Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Retaking A2s as an external student watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachrl03)
    Ok, I'll probably email my college and ask because I'm not sure what exam boards my old school do their a-levels with. I haven't even started my UCAS app yet, I'll probably start it sometime this week, I'm still not sure what unis I want to apply to yet :/ I'm slightly worried about re-writing my personal statement because I liked my last one and I can't see how I'm going to re-write it to be honest. and I think it'd be best to get a tutor to write my reference, I didn't get along too well with some of my old teachers and the one I did get along with has retired I'll probably send off my UCAS app in November as well, thats around the time I did it last year Yeah I'm kinda glad I decided not to go through clearing, now I just need to get organised with everything

This might sound like a stupid question, but when resitting A2 do you know if you can you resit individual modules or do you have to do all of them at the same time? Only asking as my results were quite mixed, on some exams I got high C's and on others I got U's :/ Though I'll probably resit all of them anyway so I can get a high B or A's

ANOTHER thing, what are you planning to do in the year off, like are you travelling or working or anything? I'm trying to think of things that would make this year worthwhile and not a complete waste of time
    Yh defo email your college and see what exam boards your old school does, or you could email your old school directly whatever you feel more comfortable with. And yh if you just ask your tutor I'm sure they'll be willing to write you a reference, I'd ring up UCAS though and ask them how to go about doing that as I'm not 100% sure on what you would do as a teacher from my college is being my referee, unless anyone else on here knows what to do. And I know exactly what you mean! I'm really struggling with my personal statement as I really liked mine last year, its going to be hard to fit everything in but I'm sure we'll manage to write a new one that's better than last years yh I'm the same as you, so glad I chose not to go somewhere else, dw once this year is over you'll be so glad you took this year out as hopefully it will result in you getting the grades you want and you getting into the university you want and I think you can resit whichever modules you want, whether it be AS or A2, you'd just have to let the college you're resitting at know. And in my gap year I'm doing some volunteer work with a museum as its their science festival soon so I'm helping out with that and I'm trying to get some more work experience. Also I'm looking for a weekend job to get away from revision and to earn a bit before uni. I did have a job not so long ago, but I had to leave due to personal reasons and even though it was part time it was during the week and weekends so it started getting to much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paige09)
    Yh defo email your college and see what exam boards your old school does, or you could email your old school directly whatever you feel more comfortable with. And yh if you just ask your tutor I'm sure they'll be willing to write you a reference, I'd ring up UCAS though and ask them how to go about doing that as I'm not 100% sure on what you would do as a teacher from my college is being my referee, unless anyone else on here knows what to do. And I know exactly what you mean! I'm really struggling with my personal statement as I really liked mine last year, its going to be hard to fit everything in but I'm sure we'll manage to write a new one that's better than last years yh I'm the same as you, so glad I chose not to go somewhere else, dw once this year is over you'll be so glad you took this year out as hopefully it will result in you getting the grades you want and you getting into the university you want and I think you can resit whichever modules you want, whether it be AS or A2, you'd just have to let the college you're resitting at know. And in my gap year I'm doing some volunteer work with a museum as its their science festival soon so I'm helping out with that and I'm trying to get some more work experience. Also I'm looking for a weekend job to get away from revision and to earn a bit before uni. I did have a job not so long ago, but I had to leave due to personal reasons and even though it was part time it was during the week and weekends so it started getting to much.
    Yeah i'll do that, I keep meaning to e-mail my college but i never get round to it :/ yeah they will probably turn out better when we re-write them and hopefully! I'm slightly worried that I won't stay motivated and will do worse than last year i think if i get a tutor i'll be able to stay on track. that sounds fun! i looked into getting work experience or doing volunteer but i haven't found much yet :/ so I might just look for a job in a pub, restaurant or shop good luck with looking for a job! :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'll do that, I keep meaning to e-mail my college but i never get round to it :/ yeah they will probably turn out better when we re-write them and hopefully! I'm slightly worried that I won't stay motivated and will do worse than last year i think if i get a tutor i'll be able to stay on track. that sounds fun! i looked into getting work experience or doing volunteer but i haven't found much yet :/ so I might just look for a job in a pub, restaurant or shop good luck with looking for a job! :thumbsup:
    Yh, just email your college asap and get it out of the way, then it will be one less thing on your mind and I know! I'm finding it difficult to stay motivated, but I think I will be having a tutor as from next week, I would defo recommend a tutor, it's going to be difficult to keep on top of the workload without one as we're not in a classroom/college environment anymore and don't worry, something will defo come up for you with regards to work experience/volunteer work, just don't give up on trying to find some also, can I just ask, what is it that you're wanting to do at university? And thankyou! Good luck for your job hunting too!

