Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone Else In Love With Another Country/Culture? watch

ReputationRep:
    Japan and South Korea

Teaching myself both languages right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriswhjay)
    French! J'adore Paris et France! The culture, the women, the food. That and latin america!
    Me too! I love Paris and France so much - I've been obsessed with the language and culture for as long as I can remember!

Also love a bit of Norway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overthelove)
    Me too! I love Paris and France so much - I've been obsessed with the language and culture for as long as I can remember!

Also love a bit of Norway!
    YES! French culture, and scandinavia! My aunt comes from the fjords of norway! Sweden and denmark, all of their cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriswhjay)
    YES! French culture, and scandinavia! My aunt comes from the fjords of norway! Sweden and denmark, all of their cultures.
    I completely agree! Glad there's someone out there who shares my passion too

ReputationRep:
    I love Germany too, I even studied the Basic Law.

ReputationRep:
    Greece and Italy.

ReputationRep:
    Middle east!

ReputationRep:
    France. The history in particular.

ReputationRep:
    Germany. Having spent 4-5 months out there this year, I actually feel homesick for it! The culture just matched my personality perfectly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From South Africa and living in England but have always had an obsession with New Zealand, especially the Maori culture.

ReputationRep:
    USA/Canada

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meyrin)
    人 and 女? Yes, they get ingrained into your brain very quickly. As well as 男 (man) and 子 (child.)

Isn't the reading and pronunciation the same thing? Or do you mean their English equivalent? It is difficult, and honestly I find myself forgetting on readings quite a lot. But once you get into the habit of reading more, you'll find yourself remembering them more easily. For example, the on reading of 心 (heart) is "shin" - coming across common words containing 心 like 中心 (chuushin) and 心配 (shinpai) as you go along will help that stick better.

I teach myself and I've never really used any programs (e.g. Rosetta Stone) so I can't soundly recommend anything.
    Yeah those!

Yeah I mean i remember what they mean in English but not how to say them.

You're self taught? :eek: wow. Impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Woo! Konnichiwa Do you speak Japanese?
    Of course NOT Everthing depends on the exam result that I'm gonna give at 6 september(TOEFL).According to results,I'm going to Japan for university.

So,I think I learn Japanese and kanji there,and have an opportunity to discover the mystery of east asia

ReputationRep:
    I find France, Germany, Japan and Scandinavian countries very interesting but I wouldn't want to be anything other than English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)

Yeah I mean i remember what they mean in English but not how to say them.
    人 may be pronounced hito or jin. Hito when by itself (kun reading) and jin (on reading) when part of a word, e.g. 日本人, japanese person. I call them by their kun readings, and try to find some word with it in to remember the on reading, which helps memorise them. I hope that helps for you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    人 may be pronounced hito or jin. Hito when by itself (kun reading) and jin (on reading) when part of a word, e.g. 日本人, japanese person. I call them by their kun readings, and try to find some word with it in to remember the on reading, which helps memorise them. I hope that helps for you too!

Thabk you

ReputationRep:
    Gotta be America for me. U-S-A! U-S-A!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overthelove)
    I completely agree! Glad there's someone out there who shares my passion too
    yeah !

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you guys love so much Japan or Korea given the astounding racism against anything foreign those countries have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by castelo)
    I don't know why you guys love so much Japan or Korea given the astounding racism against anything foreign those countries have.
    This is a little true.

I used to be a japan addict and spent 6 months learning the language and wanted to visit my 2 uncles to live there. But after time, I realised that anime was the only reason why so I loved it so much lol and I slowly grew out of it. I still need to finish learning Japanese. I couldn't type for **** but had a good translation rate of speakers.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.