The Student Room Group

Would you: save the last female lion in the world or a loved one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeanofJelly
Loved one, obviously.

If there was only 1 female lion left, the species would be doomed anyway. Genetic diversity and all that. Even disregarding the problem of genetic diversity, something killed all the other lions - there's no reason to think the female lion and/or any cubs she produces won't ultimately meet the same fate, whether I save them now or not. Realistically there is very little to gain from saving the lion.

Regardless, even if the scenario is simply "loved one" vs "successfully rescue the lion species for all time" I would probably still choose loved one.

Good break down, I love it :biggrin:

Original post by Slowbro93
I think the problem with this scenario is that you wouldn't have an emotional attachement to the lion. As such whilst it would be bad most people would take the option of saving a loved one.

The question would be more interesting if you propose this. You are at a cliff. You can only save one person. 1 is a new born who has the potential to contribute great things to society and the world. The other is a distance family member who may as well be a stranger who has contributed to the world but nothing life changing (and approaching retirement). Who do you save?

Ooh, start that one! :lol:
Reply 41
Lion.
Loved one.
Reply 43
Loved one
Was hoping to see someone vote 'neither'....
IVF stick the lil thing in immunocompramised female tiger and volla new lion
As others have said saving the lion probably won't even lead to saving it's species.

Also what are the chances the lion will eat me after I save it?
Original post by Captain Jack
If you were hanging over a cliff, and in one hand you were holding onto a member of your close family (sister or brother) and in the other hand you were holding the last female lion....

I would probably be hurtling down the cliff to my death with the lion and the family member at a great rate of knots due to both my hands being occupied.

Hypothetically it would be the loved one every time, I would have a history, arguably a responsibility and an emotional investment with them.
The loved one. If the lions are down to their last female, the genetic bottleneck effect basically means they're screwed whether or not I save her.
Original post by Captain Jack
If you were hanging over a cliff, and in one hand you were holding onto a member of your close family (sister or brother) and in the other hand you were holding the last female lion in the world and thus the species' only chance for survival - which one would you save?

Pretend that if you let the other go, you could definitely lift the other to safety because the lion is a cub and that the lion is sedated so it wouldn't kill / maul you.

Just argued with my brother so the lion cub.... only kidding!

Human being over animal, but I'd be very sad that the lion cub had to go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by markyb76
I would probably be hurtling down the cliff to my death with the lion and the family member at a great rate of knots due to both my hands being occupied.

Let's assume your right foot is wedged in a branch of a tree that can hold the weight.

I'm also going to throw in that there is still a pack of male lions for genetic variation purposes.
Reply 52
A loved one. Obviously.
Lol, what a pointless question. Who the **** is going to save a lion instead of a loved one?
if you're looking at it from a utilitarian point of view it would be the lion - but personally I'd save a loved one as a natural instinct like most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What made you seriously think this was a good question
I'd save a loved one.

It doesn't really make a difference to me whether lions become extinct or not, they don't do much for me.
loved one. If there is only one female lion left i dont think the species has a chance at survival anyway.
Reply 58
Who voted neither, I can't even believe that's even an option, how could you let both die :lolwut:

So obviously for the vast majority of people its a no-brainer. However, I would be interested to see what someone who works or campaigns for lions would say, so that there is some kind of emotional attachment to the lion there. Would they love lions enough to sacrifice their loved one to save their beloved lions? Again, probably not, but I'd be interested to see what they would say.
Original post by miser
Loved one. Lions and other wild animals have pretty terrible lives (injuries, disease,etc.), and in the case of carnivores they actively inflict injury on other animals. I'm not particularly of the opinion that animals are worth saving in the current circumstances.

There's so much wrong with this. Carnivores need meat and in the wild this requires hunting. Or are you expecting them to make use of complimentary buffets situated at intervals in the savannah and elsewhere?

The idea that animals are not worth saving because they have miserable lives and hunt each other is also nonsensical because our ecosystem is a delicate thing and taking out too many pieces would ultimately cause humans misery. There's also something careless about not wanting to preserve life; not only does each life form have its own value but there are things we can learn in research from other living animals that can benefit humans in many areas.

I wouldn't choose the lion here but your post was crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending