep:
    Vile, disgusting creatures. Child support should be optional and paternity tests mandatory right after birth.
    Why should support of a child you made be optional for anyone? Who's going to support the child? :confused:

Mandatory paternity tests right after birth? You know the dna stays the same right?:rolleyes: And what about a couple who actually trusts each other, why would they need that?

ReputationRep:
    They've already managed to do it in France,
    That was the french government, how was it feminists?

a man can only get one with the approval of his wife and a special court order.
    It says "Any paternity testing without a court order is banned," so if a woman wanted to find out who the father was she couldn't either and a man could deny ever knowing her.

Feminists denying biology, tale as old as time
    So name one biological fact I deny.
    Also, you don't get to act like this is feminist without showing any evidence. :rolleyes: You go from the French government to feminists, with zero reasoning.

Sometimes I wonder who hates science more, christians or feminists?
    Right because feminists are so against science being taught in schools.:rolleyes:
    What science has the majority of feminists denied? Plenty of people dispute evo psych.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Financial manipulation surely has to be as a direct result of not being promoted or paid as much as men though? Surely if this was more equal then women wouldn't have the need to manipulate men for cash and could pay for childcare etc. Slightly off-point but it does annoy me when people moan about men paying childcare when it's harder for a woman to get properly promoted and compensated in a job often because they have a child or even might have one. Do you want these kids to have a completely **** life in poverty or something?

Anyone who lies about contraception, paternity of the child etc is obviously scum though.
    You can't be serious. Women must always be the victims, mustn't they?

They may be scum, but so are bankers, it doesn't mean they aren't winning and getting off scot-free. Scum should be skimmed off periodically and put down the sink in accordance with equitable legal process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Ann Dairy)
    Correct you don't have right to dictate what another human being does with their body.
    And another person doesn't have the right to dictate unilaterally what happens to my child.

Get a grip with this lunatic far fetched anti woman drivel please.
    Agree it never happens, but if it does, exactly where is the recourse for the man?

ReputationRep:
    And another person doesn't have the right to dictate unilaterally what happens to my child.
    Given it has to be carried to term in their body for the duration of that time they have autonomy, not you. Learn biology boo.

Agree it never happens, but if it does, exactly where is the recourse for the man?
    If a woman steals sperm? Where's the recourse if a man pierces his own condom? If both result in pregnancy obviously it's the woman's choice, because, again, simple biology. What are you not understanding?

ReputationRep:
    Given it has to be carried to term in their body for the duration of that time they have autonomy, not you. Learn biology boo.
    And because of that, men deserve no reproductive rights whatsoever? How about the baby itself?

If a woman steals sperm? Where's the recourse if a man pierces his own condom? If both result in pregnancy obviously it's the woman's choice, because, again, simple biology. What are you not understanding?
    The recourse is abortion, a decision over which women have absolute control.

If you meant where's the recourse for men, that question makes no sense: the man sabotaged his own contraceptive. Recourse does not mean "going back on a decision that you have made previously".

ReputationRep:
    If it was men who carried the child, feminists would be screaming from the rooftops about how unfair it was that they had no say in the decisions whether to keep it or not etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    If it was men who carried the child, feminists would be screaming from the rooftops about how unfair it was that they had no say in the decisions whether to keep it or not etc.
    And you can provide any proof of this how exactly? What a dumb post.
    In an alternative reality where men carried the baby the rules would be applied exactly the same given our believes of autonomy. Genius. Oh but wait those beliefs are just a conspiracy we're all pretending to have so we can get female supremacy, right? :rolleyes: God you're so boring.

ReputationRep:
    And because of that, men deserve no reproductive rights whatsoever? How about the baby itself?
    Reproductive rights such as? The only thing I've seen your camp of crazies ever suggest is for the father to completely be able to disown the child and have no financial commitment to them. Those aren't reproductive rights, you've reproduced, that parts done, genius. :rolleyes:

The baby itself? Such as? They are protection against late term abortions.

The recourse is abortion, a decision over which women have absolute control.
    And you should have any control over another persons body why exactly?
    Not to mention abortion isn't an option for every woman and her beliefs.

If you meant where's the recourse for men, that question makes no sense: the man sabotaged his own contraceptive. Recourse does not mean "going back on a decision that you have made previously".
    I was clearly talking about the recourse for a woman in that scenario, at least try to keep up. Where's the recourse for a pro life woman who's partner pierces his own condoms, huh? HUH!? Why are your cries about that? :rolleyes:

14% of surveyed young mothers reported undergoing birth control sabotage.[9] A separate study found that 66% of teen mothers on public assistance who had recently experienced intimate partner violence disclosed birth control sabotage by a dating partner. When women did try to negotiate condom use with their abusive partners, 32% said they were verbally threatened, 21% reported physical abuse, and 14% said their partners threatened abandonment.[10]
    Gender and sexual power dynamics and coercion associated with sexual power dynamics are both linked to condom nonuse.[11] Studies also link condom nonuse to patriarchal attitudes and intimate partner violence.[12] Even women with high STI knowledge are more likely to use condoms inconsistently than women with low STI knowledge when there is a high level of fear for abuse.[10]
    The most common forms of birth control sabotage are when the partner refused to wear a condom and when the partner ejaculated before withdrawal, although it was the agreed-upon contraceptive method.[13]
    In Canada, a man was convicted of sexual assault for poking holes in his girlfriend's condoms. She expressed that she did not want to become pregnant, and when she did, he confessed to the birth control sabotage.[14]

You're tired, you're whole men are oppressed feminazi's are coming routine, is beyond boring now. Just take several seats and get a life dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    A survey shows 50% of female readers of the Life magazine would lie about the paternity of their child and a further 42% would lie about contraception in order to get pregnant, no matter the wishes of their partner. 65% of single women within the 5000 readers surveyed said they would not tell a partner about a sexual disease.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/96-o...onest-1-565123

Always wrap it up, fellas, you have everything to lose trusting a woman.
    Just thought Id make it less misleading.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.