Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Aristocratic - should I be ashamed? watch

ReputationRep:
    When people from lower/middle classes brag or even just humbly talk about their achievments or posessions etc, it's not deemed that bad. Usually because it took some earning to get there or something. When people who were born into better circumstances talk about their achievments or posessions it's percieved as snobbery and looking down on others. Usually because people in your position generally are snobby *******s. You just all get painted with the same brush I'm afraid, if you think you have it hard though, try being a muslim.

(I'm not a muslim but ignorance surrounding Islam is rife meaning if you have a beard and hail from the east = terrorist to ignorant people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amphiprion)
    When people from lower/middle classes brag or even just humbly talk about their achievments or posessions etc, it's not deemed that bad. Usually because it took some earning to get there or something. When people who were born into better circumstances talk about their achievments or posessions it's percieved as snobbery and looking down on others. Usually because people in your position generally are snobby *******s. You just all get painted with the same brush I'm afraid, if you think you have it hard though, try being a muslim.

(I'm not a muslim but ignorance surrounding Islam is rife meaning if you have a beard and hail from the east = terrorist to ignorant people)
    Most of the people I know who are like me are just regular people who are anything but snobs, it's only the older generations that tend to be like that now. Yeah, Islamaphobia is becoming quite prevalent. I, myself, detest the religion but not the people who practice it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriel96)
    Most of the people I know who are like me are just regular people who are anything but snobs, it's only the older generations that tend to be like that now. Yeah, Islamaphobia is becoming quite prevalent. I, myself, detest the religion but not the people who practice it.
    Yeaaaaaaa, I'm very anti-religion in general to be honest. Like you though I've no problem with people who practice it within reason.

I'm afraid you just got stuck with legacy rep from, literally, probably the victorians lol.

ReputationRep:
    Damn that girl was like a reverse gold digger. Put off by the fact you're rich. What are the chances of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Damn that girl was like a reverse gold digger. Put off by the fact you're rich. What are the chances of that?
    It wasn't a girl and I wouldn't say "rich" really, well off but not rich. I wish I was mate! haha

ReputationRep:
    He did use non gender-specific adjectives when talking about the person he dated so don't know why you'd assume it was a girl. If anything I assumed it was a guy and clearly I was right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilygal)
    He did use non gender-specific adjectives when talking about the person he dated so don't know why you'd assume it was a girl. If anything I assumed it was a guy and clearly I was right
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilygal)
    Same reason you assumed it was a guy.

ReputationRep:
    Same reason you assumed it was a guy.
    Assumptions are never good.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, just be careful not to flaunt it around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filthy_pup)
    Zeni, to be honest you clearly don't "get" it.

Going to a public school is extremely important to someone from a refined family. Not going to such a school is almost accepting "defeat", that you have declined in the importance or wealth of your family. And do you know how much it costs to send a boy to Eton or Winchester? You have to put aside hundreds of thousands of pounds to send two boys to public school.

And I'm certain Gabriel's comment about heating the house was something of a comic remark, though not entirely. Do you know how much it costs to heat a 50-room house?

All in all, your judgmental, sneering attitude does you no credit Zeni. It merely confirms a guy like Gabriel has little to learn from you
    That's what I mean. It costs far too much to send a boy to eton and people should not have that sort of money to throw around. Not when there is so much poverty right under their noses. Whether or not they have an 'establioshed' family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeniB)
    Not ashamed, no. It just gets to me how some people (like the royals) live privileged lives simply because of some battle that took place hundreds of years ago. It's not fair that some people are born with all the advantages whilst others, either because of family or location of birth, are not given those advantages. That's what I have an issue with, like, why the hell did Prince Charles get into Cambridge? No reason at all other than the fact he's Prince Charles. And that's not fair. That's why I resent people like you - on principle of the fact that you have so many advantages and such a privileged life relative to others, and you haven't even worked for that. It's so wrong.D
    Why is it any less fair than some people being born intelligent and others not? People don't choose their genes or upbringing, and it's not obvious why someone who gets into Cambridge because they were lucky enough to be born intelligent deserves it (in a moral sense) any more than someone who gets in because they were born into a nice family.

(I agree that there may be practical societal advantages of having smart people attend good universities, but these aren't really related to 'fairness' in the sense I think you mean)

ReputationRep:
    yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    Why is it any less fair than some people being born intelligent and others not? People don't choose their genes or upbringing, and it's not obvious why someone who gets into Cambridge because they were lucky enough to be born intelligent deserves it (in a moral sense) any more than someone who gets in because they were born into a nice family.

(I agree that there may be practical societal advantages of having smart people attend good universities, but these aren't really related to 'fairness' in the sense I think you mean)
    'From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.'

The world needs highly educated people for the common good, but obscenely rich people benefits no one apart from the people themselves really.

ReputationRep:
    Just act like a normal person and you'll be okay, don't talk about your offshore Swiss bank accounts and how many castles you own or how the serfs are getting on you nerves. I know normal isn't really a thing, but people won't like you if you keep talking about your castles.

And you have to accept that people will make jokes like what I've just done, it's called banter and you'll see the very best of friends exchange insults and be totally cool (cool as in good, not as in temperature) with it. That is how we plebs roll (not as in rolling around as in how we are).

And remember when the revolution comes you need side with the people (commoners, bumpkins, plebeians and serfs). Not these guys: :hat: :fatcontroller:

ReputationRep:
    The problem you have is that because you've got quite a rare privilege, you're naturally more hateable. Which like it or not is the truth. Theres a difference between a working class lad bragging about his summer holiday's and a Lord. Don't let this put you off mixing with people, but at the same time don't be ashamed of who you are. You just have to put in the extra effort not to come across as arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetrickyfox)
    To quote Mewtwo: "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

People worth knowing won't judge you on the circumstances of your birth and you shouldn't feel ashamed of them, whatever they may be.
    You Madame have won the internet. I hope I remember this post for the rest of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeniB)
    Statistics recently showed that the five richest families in Britain have more money put together than the poorest 120,000 - does this really seem fair to you? Probably not
    I'm actually surprised that the gap is that small.

ReputationRep:
    We don't pick the families we're born in to, so there's no real reason to be proud or ashamed of who we are I think. Provided you are not full of yourself because of your roots (which it doesn't sound like you are) there's no reason you couldn't make friends with every other working class kid you come across.

As for the reverse snobbery thing you mention, to be honest I think it's justified, or at least partially justified, because aristocracy represented (and to some extent still does represent) a deep-set inequality in our society based on both wealth and class deference. It's something I think we should be moving on from now to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that traditionally immense privilege was offset by great modesty, extremely good manners, a genuine grasp of the living conditions of the less fortunate, commitments to charity, a lack of conspicuous consumption, hiding of intellect and a self deprecatory nature and a range of other characteristics. These qualities have largely vanished and we are now left with what amounts to yobbish nouveau riche chavs with a sense of entitlement and superiority quite frequently accompanied by truly shocking standards of personal behaviour. This is why they are in the main utterly despised by normal people.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.