Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    So you don't take a holier than thou approach? Okay......you constantly do it throughout numerous threads.
    I don't really no, I'm not you.

You should know the people involved in the field/sector as well as having the subject knowledge or does networking not matter anymore? You wouldn't be the first politics student to get their foot into the door by joining or working with the opposition before making a move later on. Also I can't see how knowing more people in the current world can be a bad thing for networking and advancing your career.
    Do you have any idea how many people are involved in politics? It's far more beneficial to know the people involved in your local constituency party and your local councillors. Knowing the names of the UKIP front bench will do absolutely nothing for my career, not that I am looking to get into politics at the moment, and neither are the vast majority of people.

Not really. Each to their own. If I cared that much I'd still be with TSR UKIP on here but I'll live and let people live. Find your comments hilariously rich though given you parade into almost the vast majority of threads to promote Labour and like to bash most right wing beliefs.
    Well I don't post all that much about Labour actually, nor do I really promote them all that much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm out of this conversation anyway. The vast majority of those people are MEP's and given that we have laws and regulations set at EU level, any politics student worth their salt should know who they are and what they are doing. These are not your average campaigners from university giving out leaflets, they're MEP's who do have a say - granted UKIP turn their back on that say out of disgust with the EU as a political project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caedus)
    We do? How so? Nuclear power is a clean form of energy which could, quite easily, power every city in the world for the next 1000 years.
    Considering that the energy sources which we use today are going to run out possibly within our lifetimes, it is sensible to look at investing into energy solutions for the long term. As nuclear is a solution which can remain for about 40-60 years then be replaced it could be part of the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob-C)
    Considering that the energy sources which we use today are going to run out possibly within our lifetimes, it is sensible to look at investing into energy solutions for the long term. As nuclear is a solution which can remain for about 40-60 years then be replaced it could be part of the answer.
    Nuclear power, if needed, could last way beyond our lifetimes. My proposition is that we do more research into renewable energy before fully committing to it. Wind farms are clearly not the answer. They're inefficient, expensive, hideous (especially in 10 or so years when the white paint begins to fade) and require replacing every 20-25 years. We need more nuclear power stations in the meanwhile during which an efficient renewable solution can be researched/produced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    I'm out of this conversation anyway. The vast majority of those people are MEP's and given that we have laws and regulations set at EU level, any politics student worth their salt should know who they are and what they are doing. These are not your average campaigners from university giving out leaflets, they're MEP's who do have a say - granted UKIP turn their back on that say out of disgust with the EU as a political project.
    All this nasty personal stuff aside, DaveSmith is absolutely right.

Regardless of their MEP status, most UKIP guys are not really of any significance - not in the grand scheme of things. No matter what titles UKIP give them, they do not actually sit on the front benches...or any benches at all.

As such, not knowing of UKIP politicians is certainly not a sign of 'political ignorance.' The party as a whole is noteworthy. Its people are not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Regardless of their MEP status, most UKIP guys are not really of any significance - not in the grand scheme of things.
    You can't have it both ways.

Pro Europeans claim that we do have a say in Europe and can influence it and can change it to be better for us. If true this makes UKIP MEPs by default extremely important.

On the opposite end of the argument as UKIP have been saying, we don't actually have a say in Europe and MEPs are pointless in the grand scheme of things thus why very few feel its necessary to know who they are.

You are either undermining the status of an MEP to the point where they do not matter thus asking the question, 'why even be in the EU?' (Note I said EU only) or people are politically ignorant and illiterate of significant members that do have influence?

I knew someone would go down this line that MEPs are not significant which is hilarious. UKIP have themselves been banging that same bloody drum for ages.

So, what's it to be?

MEPs are either worth knowing due to playing an important role or they're not.......

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.