Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    Mine is 8-10 hours a week by w/c 22nd Sept and then 8-10 hours the following week. Am teaching my first lesson next week! Eek! Excited but nervous.
    Which subject are you studying? Good luck! Luckily I have one more week before I have to teach my first lesson!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark_otbc)
    Which subject are you studying? Good luck! Luckily I have one more week before I have to teach my first lesson!
    I'm doing Primary.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the problem that they are being counted as a TA? I am experiencing that I want to do an observation somewhere or meet with my mentor but can't leave the class coz they need a number of TAs in class... I thought we were supposed to be extras? This is for salaries primary in a SEN school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hikkaduwa)
    Does anyone have the problem that they are being counted as a TA? I am experiencing that I want to do an observation somewhere or meet with my mentor but can't leave the class coz they need a number of TAs in class... I thought we were supposed to be extras? This is for salaries primary in a SEN school
    You will be counted as a TA until you start teaching. Why not ask the teavher if you can go speak to your mentor? Or go before or after school? I just got my timetable today and ive asked to do observations next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone finding SD? What a roller coaster of emotions! Is anyone finding behaviour management a bit of a chore? I was alone with my class a couple of times for an hour last week....they just don't listen to me when I'm telling them to settle down!
    Does anyone have any behaviour strategies that could be used in ks2!! The teacher in my class is amazing, the children literally just fall silent when she enters the room! Help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatshername24)
    How is everyone finding SD? What a roller coaster of emotions! Is anyone finding behaviour management a bit of a chore? I was alone with my class a couple of times for an hour last week....they just don't listen to me when I'm telling them to settle down!
    Does anyone have any behaviour strategies that could be used in ks2!! The teacher in my class is amazing, the children literally just fall silent when she enters the room! Help!!!
    I think behaviour management is one of the most daunting parts of teaching so don't beat yourself up too much. My advice, for what it's worth, is to work to the school behaviour policy and dish out sanctions for those children who are misbehaving. Does your school have golden points/house points etc that you can take away from children who repeatedly ignore your requests? Once they know you can dish out sanctions I think they might fall into line. Equally, hand out some house points/golden points for positive behaviour too so they see that good behaviour is rewarded.

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone finding it so far? I am absolutely shattered already, I'm starting to get a bit worried that if I'm tired now I'm going to really struggle when I move on to teaching more than 2 hours a week!

ReputationRep:
    I think behaviour management is one of the most daunting parts of teaching so don't beat yourself up too much. My advice, for what it's worth, is to work to the school behaviour policy and dish out sanctions for those children who are misbehaving. Does your school have golden points/house points etc that you can take away from children who repeatedly ignore your requests? Once they know you can dish out sanctions I think they might fall into line. Equally, hand out some house points/golden points for positive behaviour too so they see that good behaviour is rewarded.
    Thank you for your response, you have given me something to think about! I still feel like an outsider and I am really lacking confidence at the minute. I'm one of the most out going people ever, yet in front of a class of 30 children I feel like a bag of nerves! I'm hoping the confidence will come in time! I did think about utilising the "team points" but didn't feel like I had the authority to dish them out, of that makes sense. Maybe I'm just reading to far into it! Thank you for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatshername24)
    Thank you for your response, you have given me something to think about! I still feel like an outsider and I am really lacking confidence at the minute. I'm one of the most out going people ever, yet in front of a class of 30 children I feel like a bag of nerves! I'm hoping the confidence will come in time! I did think about utilising the "team points" but didn't feel like I had the authority to dish them out, of that makes sense. Maybe I'm just reading to far into it! Thank you for your advice
    Yeah you should definitely have the authority to hand them out! Once the class see this, it might 'encourage' them to improve their behaviour. I think you need to be fairly strict at the beginning so they know that they can't get away with murder when you're teaching!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark_otbc)
    How's everyone finding it so far? I am absolutely shattered already, I'm starting to get a bit worried that if I'm tired now I'm going to really struggle when I move on to teaching more than 2 hours a week!
    I have to say that I'm loving it at the moment. I've taught a few lessons and just want to get on and teach more now! I'm still enjoying taking it easy though because before I know it I'll be expected to teach 15 hours a week. Trying to squeeze in some time to observe teachers in other year groups at the moment which is proving a bit tricky.

ReputationRep:
    Hello School Directers. Glad I found this forum, I'm shattered already too. In a Yr 6 class with some real behaviour issues but the teacher is finding it really hard to let go and give me a chance to actually teach. I know its SATs year and all, but why put me there if they wont let me learn through making mistakes! Anyone else having similar problems? Im only getting a couple of hours proper teaching at the moment and its making me feel pretty inadequate...

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone

Is the School direct route the same as a PGCE in regards to picking one subject? and is it possible to do PE through this scheme?

Thanks for any feedback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistermister)
    Hello School Directers. Glad I found this forum, I'm shattered already too. In a Yr 6 class with some real behaviour issues but the teacher is finding it really hard to let go and give me a chance to actually teach. I know its SATs year and all, but why put me there if they wont let me learn through making mistakes! Anyone else having similar problems? Im only getting a couple of hours proper teaching at the moment and its making me feel pretty inadequate...
    Hi there,

That does sound rather annoying. Is your mentor aware of how many hours you're expected to teach even at this early stage? Are you able to do small group work at all? Or even collaborative teaching? Maybe your teacher is concerned about the behaviour issues in the class rather than being worried about your ability to teach them, if that makes any sense?

