Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you tell your girlfriend ?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    you may trust your girlfriend, but what how would you feel if she told her best friend. Who then told their mother etc. Would you be annoyed. This is how such things spread. Trust me i did a test.

Your friend trusted you unless your gf needed to know, then no you shouldnt have told her.

ReputationRep:
    nope , not her business, if your friend wanted her to know or didn't mind they would have said, its an invasion of privacy , and if it causes conflict then your girlfriend is being dramatic and unreasonable, you shouldn't have done it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    I'm done arguing with you now; you obviously cannot see that different people will react in different ways, and you cannot see the long-term. If somebody wants to be a doctor or a nurse or something like that, they have to go to university and their life will not happen if their parents do not sign things. You had a good experience, good for you. Others are not so lucky and you're too short-sighted to see that. A partner does not have the right to know a friend's secret without the friend's permission, end of.
    Are you actually for real?! I just put an end to the argument and even said that we both have different ways of reacting to it so there's no use in arguing over which is the "better" and you're telling me that I "cannot see that different people will react in different ways"? Give me a break! Don't insult my intelligence by saying that I can't see the long-term, I can and I still would react the same way because it's what I would do, clearly not you. Your problem is that you can't accept that someone would act in a different way to what you see as being the best way - it isn't MY best way. You said not going to university would ruin their lives, you weren't specific on if they intended to practice a specific career that you need a degree for. Don't assume other people are short-sighted because they would react in a different way to you, end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is it right what I did ? I thought as a partner she has the right to know things and she will keep quite about it, but if I was to tell my friend he would go mental ? I' MAY tell him soon though.

Did I do the right thing ?
    Definitely not, she has the right to know things about you, not your best friend's secrets

(Original post by Gabriel96)
    It isn't, but being in a relationship means you share stuff. Her right is that she's with him and this has clearly been an issue which is on his mind a lot (since he posted it on tsr) so they should talk about it with each other. If she was a good girlfriend, she'd be thankful of him sharing and keep it to herself. That might be the case but I doubt it tbh The person probably would have a good reaction to coming out so he should just be honest and do it or, in other words, grow a pair. If there is other things, like being kicked out the house, then that's different but it's usually not.
    Im the OP, this will probably sound a little odd and should have been mentioned earlier, however at the time of the first post me and my gay friend were ok, however before earler this year when I was dating my gf, he didnt like it one bit no the shes a bad person but because about a year ago he admitted to having a serious crush on me, I told him that im straight and theres no way in hell that could happen. But he is very persistent and clingy and would demand to know if I was with her and if I was he would hate that as he has a crush on me.

That resulted in another big argument between me and him, I told him to keep out of me and my gf business and that I would only tell him certain things and not personal things that are between me and her which he dosent like as he says were close and I should tell him, I disagree. So we stopped talking for a while. However he apologized and we made up but now he's doing my heading again about how shes the wrong girl and I shouldnt be with her. Now I have told my gf im falling out with a friend. But havent mentioned yet what he said, but I probably will do if our friendship is officially over. Now you can see im in a mess

(Original post by gapyearstudent)
    Definitely not, she has the right to know things about you, not your best friend's secrets
    I suppose but she is like my best friend.

ReputationRep:
    Im the OP, this will probably sound a little odd and should have been mentioned earlier, however at the time of the first post me and my gay friend were ok, however before earler this year when I was dating my gf, he didnt like it one bit no the shes a bad person but because about a year ago he admitted to having a serious crush on me, I told him that im straight and theres no way in hell that could happen. But he is very persistent and clingy and would demand to know if I was with her and if I was he would hate that as he has a crush on me.

That resulted in another big argument between me and him, I told him to keep out of me and my gf business and that I would only tell him certain things and not personal things that are between me and her which he dosent like as he says were close and I should tell him, I disagree. So we stopped talking for a while. However he apologized and we made up but now he's doing my heading again about how shes the wrong girl and I shouldnt be with her. Now I have told my gf im falling out with a friend. But havent mentioned yet what he said, but I probably will do if our friendship is officially over. Now you can see im in a mess
    Well this changes a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No i think it's fine. When you're in a relationship you can tell each other anything, and you must trust your girlfriend enough to tell her something about a friend of yours. as long as she doesnt say anything, it's completely fine imo. Yeah, it doesnt concern her, but there's no harm telling her either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    I'm done arguing with you now; you obviously cannot see that different people will react in different ways, and you cannot see the long-term. If somebody wants to be a doctor or a nurse or something like that, they have to go to university and their life will not happen if their parents do not sign things. You had a good experience, good for you. Others are not so lucky and you're too short-sighted to see that. A partner does not have the right to know a friend's secret without the friend's permission, end of.
    You're completely off point on student finance. Firstly, you can apply independently - my parents had literally no in involvement in my form. Secondly, if you have moved out and are no longer in contact with parents you won't be assessed based on their income so will likely get all the grants available - ie more than if you applied whilst living with them.
    You're being ridiculous, don't talk about things you don't know. I see where you're coming from with the emotional aspect but you can definitely go to university or whatever else.

(Original post by Gabriel96)
    I doubt that there's no alternatives offered to people in this position. Regardless, saying that their "whole life cannot happen" or that their life will be crap simply by them having not attended university is ridiculous! You're ranting now, we're different people who would react in different ways and there's no use in trying to assert any of these two ways to be "better" because each is best for one of us and not the other.
    There definitely are alternatives, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

ReputationRep:

In light of this definitely tell her. It's no longer about a friends secret, it's about someone making persistent romantic advances to you and interfering with your relationship. Your partner 100% deserves to know about someone who's interested in you and behaving oddly because of it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.