Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women, married to men, take their husbands last name? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    I'll take my wife's name, and in return she can have my balls :rolleyes:
    Lololol. Made my day. Anyway I think it's up to a couple. I knew some guys who even wanted to opt for their lady's last name because they weren't happy about theirs

ReputationRep:
    it should be a choice. most take on the husband's name as tradition. i want to keep my surname though

ReputationRep:
    Should be a choice. I took my husband's name because it was easier to spell and pronounce. Sometimes I wish I use both names though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Marriage certificates in Eng&Wal only contain the fathers' name and job, the mum isn't even mentioned. Strong patriarchy.
    Well it's the father's birthname, which was also given to his daughter, and his daughter is about to get given someone else's birthname. What exactly is the problem here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Well it's the father's birthname, which was also given to his daughter, and his daughter is about to get given someone else's birthname. What exactly is the problem here?
    I don 't have a problem with it but a bunch of feminists are trying to get the mum's name on there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    I think they should be because when men marry women, they cease to be the property of their father and become the property of their new husband and the wife must be labelled as such.
    It's 2014 women haven't been viewed as being property of men for a long time.

I think it's personal choice myself. I probably would take my husbands surname when/if I get married, not really thought much about it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Don't care. Any future wife of mine can do what she likes regarding her last name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    I don 't have a problem with it but a bunch of feminists are trying to get the mum's name on there too.
    It's interesting that they ignore all the reasons we do things in marriage but still seem attached enough to the institution to want to change things. This doesn't sound much like common sense at all.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Don't care. Any future wife of mine can do what she likes regarding her last name.
    Wouldn't you feel a little emasculated if she chose for both of you to have last name? (because of 'tradition')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Wouldn't you feel a little emasculated if she chose for both of you to have last name? (because of 'tradition')

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean we both had her family's last name?

ReputationRep:
    Surnames are a product of patriarchal family traditions. I say we vote to ban surnames altogether! End this tyranny! My suggestion is that we just have numbers rather than names. That way we will be equal.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably keep my own name. At a push I might double barrel it. Just seems like a lot of effort to change it though.
    I've had my name for 21 years...why should I change it?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You mean we both had her family's last name?
    Yes, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Yes, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said she can do what she likes with her name. Mine is staying just how it is.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I said she can do what she likes with her name. Mine is staying just how it is.
    Yeah I know but won't that look strange if you have two different surnames. If that's even possible? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I say let people do what they want, but I think it's nice when a couple has the same name because it symbolises that they're family

ReputationRep:
    No, it should be a choice. I'm not sure whether I'd want to change my name if I got married, but I'd be sad to lose mine as it's quite unusual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should be their choice, same if men want to take their wifes last name. I think I'd choose whichever last name I liked better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Surnames are a product of patriarchal family traditions. I say we vote to ban surnames altogether! End this tyranny! My suggestion is that we just have numbers rather than names. That way we will be equal.
    We should go one step further and just have massive bar codes tattooed onto our forheads, that's probably where we're going to end up anyway

ReputationRep:
    They should (and do) have the choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.