Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My moment that I realised my life had changed around (going from well off to having nothing), when my **** of a dad caused our house to become repossessed and my mum told me we had nowhere proper to live and would cry to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    You shouldn't feel like that. I grew up with nothing, and I think most people that have nothing or very little strive to provide a life like you had for their children. You are appreciative and that's the main thing x
    Thank you my dad's parents were actually immigrants who were poor so he worked SO hard to get where he is and I'm so proud

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm glad to hear you're such a lovely person and aha my mum always made a point to tell me life isn't fair when I was growing up :lol:
    Thanks yeah but I try to make it a bit fairer

ReputationRep:
    I think I never really realised we were moderately well off because I always went to posh schools where unless you had a swimming pool, a pony and a tennis court you were poor. Talking to my boyfriend about how he used to get second hand toys for Christmas made me realise what a spoilt brat I used to be!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh horrible things though, hate creepy crawlies in the house. I got woken up yesterday morning with a MASSIVE spider plonked on my boob I freaked the **** out. Haven't spent any time in my room since.
    :lol: Yeah, spiders are pretty freaky-looking (especially tarantulas :afraid:).

ReputationRep:
    When we had 2 yachts because my parents had upgraded and not sold the old one yet... Lol

ReputationRep:
    Constantly feeling guilty when asking my mum for money. And then even when she gave me money to go out with my friends and have a 'nice time', I would always try to spend as little of it as possible and bring at least 1/2 of it back. If I spent all of it, I would feel guilty for days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    My moment that I realised my life had changed around (going from well off to having nothing), when my **** of a dad caused our house to become repossessed and my mum told me we had nowhere proper to live and would cry to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww man that's really sad I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    I think I never really realised we were moderately well off because I always went to posh schools where unless you had a swimming pool, a pony and a tennis court you were poor. Talking to my boyfriend about how he used to get second hand toys for Christmas made me realise what a spoilt brat I used to be!
    I'm sure you weren't a brat you can't be blamed for what family you were born into

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Thank you my dad's parents were actually immigrants who were poor so he worked SO hard to get where he is and I'm so proud

Thanks yeah but I try to make it a bit fairer
    You're welcome, and thank you for trying

ReputationRep:
    I've had the experience of both worlds. Up until the age of 14 we were pretty well off.

We owned a house in the south of france
    I had 4 horses
    I went to private school

Then the recession came,my mum got ill (she's the earner) my parents went bankrupt and we lost everything.

We had no heating, we all just had to sit round a fire to keep warm

We lived on tomato soup

We went through a stage of hiding whenever someone knocked on the door.

When I was 17 it all got better and my parents got back on their feet, we got a nice house, i got a mulberry handbag for christmas and we were back to our original financial state

However my dad left 7 months ago and took my mum to the cleaners and ditched me and my sister so now we're heading back in the bad direction. My mum got ill again so had to sell everything and now my sister and I are in a bit of a state because she can't afford to have us at home and both of us are students so have no money.

I guess I'm lucky though that I did experience what it felt like to have everything. It's taught me aswell alot of things about money and to avoid my parents mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Aww man that's really sad I'm sorry.
    No I'm happy it happened. It made me realise that you've got to appreciate things. But we worked our way back up, anyways! I don't think I would be able to have developed the aptitude to study if it wasn't for that and then I wouldn't be managing CrashMaths on YouTube/www.crashmaths.tk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    :lol: Yeah, spiders are pretty freaky-looking (especially tarantulas :afraid:).
    I'm actually not to bad with tarantulas it's the thin spindly ones I hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Got to commend him for keeping a straight face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    I've had the experience of both worlds. Up until the age of 14 we were pretty well off.

We owned a house in the south of france
    I had 4 horses
    I went to private school

Then the recession came,my mum got ill (she's the earner) my parents went bankrupt and we lost everything.

We had no heating, we all just had to sit round a fire to keep warm

We lived on tomato soup

We went through a stage of hiding whenever someone knocked on the door.

When I was 17 it all got better and my parents got back on their feet, we got a nice house, i got a mulberry handbag for christmas and we were back to our original financial state

However my dad left 7 months ago and took my mum to the cleaners and ditched me and my sister so now we're heading back in the bad direction. My mum got ill again so had to sell everything and now my sister and I are in a bit of a state because she can't afford to have us at home and both of us are students so have no money.

I guess I'm lucky though that I did experience what it felt like to have everything. It's taught me aswell alot of things about money and to avoid my parents mistakes.
    wow :/ it's scary how everything can just suddenly change like that.

ReputationRep:
    Got to commend him for keeping a straight face
    Oh, it worked for you? It isn't working on my screen, guess I'll undelete it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    No I'm happy it happened. It made me realise that you've got to appreciate things. But we worked our way back up, anyways! I don't think I would be able to have developed the aptitude to study if it wasn't for that and then I wouldn't be managing CrashMaths on YouTube/www.crashmaths.tk

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well then I'm glad you came out of it positively

ReputationRep:
    Aye children really don't need phones, it really confuses the hell out of me when I see a 7 year old with iphone. It's just like....why?

Also that shield you made sounds awesome

It sounds like your family was a bit worse off than mine before you were born, I've never asked my older siblings what their childhood was like but I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar to what you described.

Glad to hear your better off now.
    ye and when I did finally get a phone I barely even used it as well. Was just a waste of money really.

I used to run and jump around the garden pretending I was fighting the vicious chicken of Bristol from Monty Python. Thats kind of wear my username comes from lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Oh, it worked for you? It isn't working on my screen, guess I'll undelete it then.

Yeah it was working fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    Well then I'm glad you came out of it positively
    Awh thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    ye and when I did finally get a phone I barely even used it as well. Was just a waste of money really.

I used to run and jump around the garden pretending I was fighting the vicious chicken of Bristol from Monty Python. Thats kind of wear my username comes from lol.
    I do use my phone quite often, I had to have on when I was in high school because since we don't live in a great area and I'd often be coming home from my friends quite late my mum wasn't comfortable with me not having a phone on me for me to contact her or for her to contact me. Can get really cheap phones anyway, had a cheap simple phone for £8.99 once

and aha I did wonder about that :3

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.