Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    Np Best of luck with results day, it will come round fast!

Luckily I've already been through the application process haha, I'm going into my second year at uni.
    Ah :P Well good luck for 3 years ago then :P How is it all going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etc200996)
    I've wanted to do medicine for around 2 years now and last year I got 9A*s in my GCSEs so i thought i was pretty set if i continued doing what i was doing BUT i'm pretty sure i've done badly in my AS levels specifically chemistry and when i say bad i mean like 99.9% sure i failed chemistry. so i suppose i was just wondering what my options are if i do end up not getting required AS grades? in terms of applying?
    Hey, don't worry about bad AS grades. You can always resit! Yes, it would be much easier if you had all As at AS when applying to uni in year 13 but honestly, as long as you get the AAA at A2 then you. Have good chances of getting into med school, even if you have to apply after results come out.

Failing that, there is always the opportunity to go for entry med. this is an additional year at uni (so make sure you actually want to do med) but it means that your AS grades don't have to be perfect and A2 offers can be as low as BBC at a medium uni like UEA. Plus, if you're quick you can apply for the UEA med school taster where if you get a place on that, you are guaranteed an interview in March 2015.

Hope this helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    Ah :P Well good luck for 3 years ago then :P How is it all going?
    Haha cheers It's going well thanks, university is pretty different in comparison to sixth form. It was quite hard at first adjusting to the style of teaching but you eventually adapt and get used to it. It is a lot more independent and you have to be organised to keep up with the intense nature of the course. Overall I am enjoying it though. I've only really got a year left at university(on campus) then you move to your base hospital for 3 years for you clinical teaching. Are you looking forward to starting university??

ReputationRep:
    Haha cheers It's going well thanks, university is pretty different in comparison to sixth form. It was quite hard at first adjusting to the style of teaching but you eventually adapt and get used to it. It is a lot more independent and you have to be organised to keep up with the intense nature of the course. Overall I am enjoying it though. I've only really got a year left at university(on campus) then you move to your base hospital for 3 years for you clinical teaching. Are you looking forward to starting university??
    That sounds awesome Good luck for the hospital teaching

I'm a mixture of really excited and really nervous :P Currently, I'm just preparing for university.

Any tips you can give for starting? :P

Also what is the teaching like?

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree to some extent. I think that having 12 A*'s at gcse shows the ability to cope well under pressure. Surely achieving the highest grade possible at many different subjects is more difficult than doing well in 3 which you have an aptitude for! Also, I would prefer my doctor to be a well rounded person rather than a science geek with no interpersonal skills 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    That sounds awesome Good luck for the hospital teaching

I'm a mixture of really excited and really nervous :P Currently, I'm just preparing for university.

Any tips you can give for starting? :P

Also what is the teaching like?
    Cheers!

I was exactly the same

Don't buy any books until you have actually started university. Try out a few from the library to see which ones you prefer. I haven't bought a single book yet since I just keep renewing the same ones from the library. It will save you a lot of money Stay organised and keep up with the work, it will make your life a lot easier when it comes nearer exam time. Make the most out of freshers week and try and meet as many people as possible plus have a good time.

So the style of teaching on my course is PBL, so essentially were given cases at the start of the week and throughout the week we research that particular case which is supplemented through 6 hours of lectures, 3 hours of anatomy and 2 hours of phys/pharm practical work. The cases link to a range of topics i.e physiology, pharmacology, anatomy, EBM, psychosocial. Then at the end of the week we meet up and discuss what we should of learnt during that week and help each other out with any gaps in our knowledge since people may go into more depth than others for particular topics. Our last semester was heart, lungs and blood therefore all the cases were linked to these. I'm really enjoying the course so far though.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers!

I was exactly the same

Don't buy any books until you have actually started university. Try out a few from the library to see which ones you prefer. I haven't bought a single book yet since I just keep renewing the same ones from the library. It will save you a lot of money Stay organised and keep up with the work, it will make your life a lot easier when it comes nearer exam time. Make the most out of freshers week and try and meet as many people as possible plus have a good time.

So the style of teaching on my course is PBL, so essentially were given cases at the start of the week and throughout the week we research that particular case which is supplemented through 6 hours of lectures, 3 hours of anatomy and 2 hours of phys/pharm practical work. The cases link to a range of topics i.e physiology, pharmacology, anatomy, EBM, psychosocial. Then at the end of the week we meet up and discuss what we should of learnt during that week and help each other out with any gaps in our knowledge since people may go into more depth than others for particular topics. Our last semester was heart, lungs and blood therefore all the cases were linked to these. I'm really enjoying the course so far though.
    Awesome! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLightBulb)
    Hey, don't worry about bad AS grades. You can always resit! Yes, it would be much easier if you had all As at AS when applying to uni in year 13 but honestly, as long as you get the AAA at A2 then you. Have good chances of getting into med school, even if you have to apply after results come out.

Failing that, there is always the opportunity to go for entry med. this is an additional year at uni (so make sure you actually want to do med) but it means that your AS grades don't have to be perfect and A2 offers can be as low as BBC at a medium uni like UEA. Plus, if you're quick you can apply for the UEA med school taster where if you get a place on that, you are guaranteed an interview in March 2015.

Hope this helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry what uni is UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXSimmyXX)
    sorry what uni is UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UEA is the University of East Anglia

ReputationRep:
    UEA is the University of East Anglia
    thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etc200996)
    I've wanted to do medicine for around 2 years now and last year I got 9A*s in my GCSEs so i thought i was pretty set if i continued doing what i was doing BUT i'm pretty sure i've done badly in my AS levels specifically chemistry and when i say bad i mean like 99.9% sure i failed chemistry. so i suppose i was just wondering what my options are if i do end up not getting required AS grades? in terms of applying?
    I got ABC at AS, Got into two schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zalzalla)
    I think for courses as prestigious as Medicine, you have to get the required result within the first sitting, as unis will not accept re-sitted exam results.
    Not for AS. Most don't like A2 resits, though.

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAB at AS, B in chemistry and had interviews from imperial and Kings. You just have to apply strategically - I had good GCSE's too so applied to places that looked at them (kings, Birmingham, Liverpool but look it up as they may have changed) and don't focus on AS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.