Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who will be the biggest flop of the transfer window? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    I think CM is the hardest position to adapt to in a new league, the dynamics of the league are so different there.
    Hmm I'm not too sure about that. Depends on the players style but majority of CM signings from other leagues work very well.

Essien, Tiago, Ballack, Matic for Chelsea.
    Fernandinho, Yaya Toure for City.
    Alonso for Liverpool
    Arteta for Everton/Arsenal
    Fabregas, Flamini for Arsenal.

I reckon that the league style isn't as much as a problem as the playing style of the team. I think league tempo and style of play is overstated personally. You put Chelsea in Atlético's league and Atlético's in Chelsea's shoes and you wouldn't see too much difference performance wise and in player performances, bar the pace in the counter attacks.

ReputationRep:
    Shaw is obviously a signing designed for a decade, anyone with sense will reserve judgement for at least a season or two.

Lallana for me - huge money for a player of his calibre, much as I respect his talents.

No PL striker is a flop at four million pounds, as no club signs a first-choice striker for that amount.

Costa has the potential but because of his name and his club anything less than thirty goals will yield cries of 'flop'. I'd be happy with twenty to twenty-five.

Herrera should be fine.

Sanchez will do well in England, I believe.

So yeah, Lallana.

ReputationRep:
    People saying Lambert just lol. As KingMessi said no matter how **** he does he wont be the biggest flop for that price... :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john0101)
    Sanchez, lallana, markovic, can, Costa, Fernando, Herrera, shaw?

Or anyone else I missed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Markovic

Fabregas

ReputationRep:
    I can see Costa, Herrera, and Lallana all not working out.

ReputationRep:
    Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa will battle it out for biggest flop, although Costa actually has a reputation these days so he has more to lose. Interested to see how badly Jose does with them tbh.

Lallana and whoever Spurs sign wont be far off.

ReputationRep:
    Shaw and probably Costa, since I am always the pessimist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Even if we kept Lambert on our bench for 2 years, it's hard to argue that buying an experienced striker for so little money (especially in today's market) amounts to being a flop. You can't even buy a lot of 16-18 year olds these days for that kind of money.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I said, in the role he has he's only going to be a bit part player anyway. The point being, I'm not convinced he's going to be able to transfer his S'ton form over to Liverpool when asked. Which is my definition of a flop, its about performance. People tally performance to money yes, but its not always the case. You got Sahin for free on loan, he was still a flop.

I do think more teams will press Man Utd than did under SAF which puts more pressure on the defence. Teams were beaten before they stepped onto the pitch against Man Utd under SAF. LVG may bring that back over a few seasons but teams will look at this new Man Utd side and think they can beat it now
    Tbh, most the teams that properly pressed us weren't the ones we dropped point against. Its not being pressed that was the way to beat us last season, we got slaughtered on the counter, standing off and letting us push the fullbacks up and expose and ageing CB pairing and a immobile midfield was the way to win. The City game we got slaughted with nearly 60% possession yet we did pretty well against Bayern without it. Seeing as we couldn't score half the time it wasn't much of a risk. Fulham being the obvious example. I think this season will probably be the same approach again, but for different reasons, rather than trying to catch us with pace I think we're going to be prone to errors at the back. I'm not sure that will involve Shaw or Rafael though, because they'll be higher up its more likely a player like Smalling or Jones could get caught out being asked to play with much more composure.

I'm pretty excited to see how the team plays this week. Players have said they are doing a lot of work with the ball rather than just fitness stuff, heavily emphasis on possession. I think we could easily end up being one of the leagues possession teams this season, more so than usual, 60% odd average. But the formation is the big thing of interest.

(Original post by jam278)
    Hmm I'm not too sure about that. Depends on the players style but majority of CM signings from other leagues work very well.
    Kind of but most of those a defensive players. I'm thinking more the Aquilani, Deco, Veron, Sahin playmakers, players who do a lot of work on the ball where their is an emphasis on instinct. That's more the role Herrera is going to be playing for us. He should be fine, but I guess there is a risk he's not going to adapt to how much time and space he has on the ball which we really need him to have a pretty great understanding of.

ReputationRep:
    Costa and Lallana.

ReputationRep:
    Costa for sure, he's proper ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I watched Markovic play against Juve (or some other team in the Europa) and he looked pretty good - then again, he had quite a lot of space when he had the ball, which is something he might not get in the EPL - Hopefully he will adapt.

Hard to say at this stage, but ill go with Ideye from WBA just to be a bit different - Smaller teams usually struggle to accomodate those biggish fee strikers

The only way Lambert would be a flop if he actually makes Liverpool lose out on points - But he seems a clinical enough striker to hopefully not be like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    I watched Markovic play against Juve (or some other team in the Europa) and he looked pretty good - then again, he had quite a lot of space when he had the ball, which is something he might not get in the EPL - Hopefully he will adapt.

Hard to say at this stage, but ill go with Ideye from WBA just to be a bit different - Smaller teams usually struggle to accomodate those biggish fee strikers

The only way Lambert would be a flop if he actually makes Liverpool lose out on points - But he seems a clinical enough striker to hopefully not be like that
    I think the first point is a bit of a myth. Space isn't hard to come by in the Premier League at all, really. Not compared to the CL or international football.

ReputationRep:
    James Rodríguez and Patrice Evra will be big flops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa will battle it out for biggest flop, although Costa actually has a reputation these days so he has more to lose. Interested to see how badly Jose does with them tbh.

Lallana and whoever Spurs sign wont be far off.
    The bias is strong in this one

ReputationRep:
    Markovic, Lallana and Costa.

ReputationRep:
    Rodriguez and Herrera

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john0101)
    Sanchez, lallana, markovic, can, Costa, Fernando, Herrera, shaw?

Or anyone else I missed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sanchez, Herrera, Shaw will be flops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malefni)
    Sanchez, Herrera, Shaw will be flops
    sanchez and herrera won't flop.

costa will flop 100% i am sure of it.

ReputationRep:
    Got to be Markovich and Lambert. Even as a LFC fan I cannot understand why we are signing such mediocrity.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Costa

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.