The Student Room Group

Minimum amount of money you need to find before handing it in?

Scroll to see replies

I'd take a couple of hundred. Any more though, and I'd have to think long and hard. Don't wanna get my legs cut off by an angry drug dealer.
Reply 41
I'd never hand it in, lol
I wouldn't hand it in, but that doesn't mean I'd keep it (necessarily). Partly depends on where I found it.

For example, if I found it at a cash point I would probably keep it (I know this is awful) as long as I couldn't see the clear owner cos I know the bank would most likely return it to its rightful owner (so I feel like I'm stealing from the bank rather than the person).

On the other hand, if I happened to find it on the street (especially if it was a large amount, over £50) I'd probably just leave it there, my reasoning being if I lost that kind of money I'd expect someone to take it. I might return to the place where I thought I'd lost it or retrace my steps, but it would not occur to me to think that someone would have handed it in, if I didn't find it there I would just assume someone had taken it. So by returning it I'd feel like I'm contributing to someone not getting their money back.
Original post by Delciate
i have been known to find 10p and not take it. Stems from a general distrust of people..what if it's a trap? :s-smilie:

That and I'd like to think that the whole do unto others (e.g. whoever lost the money) as you would have them do unto you thing isn't utter bull.

That's perfectly normal.

For a paranoid psycho person.
> £100 no wallet?

Hand it in.

Any amount of money in a wallet?

Hand it in.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know! I'd feel really bad if I took anyone's money even if I had just found it lying. I really think that it depends but I would probably hand it in. Looking at other posts I'm probably going to sound pretty weak-minded at saying about £5 before handing it in. Oh well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends. I'd pick up £20 on the street or in a field, but if I was at a school fete or something I'd hand it in. If it was in a wallet, or had any way of identifying the person I'd hand it in regardless of the amount. If I found £100 in an envelope in a field or on the street I'd keep it, but upwards I'd probably hand it in. If I found 1k in a bush, in a bag or something, I believe I'd keep it, but anything up I'd hand it in/call the police.
give out the money to the rpsca
Original post by Dr. Robert
I'd take a couple of hundred. Any more though, and I'd have to think long and hard. Don't wanna get my legs cut off by an angry drug dealer.

Yeah, fear of getting tied up into a weird crime ring is what would keep me from keeping thousands of pounds. (Who except criminals would walk around with thousands of pounds in cash???)
I think it depends on where it is really. If there was any amount of money somewhere where there was say, a desk or a reception, I'd probably hand it in, because someone who's lost money could go and ask if it's been found.

However, if I found a note in the road or the middle of nowhere, I think I'd probably keep anything up to £50. And then I'd probably give it to charity :tongue: Mainly because if I'd lost anything under that, I doubt I'd bother going to the police.

(Assuming that it was just the money and not a wallet/purse - then I'd hand it in regardless)
As many people say, anything under ~£50 seems too insubstantial to hand in, and then with the frequency with which people lose money (especially if you live in a large city) and the fact that near where I live/in the bits of said large city I inhabit most people are unlikely to claim anything below that amount, it seems rather a waste of time.

Also, if everybody adopts this policy then on average nobody is that much worse of.

That being said, if the money was in any way marked (i.e. in an envelope, in a wallet, etc.) I would of course hand it in, because it would be a) much easier to identify and b) carried with more purpose I guess? Like, if you put money in an envelope and carry it then it feels like you would be more likely to go and try claiming it (at least, in all instances I can think of I would be).

The whole 'you don't deserve it' argument is silly, you don't deserve most of what you have, it is yours by virtue of where you were born. £50 is far too little to redress the already existing inequality in the world, though if giving it to charity makes you feel better I guess everybody is better of.
I'd probably keep anything under 100.

If it's in a wallet or with some kind of ID though I'd of course not take it.
If it was in a wallet and there was some kind of positive ID to it then I'd make an effort to return it to the rightful owner. A few months ago picked up a wallet and I traced the owner by calling up the bank that issued his credit card. I asked the bank to contact him and get him to contact me. Weirdly enough 5 minutes later he contacted me.

If there is no ID to it then I will take a look at how much is in it, if it is just a small amount then I'd send it to the nearest police, small amount here means less than £100, now if it was more than that and unmarked usually there would be a certain amount of illegality to it, most likely it was from drugs, criminal activity or gambling or something along those lines. In such situations I always look for the nearest church or temple and place it in their donation box.
If it was in a wallet, I would hand it in. Also, if there was any kind of contact info, I would hand it in. If I found £100 and it had no contact info, I don't think I would hand that in. If it was £500, I would hand that in. Not worth taking someone's drug money.

I would never have £100 in cash on me, but if I lost that, I'd never expect anybody to hand it in. You'd have to be extremely lucky for someone to do so.
Anything above £20 I think. It would usually involve finding more than one note so I'd liken it more to a wallet (even if it was just two notes stuck together) than I might with a single note. Single note rule for me, if it's by itself I'll keep it, if not I'll probably hand it in.

This does mean I'd keep a £50 note but hand in two £20s so my answer is a bit inconsistent.
Lol . Finders keepers .

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 56
Surely the bigger cash amount you find the less likely you are to give it in, for example
Of course really if anything you want to keep the higher amounts...
Original post by Dilzo999
That's perfectly normal.

For a paranoid psycho person.

Right. Please go ahead and insult me for NOT taking lost money.

See my parents did this really barbaric thing, where they taught me right from wrong. Who knows what good they thought would come out of doing that?!
(edited 9 years ago)
There's a curve I think. Small amounts don't seem worth bothering amount. Larger amounts say in an envelope could be old persons pension they've dropped, or someone's savings for a deposit on something which I'd feel I'd have to hand in.

If I found a briefcase or big bag of cash, I'd figure it was probably gained through illicit means so probably keep it, unless it went all 'No Country for Old Men' with someone trying to find the money (I'd check for a tracking device).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending