Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should parents be fined for taking kids on holiday? Watch

• View Poll Results: : Should Parents be fined?
    Yes
    31.25%
    No
    68.75%

ReputationRep:
    What's most annoying is that, according to statistics, the kids to whose school career a term-time holiday would be most detrimental are often the kids with parents who do not take their child's school career seriously enough. (just going to give you a moment here to re-read that mess of a sentence!) These parents are often under the poverty line and thus cannot afford to pay the fines. This results in a cheap term-time holiday for them and as little as £1 taken from them a week to cover the fine.

The people who 'deserve' the largest fines (not just school holiday fines but also court settlement fees, train fines, bus fines et cetera) are often the people who are least able to pay them. I know plenty of people here in my North East hometown who are entirely dependent on state handouts and yet use public transport on a daily basis. Were they to pay for their travel it would cost them thousands of pounds per year but since no more money can be taken from their weekly state-given income they get to ride around for free.

The mind boggles.

ReputationRep:
    It's the law that children have to go to school. So yes in unexceptional circumstances there should be a fine.

Lets remember kids being taken out in term time isn't always for a fun family holiday... FGM being a prime example of why a lot of girls may have to miss school during term time...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's different from case to case, and it's hard to have a one size fits all policy with this, so there should be some discretion. Some kids might be doing really well in school and have high attendance, in which case a holiday in school time could be acceptable, while it would be a bad idea with a kid doing badly or with low attendance. Then you also have things like visiting sick relatives, family events like weddings, etc. You also might have disabled children going on holiday - booking a disabled cabin on a cruise for example might not always be possible during school holidays.

You really need to take individual circumstances into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie !)
    I know! It's horrible. It's shocking what schools don't allow these days.
    That would have definitely been allowed when I was there, some schools just don't use their common sense it isn't going to stop them, no amount of money is worth not spending time you'll never be able to with your mum again. That has genuinley upset me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    My parents wanted to go on holiday this year (Year 12 for me). We'd usually go around March but because of this rule they decided to book a holiday in the week off school right in the middle of my exams (3 exams the week before, 3 exams the week after). I argued with them but they wouldn't let me stay at home.

Funnily enough, the exams I had when I got back went worse than any I've ever done, and I managed to answer less than half the questions in one of them.

Thanks, Mr Gove!
    By that point in time you should already know what the hell you're doing. Stop making excuses and blaming others for your failings.

ReputationRep:
    One way of reducing the problem would be for school holidays to be different across the country, so that from a given airport, the demand would be spread out.

This presents a dilemma, as if higher prices are as a result of demand, and the demand is there for more weeks of the year, it could be just a case of lower prices being available for less of the time. So for all of us when our children have grown up, or if we never have them, are childless, we want to have holidays in term-time when they are cheaper. If there were fewer lower price weeks as some children are on holiday on more weeks, the choice for those without school age children is less.

Assuming an average family of two children three years apart in age, one or both are of school age for 18 years. If you live to be 80, that's 60 odd years of adulthood of which under a third are higher priced. So would a change be a good thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbi!)
    It's the law that children have to go to school. So yes in unexceptional circumstances there should be a fine.

Lets remember kids being taken out in term time isn't always for a fun family holiday... FGM being a prime example of why a lot of girls may have to miss school during term time...
    That is irrelevant
    FGM can done during weekends

ReputationRep:
    Only if teachers are fined for striking

ReputationRep:
    No, because if we assume that the objective of implementing fines is to get kids to attend classes and do better in exams, first we need to acknowledge that different kids have different academic ability. I doubt anyone would have an issue with a bright student who already understands the subject material and has already completed his/her homework ahead of time so that he/she may go on holiday. The kids' parents may also not have much free time to bond with the kid at any other time of the year, possibly due to job obligations etc. The State also has better things to worry about than kids skipping class, such as ensuring that the Trojan Horse scandal in Birmingham does not repeat.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to see some regulation on how greatly the travel industry can inflate their costs during school holiday times but this is probably equally difficult to implement.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle4)
    I'd prefer to see some regulation on how greatly the travel industry can inflate their costs during school holiday times but this is probably equally difficult to implement.
    Yeah this would be a good idea, because if you look at places like centerparks they double the price

