Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy92)
    P.s I do hope you get in touch and tell me you got the internship!

Is it trading you are interested in? If so, why are you applying to boutique banks?

There is a world of difference between trading and investment banking. They are two totally separate jobs, I assume you know that?
    Yes i will contact you when i get it haha, i am so determined, my next plan is to use Linkedin to contact alumni's at JP Morgan (Funnily enough i found 3 current employees in high position at JP who attended coventry).

Trading? urm no i'm not in love with charts and all those signals, i always told my lecturer that they were bull**** (Which was wrong of me) but my trading bitcoins wasn't done with the charts and moving averages, i reckon it was the entrepreneur in me. I monitored the prices and i used google alert to keep me informed of the news surrounding bitcoins, then when it hit a certain hype my gut instinct told me to go for it. I bought bitcoins when it was valued at $50 per coin and i sold the day it surpassed the price of gold at $1000. So i did quite well. But as for professional trading with all the quants and chart analysis? Nope not me.. I want to be more like what Michael Lewis was. The sales aspect of trading. But from my research the exit options are not so good.

So i decided to break in at M$A; pitchbooks and excel aren't so hard, and after a few years i would go into sales. That was/is my plan.

Lol ofourse i know the difference between IBD and S/T, i even know the starting salary.. I've been doing HOT research these last few months. Probably what makes me more determined.

This determination comes from my recent past, after A-levels i thought i was stupid. But since i got a first class - i feel like i can achieve whatever i want to if i just work harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flygirl64)
    Its just something i have always wanted to do, investment banking and trading. I actually traded bitcoins during the cryptocurrency bubble, coupled with reading liars poker; i guess i just fell in love with the lifestyle and industry really.

No i am not shrugging off any advice, prior to making this thread i wasn't even thinking of a masters but someone suggested it and now i've been looking at masters. But retaking Alevels are pointless because i've already inquired down that route. Sometime in june when i just received my results, i did my research and i met people who got BCC at Alevels and are in investment banking today. Banks ask for your Alevels at First sitting. So retaking Alevels are just a huge waste of time
    Investment banking and trading are two completely different things.

My firm doesn't ask for first sitting a levels. And goldman definitely didn't when I worked there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    According to certification anything other than a U is a pass

I would say Bulge Bracket is out of the question as you wont get past the automatic filters. You should continue to boutiques as you have been and apply to general grad jobs as a backup to avoid a gap on your CV

Sorry I meant a MBA is not worth it with out 4 years work experience. A masters is a great asset, use your time at university to network and try and get a leadership position at a Society so you have stuff to talk about at interview.
    Thanks, i'll continue with the boutiques and i'll go for the masters at imperial or Lse. I have gotten good feedback from the boutiques so far.

One more question, lets imagine i get a role at a boutique and pick up some experience, can i eventually work at a BB? or is it out of the question for life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    Investment banking and trading are two completely different things.

My firm doesn't ask for first sitting a levels. And goldman definitely didn't when I worked there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know investment banking and trading are different. I explained it earlier.

Have you been on mergerandinquisitions.com? or Askivy?

I crawl those daily, they don't recommend retaking Alevels. Most of the comments are from people like you who have worked in IBD and they say networking or + a masters will serve me better than retaking A-levels.

And when i was applying for JP, they asked for the dates i took those Alevels.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i'll continue with the boutiques and i'll go for the masters at imperial or Lse. I have gotten good feedback from the boutiques so far.

One more question, lets imagine i get a role at a boutique and pick up some experience, can i eventually work at a BB? or is it out of the question for life?
    If youve gotten good feedback chances are you will get an offer. The normal route is applying to grad schemes but no reason you cant go for a more niche role. Where are you applying to just random hedge funds of google ?

Yea sure if you can try your luck as an experienced hire in the future , although most people leave BBs and join small firms because of the pyramid nature of the big firms

ReputationRep:

I reckon you'd be better building your experience in a niche area at a boutique and then perhaps you can go for a larger IB as an 'experienced hire' or do an MBA, as after that they are increasingly less likely to care about your A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I
    networking or + a masters will serve me better than retaking A-levels.

This is definitely true. However, if it won't take you a lot of time and you can improve them a lot you might as well.

With regard to M&I: they give a lot of good advice. They also give some bad advice. They know a lot more than most applicants, but they do not know everything. In this case, I would say they gave silly advice, because you can perfectly easily network, do a masters, and retake a levels at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you've gotten good feedback chances are you will get an offer. The normal route is applying to grad schemes but no reason you cant go for a more niche role. Where are you applying to just random hedge funds of google ?

Yea sure if you can try your luck as an experienced hire in the future , although most people leave BBs and join small firms because of the pyramid nature of the big firms

Yeah because they don't ask for Alevels, all they ask me is my degree and when i say 1st class they're quite receptive. The best response i've gotten so far was when i asked him if i could intern for a few weeks and he was like "ummmm" i'll talk to my team and see what we can do.

