The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

lincoln what do you want to know?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jrosemayh
Thanks Georgia!! This has been really useful! I'm really interested in going into publishing after my English Lit degree, or doing an MA. Do you have any links with publishing companies where I could do some work experience whilst at uni?

There's a really great careers service at the Uni that would do everything they can to help you get the work experience you need. They run drop in centres and courses all week. They also do something called The Lincoln Award which will give you lots of training and skills that will be useful when looking for a job. I did mine during my graduate internship when I finished my course and it really helped when I applied for the job of Social Media Officer here.

Every year the English Department hold Alumni talks where students are given the opportunity to talk to graduates who have gone on to all different kinds of career paths including publishing and postgraduate study. These are especially informative and will give you a chance to network with people within the industry.

I found the Journalism department was incredibly supportive when I did work experience and understood that I would need to miss a few lectures and seminars. I'm sure the English Department would be just the same!

Hope this helps :smile:

Georgia
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Original post by krands
What are the prospects like for the TV and Film course? What sort of jobs do graduates go on to do with a degree in TV and Film? and Finally, is Lincoln a quiet and peaceful place?

Hi there!

You'd be surprised at how many success stories our Film and TV and Media Production courses actually have! Especially for such a competitive industry. For instance did you know TomSka and Jack Howard are both Lincoln graduates? There's also Daniel Bowring who's an adventure cameraman shooting all over the world. In the past year he's worked with Bear Grylls and Freddie Flintoff when he was in the Amazon! We also have graduates working for Universal Pictures, Channel 4 and the BBC! (Can you tell I worked with the Alumni Team for a bit? ha ha)

Is Lincoln quiet and peaceful? It all depends where you go! If you venture onto the High Street on a Saturday night— No. If you take a stroll up to the Cathedral and Castle—Yes! Lincoln's one of those cities that is big enough to have a lot going on so you don't get bored, but is also small enough that you always feel safe walking around.

Georgia
Hi,
I was offered a conditional place on the English course at Lincoln next year yesterday so I have a few questions.
1) I'm a young mature student (I'm 32 although I have a young outlook on life) and I'm looking at living in accommodation. Is it a lottery with regards to which age groups end up living together?
2) What is the LGBT scene like within the Uni.
3) What are your overall impressions of the Uni?

Thankyou,
Emma x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmmaVicky32
Hi,
I was offered a conditional place on the English course at Lincoln next year yesterday so I have a few questions.
1) I'm a young mature student (I'm 32 although I have a young outlook on life) and I'm looking at living in accommodation. Is it a lottery with regards to which age groups end up living together?
2) What is the LGBT scene like within the Uni.
3) What are your overall impressions of the Uni?

Thankyou,
Emma x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm a first year law student, the LGBT scene in the uni itself is pretty good. There is an LGBT society. Outside the uni though, its what you would expect in a town like this. There is one club in terms of nightlife but most LGBT don't go there they filter into the citys clubs inner city. There are a lot of LGBT.
In terms of the overall outlook of the uni and Lincoln it is a very pleasant town. Its very pleasant, the city centre is very nice.
One criticism though is that the city is a bit cut off if you don't have a car. If you want to get anywhere then you're gona hav to get a train to Sheffield or Nottingham first.
I do drive and that leads onto another question. What is the car parking situation like with the accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmmaVicky32
I do drive and that leads onto another question. What is the car parking situation like with the accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much non-existent. You can't park at the uni owned accommodation overnight unless you have a good reason (e.g disability), and you can't at most of the privately owned ones either.

Everyone I know who has a car in Lincoln lives in a house, and even then they have to pay for a permit first. Although saying that by about march last year a couple of my mates had managed to get hold of permits to park at the uni accom for various reasons :tongue:
How likely is it that I'll get uni halls if Lincoln is my insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. If you put a good spread of choices it can be quite likely. Always a turnaround of applications so often a range of choices become available

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya, I have an unconditional offer Media Production and i'm trying to make final decisions etc and I have a few questions!!

Are there opportunities to study abroad?
Do you know anyone that does Media Production and do they enjoy it?
And whats the music scene like, i.e do many bands/artists come to Lincoln?
Hello:smile: I have an un conditional offer to study creative advertising, anyone who has stayed in the student village for year one, whats it like? Would you recommend not staying there and going somewhere like the junction? Or pavilions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the best mobile phone service around Campus? Is there 4G yet?
Original post by 93jm
hello all. I have made this thread for anyone with any questions about Lincoln as a student now going in to my 3rd year I fell I know a lot about the place. so ask away

What are you're favourite things about Lincoln? Both the place and the university. What makes it stand out from the rest?
Original post by HollyAlanaa
Hello:smile: I have an un conditional offer to study creative advertising, anyone who has stayed in the student village for year one, whats it like? Would you recommend not staying there and going somewhere like the junction? Or pavilions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there!

First off, congratulations on your unconditional offer!
Where you stay all depends on your budget/tastes etc. I had loads of friends who stayed in the Student Village in their first year and I never heard them complain at all! There's a real sense of community there and everyone was really tight knit.

I wouldn't worry too much about accommodation though because although they take your choice into consideration, sometimes the accommodation team have to place people in their second or third choice due to the level of requests. All the accommodation is quite similar and all within walking distance of campus.

Georgia
(Lincoln Journalism graduate and Social Media Officer)
Original post by UniLincolnRep
Hi there!

First off, congratulations on your unconditional offer!
Where you stay all depends on your budget/tastes etc. I had loads of friends who stayed in the Student Village in their first year and I never heard them complain at all! There's a real sense of community there and everyone was really tight knit.

I wouldn't worry too much about accommodation though because although they take your choice into consideration, sometimes the accommodation team have to place people in their second or third choice due to the level of requests. All the accommodation is quite similar and all within walking distance of campus.

Georgia
(Lincoln Journalism graduate and Social Media Officer)

Hey:smile: Thanks, would you say that pavillion or the junction are just as nice?
Holly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HollyAlanaa
Hey:smile: Thanks, would you say that pavillion or the junction are just as nice?
Holly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Holly,
I would definitely say both the Pavilions and the Junxion are just as nice and they both have the added bonus of a 32" TV with a free TV licence in the common area :wink:

Hope this helps.

Georgia
Original post by UniLincolnRep
Hi Holly,
I would definitely say both the Pavilions and the Junxion are just as nice and they both have the added bonus of a 32" TV with a free TV licence in the common area :wink:

Hope this helps.

Georgia

Hey, thanks thats great!
Really looking forward to uni!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello, im starting my a-levels next year. I know the website says for zoology course you need 300 ucas points (including 80 in biology), will i get on the course without any other sciences then? I have put down Biology, French, history and chemistry as my options, but am thinking of swapping chemistry for something like geography because i find chemistry so so hard and its a big jump frmo gcse level to alevel (at my school i need an A at gcse to get onto the alevel course because its a reallt hard course). so yeah will i be okay with only biology as a science? or will other people who have other sciences get in and will i get rejected??? thanks!
Hi, this might sound a bit weird but do you have a local market? Or a bakery nearby to student accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest