Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I get into medicine with poor GCSE's Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)
    St Georges requires a average of A at your best 8 GCSE to be considered so I guess you should check if you meet that cut-off line.

But I'm eligible for the foundation year they run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)
    Is that actually true?

Most would say, they see four A Levels and three A levels in the same light.

But I know when it really comes down to making offers, universities will look at a fourth A Level.

Yes, there are a lot of students carrying on doing four A levels. Speak to other's as well and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleenaa)
    Hey Lincoln! Sorry guys please forgive me for my ignorance but I'm a lil confused - I've always said Pharmacy will be my backup plan but I really want to become a doctor so I'm not even thinking about that right now - so if I understand correctly you're saying to do that and then apply to do medicine?
    No do medicine unless your parents are rich and you have £45,000 to do a graduate entry course. Sorry about your father. Make him proud

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FergieD)
    Newcastle, Man and Leicester, 750 UKCAT and awaiting results
    750 average/3000 total?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Booyah)
    Can we stop having these **** GCSE result threads... You do not need awesome GCSE's for Medicine. I mean there are people who get lower then me and still get in. Just focus on your A-levels and what will be will be. Just apply smart (and that means don't apply to any London universities or Oxbridge!)

edited my spelling mistake before a Nazi got here!

by the way if it means anything I got 1A* 7A's 3B's and a C along with AAA at A-level and a UKCAT of 687.5 ( I got into Newcastle by the way after taking a gap year)
    well done enjoy newcastle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89uk)
    750 average/3000 total?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    Thats a good score well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No do medicine unless your parents are rich and you have £45,000 to do a graduate entry course. Sorry about your father. Make him proud

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The grad entry course does not require you to have rich parents, or £45000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ronove is right, it cost's alot, lot less than that.

Still a considerable more expensive and time consuming option though...

ReputationRep:
    Its expensive if you already have a degree (£45000 is maximum based on 5 years at full £9000 i know graduate is 4 years) not neccesarily rich parents but its more expensive than undergraduate and harder to secure your place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But it probably helps.

ReputationRep:
    Ronove is right, it cost's alot, lot less than that.

Still a considerable more expensive and time consuming option though...
    That was my point its expensive and still no gaurantee of a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its expensive if you already have a degree (£45000 is maximum based on 5 years at full £9000 i know graduate is 4 years) not neccesarily rich parents but its more expensive than undergraduate and harder to secure your place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    'Grad entry' refers only to the GEM courses. A graduate applying for the 5/6 year courses is not 'grad entry'. Grad entry is where you (currently) get a fair amount of cover from Student Finance. You only pay £3500 upfront in first year. You get help with both tuition fees and maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    'Grad entry' refers only to the GEM courses. A graduate applying for the 5/6 year courses is not 'grad entry'. Grad entry is where you (currently) get a fair amount of cover from Student Finance. You only pay £3500 upfront in first year. You get help with both tuition fees and maintenance.
    Yes thats true i was sure on the exact amount. What i was told by student finace is that if its a second degree and you used 3 years of loan, they hive you 1 year extra in funding so youd have to fund 3 years. Thats what they said to me today. However as i used one year of my loan i can still get 5 years of tuition paid. Whether this is the same for full degree i dont know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes thats true i was sure on the exact amount. What i was told by student finace is that if its a second degree and you used 3 years of loan, they hive you 1 year extra in funding so youd have to fund 3 years. Thats what they said to me today. However as i used one year of my loan i can still get 5 years of tuition paid. Whether this is the same for full degree i dont know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would never be a 'second degree' for you because you don't have a degree. If you already have a degree, you would not qualify for any extra funding from Student Finance, except in the case of the course being Medicine (or Dentistry, I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleenaa)
    Hey guys. I really need some help. I have researched a lot into this myself but I am so confused. So I have recently finished my GCSE's, however I KNOW that I did very poorly. This is because my father passed away right before my exams and this has messed me up in all kinda mental and emotional ways. I am really annoyed because I put a hell of lot of work into my coursework. I am someone who is predicted A*/A/ & B's and I know there's no way in hell that I have got anywhere near that.

My original plan was to do my A Levels, which I chose as : Chemistry, Biology, RS and Psychology and apply for medicine. However, knowing that I did my GCSE's poorly, what can I do? Should I do my GCSE's again? I am pretty see my school 6th form will accept me to do my a levels no matter what grades I got, and I don't really wanna be a year behind. Also, if I do my GCSE's again, there's been a change in courses and I don't want to learn a new syllabus. .. And whenever I research for medicine it says the entry requirements are 3 A's at A levels. This has been on my mind a lot and it is really stressing me out so I would appreciate any help!

Sorry if this didn't make any sense // x
    I'm just as motivated as you are and i have expreience a tragady like urs but mines was related to my health, and i want to become a doctor more then anything in the world and honestly uni's don't look at your gcse's they look at you a-levels mainly. I've spoken to ned students and asked them the same question amd they told me that.
    I'm really sorry for your loss, but look at the bright side now ur even more motivated to become a doctor because u dont want people to feel your pain, and just do ur a-levels and become the vest you can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It would never be a 'second degree' for you because you don't have a degree. If you already have a degree, you would not qualify for any extra funding from Student Finance, [b]except in the case of the course being Medicine (or Dentistry, I think)[B] .
    Thats a good point they never said that to me then again i never stated it was medicine i just stated it was a 5 year degree, that might be where the confusion came from. Thank you for clarifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good point they never said that to me then again i never stated it was medicine i just stated it was a 5 year degree, that might be where the confusion came from. Thank you for clarifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries at all. Just catch up with your education, spend some time preparing for the work of uni life and Higher Education, do well and apply. You seem to have had it tough so far so now is the time to let yourself catch up on what you've missed.

ReputationRep:
    No worries at all. Just catch up with your education, spend some time preparing for the work of uni life and Higher Education, do well and apply. You seem to have had it tough so far so now is the time to let yourself catch up on what you've missed.
    Thank you yeah life has been pretty tough, i dont know how i got here but ive never let it hold me back. I will ve doctor Taylor i will because i owe it to myself. I will work so hard because i know that its just hard work commitment and finding the techniques that work for me and the grades are achieveable. I just cant wait nervous excited scared but determined. The worst they can say is no and im going to do everything i can to ensure they say yes.

Its going to be tough but life was never meant to be an easy walk in the park.

Thank you for all your help, you definately helped me make this leap and start this journey. I was unsure when i came to this forum whether i could consider it as an option and you advised me that im not too old and gave me hope. Thank you for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you yeah life has been pretty tough, i dont know how i got here but ive never let it hold me back. I will ve doctor Taylor i will because i owe it to myself. I will work so hard because i know that its just hard work commitment and finding the techniques that work for me and the grades are achieveable. I just cant wait nervous excited scared but determined. The worst they can say is no and im going to do everything i can to ensure they say yes.

Its going to be tough but life was never meant to be an easy walk in the park.

Thank you for all your help, you definately helped me make this leap and start this journey. I was unsure when i came to this forum whether i could consider it as an option and you advised me that im not too old and gave me hope. Thank you for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're very welcome. Twenties is not old. Even thirties isn't old. We've got a good forty years left to work at the absolute minimum, and god knows what the retirement age will be when we get that far. 5-6 years is nothing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.