Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thomas the Tank Engine is classist, sexist and racist: New low for The Guardian. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Oh it is. The Graun is as bad as the Mail these days.

I don't know what's worse: angry old white man who hates everything that isn't straight white and supports the Tories; or Hampstead Sally who just writes complete rubbish about how owning plants is white supremacist neo-colonialism
    I've reached the limits of the amount of thumbs up I can give today, but this post is spot on and it also made me crack up laughing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Some 'insights' are indeed tenuous and the article isn't fantastic, but those who are determined to act as though there is a barrier between 'culture' and 'our views', and that the former has nothing to do with the latter, are just as silly.

The same goes for those who believe that only 'high' (I don't like this distinction) culture can form opinions or has ideological bent. It is as important to perform analyses of what is typically perceived to be low culture as it is 'high', whether that be Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke, Twilight, or, yes, Thomas the Tank Engine.

This line of thinking is no doubt in its infancy, which is why researchers treading in unfamiliar territory do indeed make ridiculous, tenuous links like the smoke=racism one, but the general practice shouldn't be ridiculed.
    I don't anyone has a problem with people being critical of all levels of media, they just have a problem with the fact that this criticism is utterly ridiculous and cringe-worthily typical of the kind of thinking that is often seen in The Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    I've reached the limits of the amount of thumbs up I can give today, but this post is spot on and it also made me crack up laughing.
    Hahahaha thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Oh it is. The Graun is as bad as the Mail these days.

I don't know what's worse: angry old white man who hates everything that isn't straight white and supports the Tories; or Hampstead Sally who just writes complete rubbish about how owning plants is white supremacist neo-colonialism

Basically there's no middle ground.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some of The Guardian's writers are laughable. It's like a libertarian's Mail Online.

ReputationRep:
    Does that woman who wrote the article even have children? I doubt it most be feminists and all they see children as a part of the male hierarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Some of The Guardian's writers are laughable. It's like a libertarian's Mail Online.
    They aren't libertarians at all. They read the Tele/Times

ReputationRep:
    For every one of those there is one of these

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...tyrants-russia

Also a stupid article on Thomas the Tank engine is no where near as harmful as some of the stuff the Mail does.

ReputationRep:
    Komment Macht Frei.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing new here from the loony left.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.