Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    It means you accept the uni place but take a gap year knowing that after the gap year you are going to uni. (I think)
    yes I thought so... but if their results are bad then surely the good uni will reject them so you can only do it with lower-ranked ones through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    i resat my AS. i can tell you from experience it'll be awkward when your friends are talking about starting uni and you are still doing your a levels. academically and career wise its very beneficial. its up to you. id go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    Take the offer whilst it's still there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekene.smith)
    but i keep on reading on different articles that if you don't make it to a russell group university then there is no point of going to uni
    That's simply not true - and often, the teaching is better at post-92 universities: you'll get more attention, you won't be fobbed off with PhD students as your tutors, and your staff will be available to support you, instead of telling you that you're not important because their real job is research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinejuice)
    i resat my AS. i can tell you from experience it'll be awkward when your friends are talking about starting uni and you are still doing your a levels. academically and career wise its very beneficial. its up to you. id go to uni!

Nah not really, I went to college leaving all my friends behind and made friends with 3rd years, I didnt find a bit akward that they redone a year. Neither did they. Sometimes you got to do what you got to.

Plus one of my friend right now is taking a gap year and I am encouraging him. I expected from A's from him. :P

ReputationRep:
    It will be okay to resit them if you do them but if you already have an offer take it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzba)
    I'd say if you KNOW you have the motivation to go back to resit your A-levels, do it. But for me, going to swansea university gave me a kick up the arse. If you achieve in your first year of uni, you can always transfer.
    What did you dislike so much about Swansea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mit0sis)
    I think so yeah, at the minute me and my head of sixth form still need to work out the logistics of it because of the whole changes to funding that have happened and I want to resit and AS instead of an A2 (for biology) but in order to do that I might need to be entered for an A2 exam anyway, we still have a lot of figuring out to do :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey was wondering did your college let to retake?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering is anyone retaking law, government and politics and history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    I think you should take a gap year and retake them and opt for a deferred entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hi, im in a smilar position but dont want to go to my insurance... can i call them and tell them to save me a place for next year just in case? so i can retake exams and apply for other unis this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugoalmeida)
    hi, im in a smilar position but dont want to go to my insurance... can i call them and tell them to save me a place for next year just in case? so i can retake exams and apply for other unis this year?
    No. You can't hold a place and apply elsewhere as well. You will have to give up the place you hold. You need to make your mind up. Term will be starting very soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lost_hope)
    Hi, I was wondering is anyone retaking law, government and politics and history?
    Hi! I am actually retaking modules in law aqa unit 1+3 and aqa history unit 1. I am also picking up As politics, and resitting some modules in business studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Hi! I am actually retaking modules in law aqa unit 1+3 and aqa history unit 1. I am also picking up As politics, and resitting some modules in business studies
    hey, for AQA history unit 1 is it totalitarian ideology in theory and practice and what exam board are you doing for government and politics, I do edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    hey, for AQA history unit 1 is it totalitarian ideology in theory and practice and what exam board are you doing for government and politics, I do edexcel.
    No unit 1 history for me is change and consolidation, and for government and politics I am doing edexcel aswell

ReputationRep:
    Hey I need to retake unit 2 government and politics edexl I got a A and a U and its burning me. I'm going to uni this year though was hoping to do it on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelaMelaMela)
    Hey I need to retake unit 2 government and politics edexl I got a A and a U and its burning me. I'm going to uni this year though was hoping to do it on the side.
    Yh i'm retaking unit 2 government and politics i got 73 (B) and in unit 1 i got 88 and in total i got 310 so ten marks of A so i'm, retaking that topic to boost my grade up.

ReputationRep:
    No unit 1 history for me is change and consolidation, and for government and politics I am doing edexcel aswell
    hey are you retaking in school or taking it as a external student and hiring private tutors?

ReputationRep:
    hey are you retaking in school or taking it as a external student and hiring private tutors?
    I'm retaking as a private student, and going to rely on some teachers from last year who will probably allow me to come to their workshops and mark some work. However, when I start really getting in to my past papers from February onwards I will definitely hire a tutor for law and business to give me guidance on my exam technique. There is also some law tutors in my area who worked at commercial firms so it might be useful to get a bit of an insight of them about what work is like etc. I would just present a load of work to them in the session though and ask them to go through it with me rather than learn any content as I have the spec textbooks and my knowledge from the previous 2 years

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking as a private student, and going to rely on some teachers from last year who will probably allow me to come to their workshops and mark some work. However, when I start really getting in to my past papers from February onwards I will definitely hire a tutor for law and business to give me guidance on my exam technique. There is also some law tutors in my area who worked at commercial firms so it might be useful to get a bit of an insight of them about what work is like etc. I would just present a load of work to them in the session though and ask them to go through it with me rather than learn any content as I have the spec textbooks and my knowledge from the previous 2 years
    Yh i'm planning to do the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Praggy)
    a russel group uni is just a research intensive university that get a bit more funding. Queen Marys is a RG uni but theyre not exactly the one of the best of unis out there. I would put more focus on the availability of a year in industry/placement to make your employers know youre not just a bookworm who has a good memory but also someone with application skills
    It became Russell group in 2012 only 2 years ago..With exeter/Durham etc .. which are overhyped! !

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.