Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people dislike Windows 8(.1)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Want to expand on that? Guessing you've just read that on some dodgy website and are now regurgitating it in an effort to sound clued up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I don't quite understand, there are a few annoying quirks, but the main reasons people seem to complain are:
    1) Modern UI
    2) No start menu

But, are either of these really reasons to hate? If you don't like Modern UI, don't use it, there are a couple of things which force you into the modern UI, but most people will barely touch these things.
    No start menu? Download one And anyway, when they will bring it back in windows 9 I will barely use it (apart from the functionality that remains in 8 via right clicking the windows icon).
    The only other slightly annoying thing is the really derpy default programs, but they're easy enough to change.
    Give me one valid killer reason why Windows 8 is better than 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Give me one valid killer reason why Windows 8 is better than 7.
    It has better integration with various different applications on a system. Sky Drive would be one.

I can give you more reasons if you like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    It has better integration with various different applications on a system. Sky Drive would be one.

I can give you more reasons if you like?
    Gonna have to do better than some integration with services that are inferior to Google's suite of tools.

Try again.

ReputationRep:
    Gonna have to do better than some integration with services that are inferior to Google's suite of tools.

Try again.
    Hmm, if you insist.

The booting on Windows 8 is something quite superior to Windows 7, with the newer OS lower input/output operations are created to access the booting parameters, therefore leading to quicker booting

There's probably no impressing you anyway Vlad :P

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, if you insist.

The booting on Windows 8 is something quite superior to Windows 7, with the newer OS lower input/output operations are created to access the booting parameters, therefore leading to quicker booting

I have an SSD.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, if you insist.

I actually found, if anything, win7 to be faster than 8.1 using a SSD

ReputationRep:
    I actually found, if anything, win7 to be faster than 8.1 using a SSD
    Don't you pull this stunt. I was defending you. *Stares deeply into Jammy's soul*

Even then Windows 8 has more efficient booting (Don't make me go into specifics of how it is.)

ReputationRep:
    I have an SSD.

Should've guessed :P

Well, for people without an SSD it provides a faster booting time. The PC I'm using doesn't have an SSD, it's a spare since my primary use PC recently failed.

-------
    This might be irrelevant to this topic/thread, but why are some words being filtered to stars -.-
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Don't you pull this stunt. I was defending you. *Stares deeply into Jammy's soul*

Even then Windows 8 has more efficient booting (Don't make me go into specifics of how it is.)
    I know, I was just stating my observations that, on a relatively new SSD at least, it doesn't seem any better.

Tbh, no one feature makes it better (unless you're using touch screen, in which case to say 7 is better is just a sign of idiocy) rather its the collection of quite a few little things.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I was just stating my observations that, on a relatively new SSD at least, it doesn't seem any better.

Tbh, no one feature makes it better (unless you're using touch screen, in which case to say 7 is better is just a sign of idiocy) rather its the collection of quite a few little things.
    Well yeah, obviously overall Windows 7 is a better Operating System, but despite that Windows 8 is quite likeable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, obviously overall Windows 7 is a better Operating System, but despite that Windows 8 is quite likeable.
    Personally, I prefer 8.1 quite a bit, can't really think of anything I miss from 7 but some of the newer functions such as the better search function and the more extended admin shortcuts on the start menu, per se, are soooo much nicer than on 7.

ReputationRep:
    Should've guessed :P

Well, for people without an SSD it provides a faster booting time. The PC I'm using doesn't have an SSD, it's a spare since my primary use PC recently failed.

-------
    This might be irrelevant to this topic/thread, but why are some words being filtered to stars -.-
    Because someone dun goof'd.

ReputationRep:
    Because someone dun goof'd.
    Should've thought so.

I cannot get over your avatar, or whatever they call it

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I prefer 8.1 quite a bit, can't really think of anything I miss from 7 but some of the newer functions such as the better search function and the more extended admin shortcuts on the start menu, per se, are soooo much nicer than on 7.
    Meh, I want to get Windows 8 Professional on my PC so I can get client Hyper-V for some machine virtualization, once I get this sorted out I can consider adding the MCSA to my certificate hit list.

ReputationRep:
    Its terrible. I've resorted to using window key + s to search whenever I need to do anything because the U.I is all over the place.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Its terrible. I've resorted to using window key + s to search whenever I need to do anything because the U.I is all over the place.
    So you mean you've resorted to the better way? I think that's one of the best improvements from 7 (apart from it booting faster for all those people still using HDDs)

ReputationRep:
    So you mean you've resorted to the better way? I think that's one of the best improvements from 7 (apart from it booting faster for all those people still using HDDs)
    IMO having to search is not a good design.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    IMO having to search is not a good design.
    Which is faster, a search function that takes less than a second to access and maybe 2 to do the search, or having to spend several seconds trawling through the menus to find it? The search function saves, in the long run, A LOT of time.

ReputationRep:
    Which is faster, a search function that takes less than a second to access and maybe 2 to do the search, or having to spend several seconds trawling through the menus to find it? The search function saves, in the long run, A LOT of time.
    Still prefer menus relying on search is too abstract. I'd prefer to have a mental image of where everything is. Maybe that will come as I use it more but imo its not intuitive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.