#Catcalling Video Maker Receives "Rape and Death Threats" Online. Watch

geneticist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Since when saying hi is sexual harassment?

I've never been to usa but i know it's normal for people to say hi to strangers.

Such a self victimizing video.I have a solution for her: Don't walk on the streets.
Jono404
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ridiculous double standard with the "Alex from Target" thing that was trending last week. Saying hi to a woman = misogyny but fawning over a creepshot of a boy and sending threats to his girlfriend is fine. Also this, which has 172k followers on Insta:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/dilfs...youve-actually

I'd be interested to see the reaction to a ****S OF DISNEYLAND Instagram.Thankfully the double standard has quickly been pointed out in the comments.
Spetznaaz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As far as i was aware, the woman in the video was an actress, she did not make the video.

The video was made by a bloke, who realised angry idiots (feminists) will willingly give up money. I wonder how much he made in donations from all the butt hurt feminists. He's probably laughing his arse off right now.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
But to these people, talking without permission is rape, and rape is not a right. If it's not a right it's a privilege (tentative), ergo, as rape is not a right it's a privilege and as speech is rape it is a privilege. Logic sounds about right for them.
Yeah, that's just stupid. Talking to someone is never rape.

Y'know what is rape? Rape.
Unkempt_One
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by geneticist)
Since when saying hi is sexual harassment?

I've never been to usa but i know it's normal for people to say hi to strangers.

Such a self victimizing video.I have a solution for her: Don't walk on the streets.
There's a really bizarre form of feminism that seems to be gaining traction in a lot of places but particularly certain regions in the USA. This kind of thing really defies common sense but it's just the tip of the iceberg unfortunately.
geneticist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Unkempt_One)
There's a really bizarre form of feminism that seems to be gaining traction in a lot of places but particularly certain regions in the USA. This kind of thing really defies common sense but it's just the tip of the iceberg unfortunately.
Exactly, also they are completely muted when it comes to horrible things, for example violence against women is the middle east, asia etc.

And she's asking for money when there are hundreds of thousands of scientists, labs desperately need funding.Anyone who donates a penny to this **** is a retard.
Jono404
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also the experiment was repeated in NZ and the girl was approached twice, once for directions once by a tourist who curiously asked whether she was Italian, then left her alone.

http://gawker.com/that-catcalling-ex...new-1654913202
ParadiseFound
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was procrastinating on youtube and only just bothered watching the infamous video , a few points

1) She was really attractive , generally attractive people , irrespective of sex will garner lots of attention . If you are a really attractive male you will recieve lots of attention too , but girls are much more coy about it . Your average girl will not get cat called as much as this , but unfortunately if you are a stunner then men are going to try their luck with you im afraid .

2 ) Do I think its wrong ? Both yes and no . Some of the guys were directly out of order , such as the ones demanding her to smile and the creep following her . They would not dare do this sort of thing had she had a male companion around
her.

I think it is correct to call these cases verbal harrasment as they may bring distress to the victim , just looking at her you could tell she was uncomfortable and I would genuinely fear for her safety if she was walking around such parts by herself. It was like GTA or something , every person she walked past had a reaction lol .

Calling it RAPE though is completely ridiculous and trivalises rape.

However , as a society we have urged men to be agressive in their pursuits and court women they desire or believe to desire them , so its not really suprising seeing this happen
ParadiseFound
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As for all the "red pill philosophers" and people calling this a radical feminist experiment , I ask you this : How would you feel if that was your little sister / wife / close friend , being harrased every time she goes out ? Having to fear for her safety for simply being an attractive woman ? You would probably want to beat the crap out of the guys that were following her and acting seriously creepy right ? God knows what could have happened to her.

Though I agree its not sexual harrasment or anything like that , its not acceptable for a woman to have to put up with that for simply existing.

As men we do have a privelege in that we can go wherever the hell we want , do whatever the hell we want , dress however the hell we want , without having to our worry about being harassed like she was ( Even though men are higher victims of crime , its another thing to have to put up with harrasment in your everyday situation )

I'm not saying we need to tell men to stop approaching girls but some men seriously need a bit of a wake up call as to whats acceptable and whats not . I don't know how we can do this without being condescending or ridiculous mind you .
Ade9000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ParadiseFound)
As men we do have a privelege in that we can go wherever the hell we want , do whatever the hell we want , dress however the hell we want , without having to our worry about being harassed like she was ( Even though men are higher victims of crime , its another thing to have to put up with harrasment in your everyday situation )
The bits in bold are somewhat contradictory. If we are more likely to be victims of crime then that shows that we don't have the privilege of doing as we please.
ParadiseFound
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ade9000)
The bits in bold are somewhat contradictory. If we are more likely to be victims of crime then that shows that we don't have the privilege of doing as we please.
I did think of that when writing the post , hence why I tried to make it clear I was talking about our privelege in regards to recieving unwarranted a and frankly quite threatening approaches by the opposite or same sex.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DErasmus)
Do men say 'have a nice day' to other men? The problem is the context, if they were in cafe or bar fair enough, but a woman should be able to walk down the street without having comments made about her.
If someone says have a nice day they aren't saying anything about you. Saying things like that is not harassment and to me all the video really showed was how much of a big deal is made out of noting; most of the men simply said 'hello' or some other form of greeting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ParadiseFound
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Guys , you might want to have a look at this .

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...J78ns7zeL2IaG6
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (468)
38.08%
No - but I will (95)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.11%

Watched Threads