Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey i got accepted to do Msc in Advanced Aeronautics... The thing is, its not accredited.. Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    -Is it essential for you to study Further Maths? Can you fill it with Chemistry or something similar? My school doesn't do further maths A Level
    -Were you debating between mechanical and aerospace?
    -Is it focused on aerodynamics?
    -Would you choose another course if you had the chance?

Sorry haven't read the full thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trihawk7)
    -Is it essential for you to study Further Maths? Can you fill it with Chemistry or something similar? My school doesn't do further maths A Level

Erm so I have an offer and I didn't do FM but I self taught the AS so maybe you should do that too? ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reddish)
    Erm so I have an offer and I didn't do FM but I self taught the AS so maybe you should do that too? ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What grade did you get and was it hard?

ReputationRep:
    What grade did you get and was it hard?
    I don't know yet. But no it wasn't hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rejected_usrname)
    Hey i got accepted to do Msc in Advanced Aeronautics... The thing is, its not accredited.. Should I be worried?
    Sorry, I don't know about the MSc, but the modules you will be taking are 3rd and 4th year modules from the undergraduate course. It would be best to contact the admissions department regarding degree accreditation and prospective employers to gauge how important it is to have said accreditation.

If your school doesn't do FM then its fine, its not compulsory. Maybe state it somewhere in your PS so the admissions dpt. know why you haven't taken it. If you have the opportunity, learn some FP modules in your own time; it will boost your application, help you with the maths admissions exam and help you with your first year a lot .

I was set on aerospace from the start.

There are aerodynamics modules, but it covers all fields - aerodynamics, structures/ materials, control. There is 1 aerodynamics module in the first year, 1 in the second year and then the rest can be taken optionally in the final 2 years.

I would consider taking computer science, but that's just a personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I'm not sure where else.
    I have taken chemistry, physics, maths and further maths at A-level and applied for physics. My offer is A*A*A (they haven't said anything about my fourth A-level). However now I really want to switch to aeronautical engineering. If I get my grades on results day do you think I could call up and see if I can switch courses? Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Sorry, I don't know about the MSc, but the modules you will be taking are 3rd and 4th year modules from the undergraduate course. It would be best to contact the admissions department regarding degree accreditation and prospective employers to gauge how important it is to have said accreditation.
    First off, thanks for the reply. Secondly, I know this is probably a noob question but in your opinion how important is accreditation?

I've already asked others some say its okay and some say its not okay. But the ones who say that its okay most of the time say I should do it anyway since its Imperial. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all was wondering if anyone who studies Aeronautics could tell me how many modules are taught in the first year? Was planning on buying some folders and stuff soon (yay!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My AS result is as follows:
    Maths:A
    Physics:A
    Geography:B
    85% UMS in average

while I will get my A2 further maths qualification next year.
    Should I still apply to Imperial?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iawaityourcall)
    Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I'm not sure where else.
    I have taken chemistry, physics, maths and further maths at A-level and applied for physics. My offer is A*A*A (they haven't said anything about my fourth A-level). However now I really want to switch to aeronautical engineering. If I get my grades on results day do you think I could call up and see if I can switch courses? Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Thank you in advance.
    Just send both admissions departments an email. It's quite common for people to switch courses, but it all depends on whether or not there is space. However, I wouldn't get your hopes up as aero is horribly oversubscribed.

(Original post by rejected_usrname)
    First off, thanks for the reply. Secondly, I know this is probably a noob question but in your opinion how important is accreditation?

I've already asked others some say its okay and some say its not okay. But the ones who say that its okay most of the time say I should do it anyway since its Imperial. What do you think?
    Unfortunately I'm not the best to ask about accreditation for an MSc course. You might be better off either asking admissions or someone who has graduated from the MSc course so they can tell you first hand the affect (if any) of not having accreditation.

(Original post by Reddish)
    Hey all was wondering if anyone who studies Aeronautics could tell me how many modules are taught in the first year? Was planning on buying some folders and stuff soon (yay!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's 8 modules (if it hasn't changed):

Mathematics
    Intro to Aerodynamics & Aircraft Performance
    Intro to Thermodynamics
    Intro to Structural Analysis
    Computing
    Engineering Design
    Mechanics & Foundation Mechanics
    Humanities / Business

I think that's all of them...

(Original post by chermaine123)
    Hi,
    My AS result is as follows:
    Maths:A
    Physics:A
    Geography:B
    85% UMS in average

while I will get my A2 further maths qualification next year.
    Should I still apply to Imperial?

Thanks!
    Yes, just make sure you get the Physics and Maths to A* and show somewhere on your application/ PS that you will be taking FMaths.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean my predict grade should be both A* in physics and maths?
    If I get A*AA, should I still apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chermaine123)
    Do you mean my predict grade should be both A* in physics and maths?
    If I get A*AA, should I still apply?
    Try to get A*A*A at least because that's their minimum entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your time ViralRiver!!! =)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be joining aeronautics this October!!

Just wanted to ask what is the most difficult aspect of the course?

And could you tell me a list of the books I would need for the course?
    Around what price are they altogether? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by echobreeze)
    Hi, I will be joining aeronautics this October!!

Just wanted to ask what is the most difficult aspect of the course?

And could you tell me a list of the books I would need for the course?
    Around what price are they altogether? Thanks in advance
    1st year should be fine, just use the time to get used to the workload and difficulty (it gets a lot harder in 2nd year).

Undoubtedly the most important book for the degree: Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by John D. Anderson. Get it, the library doesn't stock enough tbh. It costs ~40. Other useful books are Engineering Mathematics and Advanced Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud (again 40 each) but these aren't necessary - they help though. There are a couple of good materials books as well, but I can't remember their names, the prof will tell you in your first lecture though, don't worry.

Have fun, and I'll be on the bar at the mingle so come introduce yourself if you want .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.