I reckon its easier to cold call boutiques because they're much smaller so you get straight to the decision makers. Another HR woman at a different bank said she would call me back in 5 days, i'll have to chase that one up.

Urm no, what i did was get a list of boutique banks in london off Askivy.net and i made an excel spreadsheet with the name and number of each boutique. I then proceeded to call/email each. It was a small list, only 21 banks.

Im going to look for more lists tonight - its best when you cold email them at midnight or early hours of the morning because its the first thing they see.

Yeah i realised that people leave BB's for boutiques.. Why is that? Aren't BB'S the ones that pay more??

My next line of action totally depends on these responses from boutiques. If i get an internship and then a full time offer later, i could work there for 2-3yrs go and get my MBA and then apply at the BB's as an associate.

If not then its masters at Lse.

ReputationRep:
    This is definitely true. However, if it won't take you a lot of time and you can improve them a lot you might as well.

With regard to M&I: they give a lot of good advice. They also give some bad advice. They know a lot more than most applicants, but they do not know everything. In this case, I would say they gave silly advice, because you can perfectly easily network, do a masters, and retake a levels at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay i see what you mean hmmm. Retaking Alevels, does that include the learning or just the exams? i figure i can just pick up A-level economics and RAPE it easily haha.

You worked in IB before then i assume? How was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    I reckon you'd be better building your experience in a niche area at a boutique and then perhaps you can go for a larger IB as an 'experienced hire' or do an MBA, as after that they are increasingly less likely to care about your A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sounds like a plan. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because they don't ask for Alevels, all they ask me is my degree and when i say 1st class they're quite receptive. The best response i've gotten so far was when i asked him if i could intern for a few weeks and he was like "ummmm" i'll talk to my team and see what we can do.

I reckon its easier to cold call boutiques because they're much smaller so you get straight to the decision makers. Another HR woman at a different bank said she would call me back in 5 days, i'll have to chase that one up.

Urm no, what i did was get a list of boutique banks in london off Askivy.net and i made an excel spreadsheet with the name and number of each boutique. I then proceeded to call/email each. It was a small list, only 21 banks.

Im going to look for more lists tonight - its best when you cold email them at midnight or early hours of the morning because its the first thing they see.

Yeah i realised that people leave BB's for boutiques.. Why is that? Aren't BB'S the ones that pay more??

My next line of action totally depends on these responses from boutiques. If i get an internship and then a full time offer later, i could work there for 2-3yrs go and get my MBA and then apply at the BB's as an associate.

If not then its masters at Lse.
    Sounds good. Yea if you do an MBA you will deffo have a chance in the future , you could get a shot with out an MBA to many variables to say.

I think buy side PE pays more or people want fewer hours after 3 years of burning out as an analyst.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good. Yea if you do an MBA you will deffo have a chance in the future , you could get a shot with out an MBA to many variables to say.

I think buy side PE pays more or people want fewer hours after 3 years of burning out as an analyst.
    Thanks for the advice, it's looking decent so far, chased up my two leads today - The first guy asked me to give him two more days to speak to the equity team on my behalf and the other bank said she would put in a word for me with her supervisor as they have one internship role and i'm the first to apply.

None of them mentioned A-levels; sounds like Bulge brackets just use A-levels to cut off some more applicants because they receive too much applications.

Yeah i agree with you because a friend of my mum just left morgan stanley this summer. She was an associate, she went to havard to do her MBA and she said she doesn't plan on going back to IBD. When i asked her why she said she was tired.

I did ask her to put in a word for me way back in june, she sent my CV to an MD at morgan stanley but it's been a month now and i haven't heard anything from said MD lol. I wonder if she really sent my CV to this MD or did she lie to me..

ReputationRep:
    Okay i see what you mean hmmm. Retaking Alevels, does that include the learning or just the exams? i figure i can just pick up A-level economics and RAPE it easily haha.
    Well if you can just take the exams and do well then do them. But there's no point in redoing them and doing badly.

You worked in IB before then i assume? How was it?
    I spent 9 months total at goldman between my 'gap year' and a summer internship, 3 in S&T, 3 in DCM and 3 in regular IB. I found it interesting for the most part, especially in trading, but I was only ever in it to get a better job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, it's looking decent so far, chased up my two leads today - The first guy asked me to give him two more days to speak to the equity team on my behalf and the other bank said she would put in a word for me with her supervisor as they have one internship role and i'm the first to apply.

None of them mentioned A-levels; sounds like Bulge brackets just use A-levels to cut off some more applicants because they receive too much applications.

Yeah i agree with you because a friend of my mum just left morgan stanley this summer. She was an associate, she went to havard to do her MBA and she said she doesn't plan on going back to IBD. When i asked her why she said she was tired.