ReputationRep:
    Yh, just email your college asap and get it out of the way, then it will be one less thing on your mind and I know! I'm finding it difficult to stay motivated, but I think I will be having a tutor as from next week, I would defo recommend a tutor, it's going to be difficult to keep on top of the workload without one as we're not in a classroom/college environment anymore and don't worry, something will defo come up for you with regards to work experience/volunteer work, just don't give up on trying to find some also, can I just ask, what is it that you're wanting to do at university? And thankyou! Good luck for your job hunting too!
    Sorry for the late reply, I've not been on my computer much this week I've just e-mailed them now, I'm slightly worried about re-doing my Biology coursework as I have to redo my AS one as well for the 3rd time, I actually got lower marks when I redid it, I still don't understand how I did so badly . I've been thinking about seeing if I can get my mark from Edexcel Bio transferred to AQA but I feel like it would be too much hassle at this point.

I haven't even properly looked into getting a tutor yet, I wasn't going to get one until December-ish but if I need them to write a reference then I'd have to get one soon. I might just see if my old teachers can do one, even though I didn't get on too well with them at college it'd be easier. Are you getting tutors for all subjects that you're resitting in, or just for the ones you feel like you'd need the extra help in? If you've already had some sessions with your tutor, how did it go? and I'm applying to do Criminology, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about seeing if I can get my mark from Edexcel Bio transferred to AQA but I feel like it would be too much hassle at this point.
    You can't transfer individual units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    You can't transfer individual units.
    No I meant the entire a-level, I'm not actually doing it though

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply, I've not been on my computer much this week I've just e-mailed them now, I'm slightly worried about re-doing my Biology coursework as I have to redo my AS one as well for the 3rd time, I actually got lower marks when I redid it, I still don't understand how I did so badly . I've been thinking about seeing if I can get my mark from Edexcel Bio transferred to AQA but I feel like it would be too much hassle at this point.

I haven't even properly looked into getting a tutor yet, I wasn't going to get one until December-ish but if I need them to write a reference then I'd have to get one soon. I might just see if my old teachers can do one, even though I didn't get on too well with them at college it'd be easier. Are you getting tutors for all subjects that you're resitting in, or just for the ones you feel like you'd need the extra help in? If you've already had some sessions with your tutor, how did it go? and I'm applying to do Criminology, what about you?
    Hey no worries, I'm late with replying this time :/ and ah that's good you've emailed your college and it's also a good thing you can resit your coursework, I can't unfortunately but same, I did so bad in it! And I think getting a tutor December time will be fine not too late, so far I've had 2 sessions with my tutor and she's been really helpful I think personally for me, I'm finding it really beneficial as it's one on one and we have been going at a pace that's right for me. At college sometimes I felt like we were going to fast and I was so not confident but yh if you think its easier to just get a reference from your college then defo do that and dw even if you didn't get on the best with them, they can't give you a rubbish reference. And ahh okay cool, I'm hoping to study biological sciences

ReputationRep:
    Hey no worries, I'm late with replying this time :/ and ah that's good you've emailed your college and it's also a good thing you can resit your coursework, I can't unfortunately but same, I did so bad in it! And I think getting a tutor December time will be fine not too late, so far I've had 2 sessions with my tutor and she's been really helpful I think personally for me, I'm finding it really beneficial as it's one on one and we have been going at a pace that's right for me. At college sometimes I felt like we were going to fast and I was so not confident but yh if you think its easier to just get a reference from your college then defo do that and dw even if you didn't get on the best with them, they can't give you a rubbish reference. And ahh okay cool, I'm hoping to study biological sciences
    How comes you can't resit it? I think coursework is actually harder than the exams! Its cool that you've found a tutor that you like and get one well with. I'm worried that I'll get one and not get along with her/him, but i guess I could always get a different one. I know what you mean, I took quite a lot of time off of college so there was stuff I missed and didn't really understand but I wasn't able to stay behind after college and go through it Have you starts your volunteer work/work experience yet? if so, hows that going? I'm in the process of applying for volunteer work at the moment, I'm really hoping I'll get it! and nice! I was originally going to do a biology based degree but then changed my mind last minute

