Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mum's open to it, whilst my dad would prefer a nice West African man for me.

ReputationRep:
    My mom wanted to sell me to this Kenyan guy for a bunch of camels. Or maybe she was joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickfloss)
    funny that, most indian parents i know would rather have their kids date a muslim, or even a pak, then to date a black guy.

unless of course that black guy was a doctor

What is so undesirable about black men?

ReputationRep:
    My parents have always been quite traditional and preferred I dated someone of my race. They were quite skeptical and not too accepting of my current relationship but really, there's nothing much they can do to change that and I think they know that so they're beginning to slowly accept it. I suppose what really matters is when they see how happy you are and hopefully that will change their views.

ReputationRep:
    Parents could not care less really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they care that much. They would probably prefer him to follow the same religion (to make it easier when bringing up children and that )

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't care. (I'm black Nigerian).

lol my dad said once, ''don't ever think of bringing an indian into this house'' - haha, good things indians don't like black girls.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I never realized how racist people were, until now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JanitaTwain)
    Tbh, I know a lot of people will have racist parents, the disappointing part is when it's passed down a generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JanitaTwain)
    It's sad but get used to it. Most people are racist, even the ones who preach on about how liberal and tolerant they are. I find it hard to believe this disease will ever come down to a non-worrying level, talkless of being eliminated.

ReputationRep:
    As a parent I'm totally relaxed on the matter, there are far more important things in life to be concerned about.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about my dad, but my mum would hate it if I date anyone who isn't Bengali. She's in for a nice surprise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    I'm mixed so my parents don't care.
    I don't date black guys though and I'm part black. Just preference.
    Doesn't matter if you're part black, you're still thinking like a racist. To think an entire group of people are not worth your attention merely because of skin colour is racist, 'preference' is not a good enough cover-up. Hitler also 'preferred' a Jewless world. White supremacists and nationalists simply 'prefer' a world without non-whites. If you discriminate in some way based on colour, you're racist. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    Not sure about my dad, but my mum would hate it if I date anyone who isn't Bengali. She's in for a nice surprise!
    What's the surprise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstraction)
    Doesn't matter if you're part black, you're still thinking like a racist. To think an entire group of people are not worth your attention merely because of skin colour is racist, 'preference' is not a good enough cover-up. Hitler also 'preferred' a Jewless world. White supremacists and nationalists simply 'prefer' a world without non-whites. If you discriminate in some way based on colour, you're racist. It's that simple.

LOL it is SO not racist to have preferences. I've been with black and mixed black guys before. They simply don't appeal to me. I can appreciate there are some gorgeous black guys, they just aren't for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    What's the surprise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When the time comes, I'll tell her about this non-Bengali girl I want to marry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    When the time comes, I'll tell her about this non-Bengali girl I want to marry.
    What is she?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    They couldn't care less. Probably because they're not backwards retards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    What is she?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Afghani. Should be noted that my mum hates Pakistanis the most.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know how my parents would react because practically everyone is my immediate and extended family married Asians,
    But I'm attracted to white guys and Asians anyway so I'm sure they'd be okay with it (well at least I hope so)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.