Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Steven Gerrard retires from England duty Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Other than captain and Roy's favoured formation at this point in time (no other England player can play the deep role, assuming Carrick isn't fit any time soon and Roy doesn't pick him or Barry).

:rolleyes:

I meant to say England will not magically improve with his departure:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Good riddance Stevie.

Stick to punching DJ's and kissing TV cameras. It's what you do best.

ReputationRep:
    He's certainly a Liverpool legend... just hasn't done much for country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdoovde1)
    Good riddance Stevie.

Stick to punching DJ's and kissing TV cameras. It's what you do best.
    And slipping when you can't afford to:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    **** you all
    This. Steven Gerrard has been a quality player for country, yes he has made a few mistakes but his charisma, skill, leadership and general positive attitude overshadows his few mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amphiprion)
    Trouble is, when ever he has been arguably England's best player, he's rarely had much competition for that title. His best performances for England have never quite been on par with the worlds best in his position across any of the midfield roles he's filled. At no tournament he's participated in wearing an England jersey could you compare him to other great CMs and say he was the best. He's definitely been up there with the worlds best for his position at times with Liverpool but very rarely for England.

My choice for capitain would be Joe Hart given his maturity in handling his first team absence for City for a period of time, his usually conspicuous passion for winning and regular displays of sportsmanship and respect for the opposition (I'm a Utd fan so I'm not just brown nosing). Being between the sticks makes outfield management difficult but how often do you ever really see a captain getting stuck in and shouting directions these days (other than *****ing at the referee about set pieces), sometimes but not very often. A captains role in the dressing room, before the game, half time and after can be the most important at times.

You won't be surprised to know I disagree about Henderson. Captaining a bunch of teenagers, even at youth tournaments, is pretty different to captaining people like Wayne Rooney, Joe Hart, Theo Walcott (and the mighty Tom Cleverley!) etc at tournaments watched by up to billions of people. I don't watch him play every game but I only ever remember seeing him put in 1 outstanding performance (for Liverpool) and I do remember seeing him flounder under pressure on a number of ocasions.

I agree Rooney and Sturridge do not play well, Sturridge is best suited to a selfless, intelligent player exactly like Suarez who was just so damn determined to win he didn't mind putting a goal on a plate for Danny rather than take a 50/50 punt from a lesser position. Wayne Rooney isn't really about that, he's more about, well not an awful lot these days really. Spraying the ball from one side of the pitch to another to ineffective wingers from central midfield seems to be what he's best at these days. The man is also a mercenary with little respect for club, country, fans or anything that's not his immediate family really.

I think Wilshere would be a really poor choice to be honest. Seems to get very easily demotivated on the pitch and has had plenty of issues with discipline in the past, most recently the second incident of him being caught smoking, after having been already been warned about it by Wenger previously.
    True, but who was the last England player who you could say had a top tournament? Rooney? Owen? Beckham? England have been poor, especially in recent years, so it's still impressive that Gerrard's been the best player. And on the subject of Suárez, I wouldn't say he is a selfless player, as the friction between him and Sturridge at times was a talking point, although admittedly he is less selfish than Sturridge.

(Original post by Unsworth)
    Replace Lallana with the Ox, him and Sterling on either wing would be frightening. Also, I'm not convinced by Jones at centre back at all. No idea who would go there, but I think we will see someone else emerge, rather than Jones. Not convinced by Henderson/Wilshire in the middle either, both are still young of course, but they don't compare to any of the other class midfielders we have had in the past.

Everyone seems to have forgot about Townsend too. He was brilliant earlier on this year until his injury - before christmas he would have been in everyones future squad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I forgot about Ox and Townsend to be honest, otherwise they would probably make the team (or at least the squad). I also hope another centre back emerges for England in the future, perhaps Caulker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastin8R)
    And on the subject of Suárez, I wouldn't say he is a selfless player, as the friction between him and Sturridge at times was a talking point, although admittedly he is less selfish than Sturridge.
    Fair point, probably better to say CAPABLE of being selfless. I had Suarez in my fantasy team as captain as Im sure many, many people did, was painful to watch Liverpool and see him square it for a Sturridge tap in when my housemate had him as captain instead. fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastin8R)
    I forgot about Ox and Townsend to be honest, otherwise they would probably make the team (or at least the squad). I also hope another centre back emerges for England in the future, perhaps Caulker?
    Perhaps Caulker, but again I'm unsure. I think the only players we currently have in the English system that even have the potential to be world class in the future are Sterling, Shaw and Barkley. I don't see any others that are close to having the potential that these three have, which is a huge issue.

Think of our squad 10/15 years ago, it had far greater potential than our current squad. The likes of a young Scholes, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Owen, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville, etc. Our current squad doesn't compare at all. I can't see any great promise coming through in the next 2-4 years aside from the odd players, 2020/2022 will hopefully see some great talent finally emerge, thus giving us a solid team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Typical arrogance from the English who expect players to be class for them yet when they do poorly stab them in the back. Why should you expect any loyalty whatsoever from these players when you have this attitude? No wonder its rumoured loads of English players turn down the opportunity to play for their nation with fans like you about.

Wales might be poor at international level but at least I can respect every time a player puts on a shirt they're doing so proudly trying to do their best. Oh good gosh they didn't win every game, big deal. They were under no obligation to show up in the first place - they made that commitment. You think these players need to do it when they're earning millions at club level? You're deluded and get everything you deserve for your overwhelming sense of expectancy.

One day English fans will climb down out of their own arrogant ********s and realise they're not owed wins or consistent world class performances.

From what I saw of Gerrard he always give his all for England and yes he did make mistakes for club and country - bloody hell he's a human being - shame on him for being one.

ReputationRep:
    I thought he has been appalling for England, and a bad captain.

Good player, who peaked in 2006, but has not done it consistently with England ever.

Doubt he will be missed. Compare Gerrard to Lahm who also retired this week. LOL, man against boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I thought he has been appalling for England, and a bad captain.

Good player, who peaked in 2006, but has not done it consistently with England ever.

Doubt he will be missed. Compare Gerrard to Lahm who also retired this week. LOL, man against boy.
    das not it mane

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 25, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.