Anyway, hope it improves for you! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I just found this forum and wondered if anyone would be so kind to give me some advice I am thinking of applying for Schools Direct when applications open in October. What is the interview process like?
    Also, what made you choose SD as opposed to choosing the 'traditional' PGCE route? I have found a school that I really like which is part of a consortium of schools who are linked to SD, I am hoping I can somehow get in there! I had a look around the school today and it was lovely.
    Anyway, I know you are probably all super busy! But if anyone could just give me an overview of interview process/how it's going so far/pros/cons then I would be very, very grateful!

Good luck to you all!

K x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie543)
    Hey

I just found this forum and wondered if anyone would be so kind to give me some advice I am thinking of applying for Schools Direct when applications open in October. What is the interview process like?
    Also, what made you choose SD as opposed to choosing the 'traditional' PGCE route? I have found a school that I really like which is part of a consortium of schools who are linked to SD, I am hoping I can somehow get in there! I had a look around the school today and it was lovely.
    Anyway, I know you are probably all super busy! But if anyone could just give me an overview of interview process/how it's going so far/pros/cons then I would be very, very grateful!

Good luck to you all!

K x
    Well for me it was an easy choice because it was the only route that paid a salary! Even if I hadn't have managed to get on the SDS route I still would have opted for SDT over the traditional route because I wanted to be in school from day one and treated like a proper member of staff (by other teachers/pupils/parents etc). I also think I learn better by just getting on with it and being thrown in at the deep end.

In terms of the interview process, I can only tell you about one interview because I got offered an SDS place after my first interview. It was broken down as follows:
    - literacy and numeracy tests (Yr 6 SAT papers)
    - group discussion
    - reading/discussion task with a Yr2 class
    - short individual presentation to 3 head teachers

If you made it through the morning then you had individual interviews with the 3 head teachers in the afternoon. Pretty thorough interview I'd say!

ReputationRep:
    Well for me it was an easy choice because it was the only route that paid a salary! Even if I hadn't have managed to get on the SDS route I still would have opted for SDT over the traditional route because I wanted to be in school from day one and treated like a proper member of staff (by other teachers/pupils/parents etc). I also think I learn better by just getting on with it and being thrown in at the deep end.

In terms of the interview process, I can only tell you about one interview because I got offered an SDS place after my first interview. It was broken down as follows:
    - literacy and numeracy tests (Yr 6 SAT papers)
    - group discussion
    - reading/discussion task with a Yr2 class
    - short individual presentation to 3 head teachers

If you made it through the morning then you had individual interviews with the 3 head teachers in the afternoon. Pretty thorough interview I'd say!
    Thank you. Wow, that seems quite intense! I am really leaning towards the SD route because like you said, it sometimes is good to be thrown in at the deep end. Plus, I think I want to be a part of the school community from day one. I don't want to keep feeling like the awkward student all the time on work experience!

A year 6 SATS paper worries me! Did they discuss your results from the paper at all?!

What was your presentation about?

How are you finding the support thus far?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Wow, that seems quite intense! I am really leaning towards the SD route because like you said, it sometimes is good to be thrown in at the deep end. Plus, I think I want to be a part of the school community from day one. I don't want to keep feeling like the awkward student all the time on work experience!

A year 6 SATS paper worries me! Did they discuss your results from the paper at all?!

What was your presentation about?

How are you finding the support thus far?
    I'm really loving it so far. I'm in a lovely school, the teachers are really nice as are the children. I'm teaching quite a few hours already and also marking/planning etc so feel like a teacher rather than just a student.

They didn't go through the results of the tests actually and I know for sure I got one of the questions on the maths paper wrong! If you get time, I'd recommend doing some past SATs papers so you're familiar with the format and content.

For the presentations, we had to talk about a time (either in the classroom or in our previous careers) where we'd taught someone something. I chose an example from my previous career.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really loving it so far. I'm in a lovely school, the teachers are really nice as are the children. I'm teaching quite a few hours already and also marking/planning etc so feel like a teacher rather than just a student.

They didn't go through the results of the tests actually and I know for sure I got one of the questions on the maths paper wrong! If you get time, I'd recommend doing some past SATs papers so you're familiar with the format and content.

For the presentations, we had to talk about a time (either in the classroom or in our previous careers) where we'd taught someone something. I chose an example from my previous career.
    That sounds really good. What are you doing ATM? Are you taking small groups of children or just observing? It is great you are involved in the planning and marking. Do the teachers show you how to do everything and support you?

I cannot wait to get stuck in!!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really good. What are you doing ATM? Are you taking small groups of children or just observing? It is great you are involved in the planning and marking. Do the teachers show you how to do everything and support you?

I cannot wait to get stuck in!!
    I'm mostly doing full-class teaching already. Tomorrow I'm teaching most of the day, with one session where I'm observing a different year group teacher. So I'l be teaching Literacy, Numeracy, Guided Reading and ICT. Most of the planning has been done for me, so it's not like I'm having to plan everything as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mostly doing full-class teaching already. Tomorrow I'm teaching most of the day, with one session where I'm observing a different year group teacher. So I'l be teaching Literacy, Numeracy, Guided Reading and ICT. Most of the planning has been done for me, so it's not like I'm having to plan everything as well.
    Wow, that is quick. Is the teacher in the class when you do this? Observing and giving feedback? How are you finding behaviour management?
    Sorry for all these questions!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.