I did ask her to put in a word for me way back in june, she sent my CV to an MD at morgan stanley but it's been a month now and i haven't heard anything from said MD lol. I wonder if she really sent my CV to this MD or did she lie to me..
    Positive feedback is normally a good sign maybe just waiting for internal procedures

Public Companies tend to have rules against that sort of stuff, on some job applications you have to declare any family who also work for the company etc but if she was high up enough she could have arranged for you to shadow her etc

ReputationRep:
    Positive feedback is normally a good sign maybe just waiting for internal procedures

Public Companies tend to have rules against that sort of stuff, on some job applications you have to declare any family who also work for the company etc but if she was high up enough she could have arranged for you to shadow her etc

Yeah i'm still waiting lol don't want to be a pest that keeps calling them up. In the mean time i'm applying for a masters too.

Meh i gave up on morgan stanley anyways after a month went by.

Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Well if you can just take the exams and do well then do them. But there's no point in redoing them and doing badly.

I spent 9 months total at goldman between my 'gap year' and a summer internship, 3 in S&T, 3 in DCM and 3 in regular IB. I found it interesting for the most part, especially in trading, but I was only ever in it to get a better job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow sounds like fun. Let me guess you got AAA alevels and you attended an oxbridge university?

In it to get a better job? So what is this better job then? That i assume pays more than Goldman ??

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i have finished my exams and i got a first class from Coventry University. I graduate in November. My A-levels weren't the strongest - BBD is what i got.

During my final year i was too focused on trying to get a First class that i did not bother with Job applications.

Now i'm finding it hard to break into investment banking. I've been told that i have zero chance at getting a grad scheme immediately, that my best option is to get one or two internships under my belt and then apply for a grad scheme.

So far i have applied to maybe 18 internship vacancies, some haven't gotten back to me - its a mixture of boutique firms and bulge brackets.

I started most of my applications in June so most of the internship summer programs have closed. But i applied to the very few left.

Most of the boutique banks responded with "sorry not looking for interns now", some had reached the deadline, whilst a couple asked me to send my CV and cover letter. I got so frustrated that i called the equity manager of one of the boutiques- his assistant picked up and i asked her if i could shadow the man for a week or so - she told me she will get the HR director to call me within 7days. I gave her my number and we ended the call.

I have 3 Internship and one Grad-scheme applications with bulge brackets pending, and my aunt knows someone at a Bulge bracket who she forwarded my CV but haven't heard anything from them. I know i have zero chance of getting into a grad-scheme at a Bulge bracket, i must have applied for that lone grad scheme before i realized this.

Why is it so hard to get a damn internship? or am i just applying at the wrong time - too late? its still July I'm sure i can find one till September, my plan is to do a couple more internships and then start applying for analyst roles at Bulge brackets.

So any advice from you experienced folks will be appreciated, Also anyone in a similar boat to me feel free drop in a message with me or add some words of encouragement. Or tell me how you did it.

A first class may get you a job easily in retail or something but not in investment banking, you NEED internships. Thats what i've learnt so far.

What degree did you study ?? And good luck breaking in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 96jaimin96)
    What degree did you study ?? And good luck breaking in
    Hey i studied Financial Economics.

Thanks for the well wishes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy92)
    Hey,

I don't think you have any chance to be honest. You don't seem like you would be a good fit for a bank.

Have you thought about why you want to do Investment Banking?

I echo what the other posters have said regarding your A-Levels. They may not be a fail, but it's not good enough for a bank.

No one will care about your first from Coventry. Few people have heard of Coventry university, so it doesn't matter if you got a first from there. You should be proud of achieving that, but don't think for one minute that it gives you the right to have a place in an Investment Bank, there are students who have worked much much harder than you to achieve that. There are students who did manage to get internships and good grades at university, so why didn't you do both?

If you couldn't do that, how will you handle the intensity of working in a bank? You would be out within 2 years and all the effort just wouldn't be worth it.

I work in a BB bank, so I guess that adds some validation to these opinions.

Best of luck.

Guys, one of the boutique banks have just gotten back to me, one of the guys wants to meet me for lunch - is this some kind of trap interview or something???

ReputationRep:
    Guys, one of the boutique banks have just gotten back to me, one of the guys wants to meet me for lunch - is this some kind of trap interview or something???
    No, they just want to meet you to see what you are like. It's not an interview a such so as long as you don't do anything wrong you'll be fine. If you do something stupid, it'll be a deal-breaker.

Boutiques, because they don't have a crippling amount of applications, can afford to get someone to meet you to see if you'd be a good 'fit' or not.

They'll probably see why you're interested and what you want to do exactly, want to know your motivation; but more than this they'll be seeing if you can hold a decent conversation about anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.