ReputationRep:
    How comes you can't resit it? I think coursework is actually harder than the exams! Its cool that you've found a tutor that you like and get one well with. I'm worried that I'll get one and not get along with her/him, but i guess I could always get a different one. I know what you mean, I took quite a lot of time off of college so there was stuff I missed and didn't really understand but I wasn't able to stay behind after college and go through it Have you starts your volunteer work/work experience yet? if so, hows that going? I'm in the process of applying for volunteer work at the moment, I'm really hoping I'll get it! and nice! I was originally going to do a biology based degree but then changed my mind last minute
    I'm not to sure why I can't tbh, all the colleges in my area that take on external candidates just said that they can only accommodate for the resit student to redo their written exams and no coursework but I definitely agree with you! The coursework is so much harder, i hated it and dw, I'm sure if you get a tutor you'll get on with them, but yh it's defo a lot better if you have a tutor that you can work well with and aww that sucks that you weren't able to stay behind, especially as you missed some of the work, at least now you have this whole year to really concentrate on your resits and yh I've recently finished my volunteer work which was awesome and now I'm back to my work experience which is going really well and ahh okay cool, I have my fingers crossed for you so you get your volunteer work! What is it you've applied for?
    Yh i know loads of people who changed their minds at the last minute, you gotta do whats right for you I just think we are made to choose what we want to do so quickly and early on, like in one way I'm sort of glad I'm taking this gap year as I still keep changing my mind between biology and biochem! :confused: Also how's your reference and ucas coming along? Did you manage to get a former teacher to be your new reference?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm considering/need to do a maths A level if I want to get onto the masters course I'm interested in so yeah..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
    Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm considering/need to do a maths A level if I want to get onto the masters course I'm interested in so yeah..
    What is your question? Taking maths as an external candidate is normally fairly straight forward as there is no coursework.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not to sure why I can't tbh, all the colleges in my area that take on external candidates just said that they can only accommodate for the resit student to redo their written exams and no coursework but I definitely agree with you! The coursework is so much harder, i hated it and dw, I'm sure if you get a tutor you'll get on with them, but yh it's defo a lot better if you have a tutor that you can work well with and aww that sucks that you weren't able to stay behind, especially as you missed some of the work, at least now you have this whole year to really concentrate on your resits and yh I've recently finished my volunteer work which was awesome and now I'm back to my work experience which is going really well and ahh okay cool, I have my fingers crossed for you so you get your volunteer work! What is it you've applied for?
    Yh i know loads of people who changed their minds at the last minute, you gotta do whats right for you I just think we are made to choose what we want to do so quickly and early on, like in one way I'm sort of glad I'm taking this gap year as I still keep changing my mind between biology and biochem! :confused: Also how's your reference and ucas coming along? Did you manage to get a former teacher to be your new reference?
    oh ok, that sucks. I'm having to email my old teacher about coursework and a rference, so I guess its up to him if i can resit it or not :/ and I'm glad your work experience/volunteer work is going well! I don't think I'll be able to do the volunteer work that I applied for because I have to do it next year and it might clash with my lecture times and stuff, so now I'm just looking for christmas work. and its coming along ok, although I don't know if I'm supposed to put that I'm still at my old college? Because in the education section I put down that I finished in July this year, but then it won't let me put down that I'm re-sitting my exams because I already put down that I've finished college :/ what did you put? and how's yours going?

ReputationRep:
    oh ok, that sucks. I'm having to email my old teacher about coursework and a rference, so I guess its up to him if i can resit it or not :/ and I'm glad your work experience/volunteer work is going well! I don't think I'll be able to do the volunteer work that I applied for because I have to do it next year and it might clash with my lecture times and stuff, so now I'm just looking for christmas work. and its coming along ok, although I don't know if I'm supposed to put that I'm still at my old college? Because in the education section I put down that I finished in July this year, but then it won't let me put down that I'm re-sitting my exams because I already put down that I've finished college :/ what did you put? and how's yours going?
    Aww no that's rubbish that you won't be able to get your volunteer work until next year keep checking though, there may still be some things perhaps in the next school holidays or summer holidays that you could do, don't give up! And yh defo, there will be quite a few places looking for Christmas work now, I really hope you get something soon! You'll have to let me know if anything comes up
    For the whole resitting thing on UCAS, all you do is put in the college that you're doing your resits at as the college you attend and then put pending for the grades for those subjects, the link below explains better ahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUp-WNKThFI

Luckily, I've finished my new UCAS application, just waiting for a teacher from my old college to do my reference, I really hope it's done soon though as I really want to send it off.

ReputationRep:
    Aww no that's rubbish that you won't be able to get your volunteer work until next year keep checking though, there may still be some things perhaps in the next school holidays or summer holidays that you could do, don't give up! And yh defo, there will be quite a few places looking for Christmas work now, I really hope you get something soon! You'll have to let me know if anything comes up
    For the whole resitting thing on UCAS, all you do is put in the college that you're doing your resits at as the college you attend and then put pending for the grades for those subjects, the link below explains better ahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUp-WNKThFI

Luckily, I've finished my new UCAS application, just waiting for a teacher from my old college to do my reference, I really hope it's done soon though as I really want to send it off.
    Sorry for the late reply, i went to reply the other day but my ipad was messing up :/ and yeah it sucks, I was really looking forward to it. And hopefully! I'll probably look for some next summer and thanks for letting me know about the ucas thing, I was so confused!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.