Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice Moody)
    I agree. with my Biology, i got an E. i got a B in the course work, a C in one unit and U in another. surely these together would be a D??
    Depends on how high the B, C and U are in terms of UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifidi)
    Hi
    My son has requested photocopies of the maths papers that he wants to look into, with the hope that if he/ maths teacher can see something worth extra marks then he will be in time for requesting a re mark of the unit with edexcel (and also in time to put unit grades on his UCAS which school submit in October). School have said the deadline for students to do this is 21st of August (board deadline is 22nd I think), so he took the form / payment in today (approx £10 per photocopy).
    If you are an AS student this may be an option that helps.
    If you are an A level student then you have the priority services which say they aim to get back to you within 18 days (!). It is likely they will be quicker than this as they can send electronically.
    Good luck with this difficult time.
    Hi is the form you filled in called 'review of marking request' by any chance? I filled this form in and sent it to them electronically, I really hope they get back to me soon I stated I wanted an ATS copy (to view the photocopy of the scripts) I just want to double check if I filled in the correct form...

ReputationRep:
    they didn't mark maths papers properly.

ReputationRep:
    I have a theory: with all exams being in the summer, I think examiners felt pressured into marking each paper quickly in order to finish marking for the deadline and results day. Thus, papers were marked less thoroughly, and many people got results they really shouldn't have.
    I don't want to blame anyone else for my personal incompetence, but I was expecting close to 100 in economics unit 1 and M1 and I got back 77 and 83? I was so shocked, especially cause I got a B in economics when I got 90%+ in almost all school assessments throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting 71/75 in C3. It appears I got 88 umssomehow even though the 90 ums threshold was quite low this yeah. Something is definitely up.. it cost me my A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maiisiie08)
    I think scripts are basically copies of your exam paper, so you can look through them w inith a teacher and see if you were marked fairly. I've been told to request my scripts back so they can be checked and then remarked if necessary, though I'm probably gonna get them remarked regardless just because I was so shocked with the results, though maybe speak to your teacher about what they recommend.

What subject is this for?
    This is biology and now that I think about it I rather request a copy of maths too as that was 4 UMS off an A.

Anyone know how long scripts take to receive and also how long it will take for unpriority/priority remarking? Would doing both one after the other exceed the deadline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbdulKoyes)
    This is very true. Edexcel actually give a bonus if examiners mark all the exam papers they are allocated in quick time
    People that do marking mostly don't do it for the money but experience you get that could be transferred into teaching, that's my experience. While mistakes may happen there is also the possibility of some students that felt confident after the exam to have misunderstood the question or not done it as well as they thought. I got one script back from a student that was expecting a higher grade and I agreed with the marking, very good analysis provided but repetitive points and brief/limited evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliOkayama)
    I have a theory: with all exams being in the summer, I think examiners felt pressured into marking each paper quickly in order to finish marking for the deadline and results day. Thus, papers were marked less thoroughly, and many people got results they really shouldn't have.
    I don't want to blame anyone else for my personal incompetence, but I was expecting close to 100 in economics unit 1 and M1 and I got back 77 and 83? I was so shocked, especially cause I got a B in economics when I got 90%+ in almost all school assessments throughout the year.
    Solid theory. I would definitely agree!

ReputationRep:
    AQA are better with their marking tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    People that do marking mostly don't do it for the money but experience you get that could be transferred into teaching, that's my experience. While mistakes may happen there is also the possibility of some students that felt confident after the exam to have misunderstood the question or not done it as well as they thought. I got one script back from a student that was expecting a higher grade and I agreed with the marking, very good analysis provided but repetitive points and brief/limited evaluation.
    Would you agree that its strange for a great biology student to get all U's in all his units when he was aiming for an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naby08)

Anyone know how long scripts take to receive and also how long it will take for unpriority/priority remarking? Would doing both one after the other exceed the deadline?
    If you request papers back how long it takes depends on the examination board. The quickest one is Edexcel then OCR, AQA takes ages since most scripts hard copies not scanned. If you request a script you cannot have priority marking so I would recommend priority marking for A2 student and request scripts for AS students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexKay99)
    Hi is the form you filled in called 'review of marking request' by any chance? I filled this form in and sent it to them electronically, I really hope they get back to me soon I stated I wanted an ATS copy (to view the photocopy of the scripts) I just want to double check if I filled in the correct form...
    Hi
    School do their own forms, but essentially yes, it had 'copy' in the title and it was a bit more expensive than the original script return. If it was edexcel it was about £10.30, OCR £9.90, AQA £12.73, all approx.
    Hope it goes well for you.
    Edit: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages...bout%20results
    I scrolled down quite a bit to find ATS copy

ReputationRep:
    Would you agree that its strange for a great biology student to get all U's in all his units when he was aiming for an A*?
    I cannot speculate but from the evidence provided it sounds strange. However those are probably outliers and not the norm, there is a lot of back reading involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbdulKoyes)
    Depends on how high the B, C and U are in terms of UMS
    low B, think a low C, and i think a mid U??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyfrog2_10)
    AQA are better with their marking tbh.
    AQA , OCR and Edexcel have similar procedure during the marking process.

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading a lot of posts by people studying with edexcel, who used to get As in their subject and ended up with E's and U's. A friend of mine has the same problem with biology. I think Edexcel might have screwed up a lot this exam season, either they marked them incorrectly or there were some mistakes.

Anyone agree?
    Hmm, I defiantly want to agree, although I think it just might be my own stupidity rather than Edexcel's fault though! Haha!

I received a D overall in history, which shocked me a little. I'd consistently gotten B/As in all past papers and mocks, and in my exams got an E and a D!
    Ironically, the E was the exam out of all of mine that I thought went the best! I loved the questions, knew (or thought I knew!) the answer, had done the most revision for etc.. And it was my worst exam (by a LONG shot! I'm not exactly a E grade student!)

Although in politics, which is by Edexcel as well I got strong As in both papers, and ironically again, I got my best result in the exam I thought went the worst out of all of them!

I think everyone just messes up from time to time. After all, we hadn't done January exams so there was no real forecast of how we'd all do. I think I must of just cracked under pressure, history is (- or 'was') my future and I really needed to exceed it in above all, so I think I just melted haha!

It is defiantly worth investigating though if you feel hard done by!

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading a lot of posts by people studying with edexcel, who used to get As in their subject and ended up with E's and U's. A friend of mine has the same problem with biology. I think Edexcel might have screwed up a lot this exam season, either they marked them incorrectly or there were some mistakes.

Anyone agree?
    No. Our school has had about 20 photocopies back from Edexcel so far and of the 15 or so teachers have looked at they all appear accurately marked +/- 1 mark. We've had 3 re-marks back and one has changed by 2.

ReputationRep:
    Naw edexcel didnt screw me over this season

But one time i got a B in an exam (C2) and as i was really good at maths and expected near full marks (my arrogant days ) I was furious. i requested my script and i found I made very silly mistakes so i understood the lower grade was my fault not theres.

Not saying they never make errors (one time they cost this guy a uni offer when it actually wasnt his fault...) but dont jump to any conclusions

ReputationRep:

Anyone agree?
    They gave me 93.6% for Business Studies, so nah, I'm pleased with the beasts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    I cannot speculate but from the evidence provided it sounds strange. However those are probably outliers and not the norm, there is a lot of back reading involved.
    He got almost all U's and two E's (which were barely just Es) like I said he is an A student..he would have had to write nothing but his name on the exam paper to get that and on top of it all, he got special consideration as well but he wasn't that sick as to fail his best subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.