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it isn't right to fine the parents.
    When I had a holiday in year 9 it was to go and visit my newly born nephew. I went to see my teachers and took work from them and I completed the work and covered what I needed to, and any probelms I had I went back after the holiday and asked them. For anyone that says that a student wouldn't have time to go on holiday and cover the work, it's important to consider how it works for home educated children: their school days are at least halved compared to those in school because you don't have to deal with disturbances in classes or the tasks of taking the register etc which builds up.
    I think it's just another way in which the government are trying to control people, they are giving themselves a means to control when and if families go on holiday.
    A holiday can often be much needed for children as well as the parents, particularly when working to the best of your ability is emphasised so much it can be detrimental to a student's health.
    One other thing I'd like to point out which hasn't been mentioned on this thread, what about the tourism industry? I've grown up in an area with tourism as the main generator for the local economy, and with parents who run a holiday business. Tourism is significant for the UK, and by taking away the revenue created by those families who go on holiday during term time, it could cause severe negative impacts.

ReputationRep:
    I understand why fines happen, my parents were always careful to not take me out of school during term time when I was young. I had a friend who would have a week off, right before half term, to sit by a pool all the time, and not learn anything. I disagree with that. I know it's cheaper, but we do have holidays, and we should stick to them. However, when I got older my dad moved abroad to work, and occaisionally I had to miss the last day of term because I was flying out to see him. Even before this, we would always double check I wouldn't miss anything vital ( I actually came in on he morning I was flying once because I had to do a drama assessment).

In scandavia somewhere, I know you are allowe to take your kids out of school for up to six weeks, but they are given work to do in the time, and they have to learn something new, which they can show when they go back to school. This could be doing a project on the culture they stay in, or take a scuba diving qualification, so long as the experience is enriching, rather than sedentary.

So in theory, I think parents should be fined, but it should be defined on a case by case basis. I tutored a girl whose mother has this problem, as a family member is getting married in Pakistan in October (it was meant to be April, but the wedding got pushed back, which means now she has to deal with a new secondary school rather than the primary school where the faculty knew her and maybe would have been more sympathetic). Though the wedding is happening in half term, she wants to take her children out of school for an extra week, as this is the country their ancestors are from, and she wants her children to learn about it. During the week of the wedding, everyone will be focusing on that, so the children won't actually get to see Pakistan, in the same way as if they had an extra week. She would never take her children out during GCSE's or any vital exam period and therefore knows this is maybe one of the last chances to show her daughter the country before she starts having exams etc. In this case, I do think the girl should be allowed a week off.

Okay, that turned ranty which was unintentional! atTL;DR- I think whether or not a child is granted the time off depends on why they are going away, and maybe a system like the Scandinavian one would be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alumna)
    That is irrelevant
    FGM can done during weekends

lol

I meant that it's a negative reason to be taken out of school, if that wasn't clear. It's a negative thing to happen at all. And a lot of the time time is missed from school to travel to different countries for the procedure and to recover.

If we aren't checking up on exactly why children are missing school and discouraging missing school by the use of fines, we're more likely to allow this kind of child abuse to go under the radar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbi!)
    lol

I meant that it's a negative reason to be taken out of school, if that wasn't clear. It's a negative thing to happen at all. And a lot of the time time is missed from school to travel to different countries for the procedure and to recover.

If we aren't checking up on exactly why children are missing school and discouraging missing school by the use of fines, we're more likely to allow this kind of child abuse to go under the radar.
    This is something completely different.
    If the governing bodies want to check up on child abuse then there are different ways to do it. Even if kids are at school they don't know what abuse goes on at home.

The freedom of being a parent shouldn't be taken away just because the government want to control everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle4)
    I'd agree, I think that the travel industry are partially responsible by increasing the costs of holiday prices by extreme amounts in the holidays. However, regulating the industry could just see them hike the prices of holidays at other points of the year.

ReputationRep:
    noo!!!

missing school once in a while doesn't hurt

teachers aren't the boss

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. Imagine this was given quite some consideration before introduction and you can see it might be anarchy with every parent judging what is and isn't acceptable to do. This said, for me on instinct, it is a bit of nanny state too far..
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    it is the parents responsibility to educate their children. so its up to them if they wish to take them out early for a holiday or not.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alumna)
    parents can be fined for taking their kids time of school to go on holiday.
    yes or no ?

why
    'Yes'.

You have the option to home school your child or have them educated in the independent sector, if you choose to have them educated by the state then you must obey the states rules vis a vi term times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.